• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Can anyone identify this pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is the piece that got me started. The frizzen is too soft to spark and I've tried hardening and roughing it up. Curious if anyone knows what it is and where I can get parts (i.e., a new frizzen)

Attachments

• IMG_20200708_201809.jpg
    IMG_20200708_201809.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20200708_201820.jpg
    IMG_20200708_201820.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20200708_201833.jpg
    IMG_20200708_201833.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 134
Looks for all the world very similar to one of the Japanese made "Tower" pistols.

As far as finding parts, not going to be particularly easy. You could try casehardening the frizzen with a product like Kasenit, Brownell's Case Hardening Compound, or Cherry Red..

Or there's the old fashioned way with charcoal in a fire, by taking a seald can, like a paint can filling it with crushed charcoal and burying the frizzen, wrapped in leather scraps in it and tossing it a fire in your woodstove(illustrated in the below vids. The

Used to be a guy who repaired and made parts for locks but I can;t think of his outfits name right now and can't find it. If I run across it I'll post it up if someone doesn't beat me to it

Alternately you could "line the frizzen with a piece of hard steel, like a hacksaw blade, soldering the blade to the face of the frizzen

Hardening compounds:

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn...MI5onByvq-6gIVQZyzCh0zoQilEAQYBCABEgJ2dPD_BwE
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...y&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=083-000-033
https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn...MI5onByvq-6gIVQZyzCh0zoQilEAQYBSABEgKg9PD_BwE
Lots of vids on Youtube on casehardening:

Coat of arms looks like Eibar 1929 admission of proof for older arms.
Pretty sure the oOo is single barrel proof.

Those are the definitive black powder proof marks of the Spanish proof house in Eibar, Spain. The crest of Eibar (thing with the X in it) was used after 1931. The pistol is a reproduction of an early Spanish pistol. The three circles means Black powder.

That's really good to know - thanks! I had hoped someone would be familiar with it. The barrel is very good, but the rest of it not so much.

Hi Alan

Hopping is right. I think (?) this might be one of those less than a handful of Spanish made guns that came from Eibar during the Centennial in the 1980's. If so, it would be quite rare to see another. I've heard Navy Arms imported a very few of the muskets back then - one of which I have. But this is the first time I've seen a pistol like yours. Would be worth getting the frizzen hardened for shooting. The barrel on my replica 1757 Spanish musket has similar proofs/markings.

Rick
1757 Spanish Musket 025 (Medium).JPG
1757 Spanish Musket 026 (Medium).JPG

Alan:

The proof marks in the bottom picture just above this post are Spanish. The 700 Kp/cm^2 stamping indicates the pressure that was used for the test. That pressure is equal to 9956.34 PSI.

The 18,2 stamp indicates the bore size in mm. That equals .7165 inches. I think the 2006 mark indicates the year the gun was made.

As for the Firearms Identification area of the forum, that area is reserved for authentic, original antique guns. This gun doesn't qualify for that so, you put the post in the right area of the forum. :)

I've replaced soft frizzens with Siler small rifle frizzens. I get the raw castings and with a little file and drill press work they can be made to fit just about any lock. The only drawback is they are not original to the manufacturer.

Back