• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Can anybody help me to identify this precussion pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at the first couple of photos and my first impression was Middle Eastern copy but the photos are dark and it's hard to see detail. I didn't come back till just now and I'll still go with my first impression and I pretty much agree with Rick. I just copied the photos and lightened them to see more detail and I didn't see anything that would convince me to change my mind.

Beware the seller who posts dark or fuzzy photos, there's often a good reason for that. The usual excuses are "I only had my phone"-today's phones take excellent photos often rivaling expensive cameras. "I don't know how to take pictures"- a few minutes online will tell you everything you kneed to know about your camera. "I can't edit my photos"- BS, computers and phones allow you to take clear photos up front and correct any faults later if you don't and it doesn't take long to learn how to use the functions.

Like but have to disagree . I must be wired on too old a principal I'me good with steam engines and not too bad with lock mechanics but hanged if I can grasp this E gajet stuff . .Nice dog .
Respects & .Regards Rudyard

a question, on pistols both flint lock and percussion with swivel ram rods attached to the underside of the barrel, what end is used to load and clean. does the fiat end go in first or the slim end go in first? it seams to me that the rounded end would would be easier on the palm of the hand? I have always wondered? any ne know? thanks' toot.

This pistol is most likely made in India, and sometime before yesterday.
No British ordnance pistols had octagonal barrels, the percussioning is all off as well.
It's from the land of nearly right, or half right.
Cowboy,
The pistol you show is also a Khyber job at best.

Sorry to be blunt, but not much time, and Rick and Rudyard have it sussed right.

All the best,
Richard.

Harmonica Man: If you really like the pistol, I would not pay more than half the seller's asking price. If you were planning on making a shooter, you would likely need a new barrel. Or have the barrel inspected by a knowledgeable "black powder" gunsmith to determine if the barrel is original and can be refurbished to shooting condition, in case the barrel also is a poor quality, locally made copy (I've seen this).

Toot: That swivel ramrod is often called a "captured" ramrod. It's purpose of course being so the the ramrod is not dropped/lost while reloading from horseback.

It would amaze you how many of these Eastern made copies of guns were made. Some for the tourist trade, and others actually made to shoot, even if made with parts of dubious quality. Here is an Afghan pistol probably made for the tourist industry sometime in the first half of the 20th Century. The lock, barrel,
001 (Medium).JPG
all locally made copies.

Rick

Thanks. if i decide to try getting it ill try to get the prize a bit down.
I was also thinking that if i get it, that ill be trying to make it shoot safe, soo going to a gunsmith is no bad idea.
Do you know about anybody who could make a new barrel for pistols like thees if its needed?

Hi Harmonica

Off hand I don't have any sources for black powder gunsmiths in the Euro Zone area. But you might Google research this subject. Also, research and see if you have a black powder muzzle loading gun club in your area. Members at a club can be of great help and resource. You will also want to have the percussion bolster on the barrel checked out and the breech plug removed and inspected. If it's an original type barrel the breech plug will be threaded in the barrel. But if the barrel is a locally made copy, it may or may not be threaded. I've seen ones that the breech plug has no threads and is simply sweated to the barrel and then welded. In that case, you want a new barrel.
A new barrel itself can be duplicated at a reasonable cost. But adding/shaping a new bolster, re-attaching the ramrod assembly, re-mounting the front sight, and tuning the lock will add to the cost. But, it can all be done. It's just a matter of how dedicated you are and your budget.

Rick

Hello again.
I just got a new picture of the lock-plate of the pistol.
its very worn, but it looks like there was some kind of marking behind the hammer.
please tell me what all of you can make out of it.

Thank you all for all of the replies.

1599302922348.png

I was able to see a picture of the bore. well, now i dont want to buy it at all.

Anyway i think the price the seller set was to high and he kept insisting that it was a proper enfield so my trust in him did deterioate a lot.

Thanks for all of the replies anyway.

The captive ramrod was usually part of a pistol that was predominantly used on horseback - think Dragoons and Lancers - Google British Army Lancers pistol of Pattern 1842. The ramrod is withdrawn from the stock and rotated on the swivel so that the LARGE end can be used to push down the ball and wadding. No patches usually were used in action, but perhaps a bit of rag as wadding. The smaller end of the ramrod is enlarged somewhat to prevent it from coming out of the swivel - this end, of course, is usually hidden under the stock.

The pistol, BTW, is worth as much as the OP is willing to pay for it. Personally, I wouldn't give it houseroom.

T Foley,
Many captive rammers were made with the large end against the hand, and too large to fit the bore.
This is the fastest and easiest type to use. My pistol has this type. Simply pull out, and swivel the 'thin' end over the ball and ram.
Most times, Cartridges were used in military pistols, so the paper went down with the ball.

Very best,
Richard.

T Foley, Many captive rammers were made with the large end against the hand, and too large to fit the bore. This is the fastest and easiest type to use. My pistol has this type. Simply pull out, and swivel the 'thin' end over the ball and ram. Most times, Cartridges were used in military pistols, so the paper went down with the ball. Very best, Richard.

Thank you for that. I used to shoot a British Pattern 42 lancer's pistol, and the owner provided me with pre-cut cotton wadding and sometimes, tow. Noting your comment about which end get used to make contact with the ball, it seemed to me that the cupped end of the ramrod would be more suitable a fit than the smaller end, which is the way he shot his. However, I bow to your greater knowledge.

Back