• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can anyone attest to the quality of this bag from crazy crow?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crazy Crow's German tanned buckskin is not as strong as real brain tan, this is certainly true, but it is not bad for bags and such if you can't tan your own or afford the prices brain tan go for these days.
My concern would be the quality of Stitching and what was used to sew it, the overall construction. Not being able to See it, Touch it, or even know 'who' made it - Buyer Beware.

With that said; I bought some of their 'Smoked' German tan (**it was smoked but not REAL smoked, it just had a pleasant 'smokey' smell...which did not last and did not effect the color as true smoke tan would) - but it did make a fine bag I have used for years now and still not showing any wear other then getting dirty.
Trick was using ticking for liner (prevent stretching) , using Welts between pieces to prevent cut through.
Also the piece I got was discounted as 'reject' since one shoulder was not fully tanned (half way to rawhide and worked great for the back panel).

Also I agree; ditch the artificial sinew and use a good linen thread or even leather/buckskin lace (lots of buckskin and elk lace can be found on etc, even real brain tan if you look hard enough).

As for doing your own quilwork - I haven't tried quill yet but that looks like a good beginner's pattern to start with and some good tutorials out there for it.

In the end you will pay more but will have something that won't fall apart after a few outings.

Back