• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Calvary holster pattern?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know where I can get the pattern for a Calvary style holster for my Pietta 1858 revolver. I have the leather, some nice 7-8oz veg tan, and I have the time, just lacking the pattern. Any idea where I can get one.
Tandy used to sell a large book of patterns for leather work. I know holsters were in it. I'd see if someone online has one.

It's not that difficult to draw up your own patterns. I've drawn up patterns from a picture in a book or magazine. Once you know how a holster is supposed to fit, most the rest is stylistic.

IMG_2870b.jpg

Tandy leather used to have holster patterns a very long time ago. :dunno:
I've seen them (Tandy) at Hobby Lobby, which, by the way, sells decorative items that are replicas of guns; revolvers, lever actions, etc. Not real perfect copies, but neat for a kid's room or a family den; how many stores carry that sort of stuff anymore? H-L is closed Sundays, which tells you where they're coming from. BTW, at my local one, the "Clearance" section had two, rolls of genuine cowhide with the hair on, each 8-10 SF. Retail price 70 bucks! I got them for 20 bucks each, to keep for possible craft projects although I admit I don't do a lot of leather work. Tandy's holster kits are more for modern-type pistols, don't know is suitable for percussions, but good luck! :)

Take some poster paper and fold it around your pistol to get a rough fit then trim to your satisfaction, no wasted leather, and you can re-use pattern later or modify it if you want.

Back