• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Camping off a mule?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I moved to Ohio, I bred donkeys for ranchers - they protect the cattle herds from coyotes and wolves.
BUT - they also make excellent pack animals!
It is fairly easy to train a donkey to carry a packsaddle (downsized a bit!) for extended periods of time. And like mules, they are extremely sure footed. And if you don't weigh over 250 lb. or so, they can carry you.
Donkeys are also easy to care for. Some hay, a scoop or two of sweet feed, water supply - all you really need. A cookie will help you make friends with the gentle animals.
And donkeys are also creatures of habit - they will make all their poops in one small area, and the manure is excellent fertilizer for your wife's garden. You will need a good-sized fenced backyard - I usually held two donkeys on 1/3 acre. A tree or a shed will protect them from weather.

Had the same idea at one time. Then I priced a pair of good mules and tack. o_O That put an end to that idea. But, I did buy a large donkey to use for pack only. Problem was the amount of time necessary to keep broken to be lead. Pulling a 500 lb. donkey that is not interested in walking is kinda tiring. Never used him for a hunting trip. But, I did spend a lot of scouring the county looking for him after he got out of the pasture. Sold him for less than I paid. Good riddance.
Yeah when I looked up 'dead broke trail mule' yesterday the prices definitely caught me a little off guard...looked like around 3k was the starting point for anything worth buying. I'll be able to afford one pair of ears and its rig, but in no way shape or form two. I think I could fit my whole camp in a bedroll and a pair of large saddlebags. A quartered up whitetail in something like a market wallet would be the only other luggage.

My wife and daughter hunting with me north of Weiser, Idaho. We had our burro very heavily loaded, going up a steep 1/4 mile trail; Half way up we came to a downed tree blocking the trail. The woods were so heavy the laden burro could not go around. As I was trying to figure out how to get turned around to go back down, that little rascal, [named Cromwell by my daughter], solved the problem. He simply hunkered down and went over the downed tree. He went at least as high as my waist with a 200 pound burden. Cromwell turned his head around and looked at us as if to say "what's keeping you?" We had a great three day camp on the mountain and hauled out a nice doe. Loved that burro. Polecat

Dusty T,

It sounds like all you need too do is find you a mule!👍

In Tennessee , the TWRA has created horse/mule trails on some WMA’s.

However I don’t think animals are allowed during deer hunting season …👍

Good Luck in your mule search..👍🍀
You right they dont on hunts our hunts they would be some city slicker that would shoot it thanking it was adeer lol

My Son and I backpack into the Colorado Rockies every year on a two week archery and muzzleloader elk hunt. Our chosen area we camp is a six hour pack in and we take provisions for the whole 2 weeks. We have been doing this trip for the last 10 years and every year we do get an elk or two. Last year I got a bull and it was warmer weather so we could not run numerous trips out, it had to be done in one. I was 59 last year and probably the first time that I "Really Felt It". As we were nearing the truck I said to him "Son I Think We Need A Mule" and he quickly replied back "Dad You are My Mule"

I have owned a few horses in my day, and have done a fair amount of horse camping, but I have always thought that a riding mule would be really great. At 90 years of age I am not likely to get around to it, but who knows? The mule probably wouldn't care how old I was.
I would love to join you on a mule trek, just us 90 year olds ... ain't gonna happen,. :rolleyes: Dale

Mules might not have been introduced to the British Colonies, and colonist may have never seen one, but the Spaniards were breeding them for packing and riding. Even Hernando de Soto arrived in Florida in 1539 with a complement of mules as well as horses and jack donkeys so as to breed mules as needed. Horses, donkeys and mules were introduced to the Americas as early as 1495 by Columbus.
That interesting. In fact I can’t think of a period reference to miles until after 1821 for the states.
Howsomever, until the Church of England was formed churchman, all the way up to archbishop in England had to ride a mule. Knights often used mules while in transport, leading their war horse until needed. Only the top, wealthy knights could afford two horses.
In Italy priors could ride a horse, and bishops or above were often feudal lords, and could ride a horse on secular duties, but was expected to be humble and on a mule for church duties.
I wonder why mules would have not been used in England and the colonies

That interesting. In fact I can’t think of a period reference to miles until after 1821 for the states.
Howsomever, until the Church of England was formed churchman, all the way up to archbishop in England had to ride a mule. Knights often used mules while in transport, leading their war horse until needed. Only the top, wealthy knights could afford two horses.
In Italy priors could ride a horse, and bishops or above were often feudal lords, and could ride a horse on secular duties, but was expected to be humble and on a mule for church duties.
I wonder why mules would have not been used in England and the colonies
It's very interesting indeed. Historians have noted that when Desoto arrived in present day Tampa, Fl, he off loaded 600 men and 220 horses and mules, as well as a quantity of donkeys, pigs, and war dogs. When Desoto traveled through Alabama in 1540, it is reported that he had horses as well as mules. I've read that once the Conquistadores reached the South West, horse mules (Jacks) were used primarily for packing, and the mare mules were ridden due to more of an easy going nature than the Jacks.

Probably not, unless you can prove that you are an experienced horseman/muleskinner, and have the tools and know how to replace a lost or loose shoe. Knowledge of what to do in case the animal begins to go lame, gets injured, and signs of heat exhaustion. For a week, you would need to also rent a pack animal for carrying feed, supplies, needed to provide for both animals. Be knowledgeable in packing skills, which include rigging the pack saddle, and properly loading and unloading the pack. I've owned and fooled with horses and mules since I was a kid, I wouldn't loan or rent unless I was assured that the individual knew what he was doing.

I read a couple of years ago about a drop camp in Colorado. You "rode along" with an outfitter into a remote area and he left you there for a week (or two) there was a wall tent, etc. already there. Maybe something like that.

Probably not, unless you can prove that you are an experienced horseman/muleskinner, and have the tools and know how to replace a lost or loose shoe. Knowledge of what to do in case the animal begins to go lame, gets injured, and signs of heat exhaustion. For a week, you would need to also rent a pack animal for carrying feed, supplies, needed to provide for both animals. Be knowledgeable in packing skills, which include rigging the pack saddle, and properly loading and unloading the pack. I've owned and fooled with horses and mules since I was a kid, I wouldn't loan or rent unless I was assured that the individual knew what he was doing.
Yes, a good livestock owner won't let just anyone rent their animal.

Any suggestions as far as your opinion on a good rig? Saddle, bags, bits, necessary/unnecessary rigging? John or Molly? Young animal and train, or older dead broke?

I'm in need of knowledge in this department.

Any suggestions as far as your opinion on a good rig? Saddle, bags, bits, necessary/unnecessary rigging? John or Molly? Young animal and train, or older dead broke?

Been a long time since I've loaded a pack animal. Here's some titles of books we use to sell in our shop back in the early nineties.

Horse Packing in Pictures by Francis W. Davis

Packin' in on Mules and Horses by Smoke Elser 1980

U.S. Army FM 25-7 Pack Transportation 1944

Some good videos

Are you a combat veteran?
If so I can possibly suggest someone to contact for some training.

Check out Steve Edwards, Mule Creek Ranch, he's knowledgeable about packing and riding mules. He has some great training videos that you can watch online. I've had mules for over 30 years. You can buy a gentle, fully trained mule, but it will take a little time for him to trust you. A good mule will cost you something. Most are sold online with people bidding from across the country and even the world. It's gotten where only the wealthy can buy one. Go online to EquineNow and type in mules for sale and you will see what I mean.

Back