• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Can a .50 barrel rebore to .58 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, need some help and I know one of you know! Can a .50 cal barrel be rebored to .58 cal. I have a .50cal New Englander barrel that I would like to have bored to .58 Tried contacting Mr Hoyt but recording is all you get, not taking anything till March. If this will not work I would like to know so I can move on to another barrel or patiently wait. Thanks for reading.

The consideration is how deep are the screw holes and dovetails that have been drilled/cut into the barrel. I had a .50 TC Renegade bored to .58 last spring by Bobby Hoyt, he told me he could have gone to .62 if I had wanted. Just depends on the depth of the holes. There's other people around that can bore that barrel f you don't want to wait. Check with your local gunsmith, it ain't rocket science.

I had a Renegade .50 drilled to .58. as centershot said depends on the depth of holes and dovetails. Also, if I remember correctly New Englanders have round barrels so that could make a difference. Renegade barrel is 1" across the flats and octagonal. I trust Bobby Hoyt and would wait for him.

Back