• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cambier flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NO NO leave it as it is please.Any attempt at cleaning this up will greatly diminish it's value both in money and history .
NB people who over clean and over repair original pieces are banished to spend eternity with sodomites . :nono:

This to me looks like a middling Netherlandish gun from a region with German influence.

Would love to. Is there a good source for a proper flint? The barrel is clean and the flash hole open.
I've never shot black powder, but have experience with almost every other type of gun. Will look into any clubs that are in my area for proper procedure.
I guess they, if there is one near by, will have a supply of flints.
Thanks to all for all your thoughts.
G.W.

If your planning on shooting your gun, go to our Flintlock area of the forum.

You'll find more information about shooting a flintlock there than you ever wanted to know.

The most important thing is that only real black powder will work reliably in a flintlock.

The synthetic black powder replacements like Pyrodex, Seven7seven, etc are made for percussion guns and will misfire.

If your lucky you can find real black powder at a local gunstore but you will have to ask for it.
They cannot have it sitting out on a shelf like the phony black and smokeless powders because of Federal regulations.

Hi William. The best source I can think of is to just box up the gun and send it to ME. I'll fit the right size flint and leather for you. Shouldn't take me more than 2 or 3 months! :rotf:
Nice looking pistol. Rick. :thumbsup:

You got it Rick, It's being put in an envelope this morning. I'll make sure it's taped up real well as to not fall out. Oh of course, return postage prepaid. I'll send it the day before yesterday.

A very nice pistol Mr. William! I see that several possible locals for it's manufacture have been brought up by some of this forums best experts. About all I can add is a plausable possibility of a Russian origin. Some fine similar work is known to have come out of Tula in the early to mid 18th century. The gunsmiths working there were from all over Europe including northern Italy (Bresica), France, Germanic territories, and Russia.

What gets me is there are no real proof marks except what is stamped on the underside of the barrel and the name CAMBIER engraved on the lock. I'm going to disassemble the pistol and go over with a loop, hopefully to find that elusive proof stamp. Will post what I find.
Thanks to all,
G.W.

Latest posts

Back