• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Can anyone identify?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looks Austrian. Perhaps an 1849 Garibaldi rifle that has been bored out for later use as a shotgun? It seems out of place to have the rifle sights and a smooth bore.

There are people with more knowledge than me around here, but maybe that will give you a place to start narrowing it down.

Dave Person said:
Hi,
I think it is a model 1854 Austrian rifle.

dave

I'm curious why you would think that? Pictures of the Austrian 1854 Lorenz Rifle I have found show different trigger guard and sights, as well as having a lack of a cheekpiece. The Austrian 1849 Garibaldi Rifle has all these features. Same sights same trigger guard, same cheekpiece.

Give me a reason to believe.

Hi,
I did not say it was a Lorenz. There is another model 1854 rifle in the Austrian arsenal evolved from the earlier Jagerstutzen rifles. Perhaps you call it a "Garabaldi" but the pattern is 1854 not 1849 unless the hammer has been replaced. It does not have the severely curled hammer of the 1849.

dave

Dave Person said:
Hi,
I did not say it was a Lorenz. There is another model 1854 rifle in the Austrian arsenal evolved from the earlier Jagerstutzen rifles. Perhaps you call it a "Garabaldi" but the pattern is 1854 not 1849 unless the hammer has been replaced. It does not have the severely curled hammer of the 1849.

dave

Have you got a link or a reference?

Hi,
Below is a link showing a model 1854 jagerstutzen. However, I changed my mind and agree that it looks like a model 1849. The gun in the link below has a full snail on the barrel with notch in the lockplate, however, earlier versions of this gun had plates that went straight across under the snail with no notch. https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/austrian-model-1854-civil-war-import-jager-stutzen-rifle-185484

Regardless, the OP's gun is longer and the rear swivel is tucked behind the hand rail rather than set further back on the stock. The hammer must have a lot of wear and appear shortened. I wonder what the caliber is? If a model 1849 it should be larger than 0.69.

dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Back