• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can anyone give me some info on this Ron Long percussion lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper1993

40 Cal
Reaction score
I picked this up for 20 or 30 dollars. It says LONG'S LOCKS and DENVER on the back. From what i've read he made locks during the 70s and 80s. Can anyone tell me what model lock this is or what kit it came off of? I'm not sure why there is a hump forward of the hammer with a screw hole drilled into it, ive never seen anything like that on a lock before. I'm hoping to build a plains style rifle with a 54 cal sharon barrel, this lock and a walnut stock.
20220412_194440.jpg
20220412_194451.jpg

I have Ron long flintlock that the plate looks like yours. I agree it looks like a flint converted to percussion.
You did well for $20-$30.

That was originally one of Ron Long's Hawken flintlocks as you guessed, Trapper1993.

Here is an ad from Muzzle Blasts a little after Long introduced the lock.
79_01 BR Longs Hawken flintlock ad.jpg

Here are some pictures of one of these locks in its original unaltered state.

IMG_7504_1800.jpg

IMG_7506_1800.jpg

I'm not sure why there is a hump forward of the hammer with a screw hole drilled into it,

Note the "hump forward of the hammer with a screw hole drilled into it" was part of the original designed of the flintlock. The rounded "hump" follows the shape of the frizzen bridle which was cut off as part of the conversion to percussion.

Wasn't Long bought out by Davis and then Log Cabin Shop

That is correct, but the story is a little more convoluted than that. Ron Long sold his lock, trigger, and breech plug business to Tim Houseweart at the end of 1981 as documented in this item from the Sept-Oct 1985 issue of Muzzleloader magazine.
85_09-10 ML Long's Locks sold to Tim Houseweart.jpg

At some point, Houseweart lost interest in the lock making business and decided to sell it. The first buyer to make an offer was Tom Faux of Brighton, CO. Faux apparently only wanted the Hawken flintlock, so he purchased the molds and jigs from Houseweart for just that lock and proceded to make and sell Ron Long's flintlock and possibly some other locks he developed.

In the meantime, R. E. Davis approached Houseweart about buying the whole business, and they were able to reach agreement on price and conclude the sale. It is my understanding, though I have no first hand knowledge or proof, that Houseweart didn't disclose that the flintlock molds and jigs were not part of the deal. In any event, Davis asked Ron Long to make another set of molds for the flintlock.

This second set of flintlock molds are similar for the external parts to the first set that Tom Faux had, but Ron Long made some changes in the internal parts. The differences are great enough that some or all of the internal parts between the first and second set of molds are not interchangeable.

Tom Faux eventually decided to quit the lock making business and sold the Ron Long flint Hawken molds and jigs, along with some other items, to The Hawken Shop of Oak Harbor, WA who are currently producing the lock.

As cannonball1 stated, Log Cabin Shop purchased the RE Davis Company and rights to all their products.

Trapper1993, if you ever need to replace any of the internal parts on your lock, you should contact The Hawken Shop for replacements rather than the Log Cabin Shop to ensure they fit properly.

Back