• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cambier flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G.William

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Jehan Cambier made cannons in the 1400's
Does anyone know the origin of this pistol with Cambier engraved into lockplate?

It's the real deal ,early to mid 1700s , you would be much better off posting this to the firearm ID forum where it will attract some good replies :)

I don't have any information for you, but I hope someone does! I keep checking back to see. That's a really cool gun! :thumbsup:

The trig.guard and side plate sculptureing look French or ?? but the inside of the lock sure looks British to me. It is a nice piece, good condition.

:idunno:

I didn't mean to say that I think it is British. There would be proof marks on the barrel if it was. None present that I can see. German?? Hell, where is Phil? Or jgk?

There is gold leaf in recessed areas. Though most is long gone. Is there any other pic's or????? that will help.

Hi William. WOW! This is a tough one. :hmm:
The brass mounts look Mediterranean - maybe Italian? The lock and overall gun look about mid-18th Century. It looks like the top screw was replaced at some point in the past. The curved lip on the top jaw is really unusual. I've only seen this feature on Balkan/Turkish locks. And that name on the lock plate - :idunno: The name on the lock plate may be spurious. And that would not be unusual - especially Italian made guns/locks/barrels that were made for export to the Turkish markets. A well known European family name would be perceived as adding value to the gun in parts of the Mediterranean where many of the people could not read or write their own language, much less a foreign one.
But I'm just speculating here. Maybe we will get some other ideas here. Overall, this one stumps me. But a really cool looking pistol for sure. And in nice condition. Rick. :hatsoff:

Thanks for the input Ricky, sure would like to date and find origin. Not looking to sell. Does anyone know what aprox. value may be?
Thanks

:confused: so many mixes and no proofs on the top of the barrel , high end Leige maybe .Could have been purchased in a hurry before being proofed. A lot of Brits & Colonials considered the high end Leige guns better then the cheap lowend London guns.

Rick, The hardware on this pistol has a somewhat "baroque" feel to them...
I wonder if a Gargoyle butt mask would be accepeted by the Muslem world of that time...
have you come across any examples of Turkish or Middle eastren guns using these?

Hi Allen. This pistol really has me stumped :hmm:
Baroque? Yes, could be. This pistol somehow reminds me of a mid-18th Century Dutch officers pistol (?). The Dutch were known to commonly use a variety of Italian/French/German influences, especially on private contract pistols.
Seems like every time I look at this gun I come to a different conclusion. :haha:
No, I do not believe this gun was exported to the Balkan/Turkish market. It is definitely European made. The only features of the lock that replicate the Balkan locks are the internal frizzen screw, the larger diameter hammer screw, and (if original to the lock) the top jaw. Otherwise, the lock does appear European. Maybe the Family name continued to make guns and/or locks much later than the 15th Century without any records :idunno:
Overall, at the moment, I'm leaning toward a Belgium/Dutch made pistol for a private owner using Italian style hardware - if you can believe all that :haha:
Rick.

Latest posts

Back