• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Calling all sub-scale cannoneers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coehornboy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
We've all heard that size isn't everything.. :haha:

How many of you out there shoot sub-scale artillery (table top or perhaps 1" or smaller bore)??

I purchased a "Civil War Napoleon" from an estate. It looks similar to the one that is available at Cannon Mania or that was made by CVA in the seventies...except that this one is .75 caliber and has Japanese proof marks on the barrel.

HPIM0467.jpg

Has anyone fired a similar gun? I'd like to know about recoil, etc.

Here is a table top .75 that was built by "Rabbit Ears" from a South Bend barrel. He also made a section of deck and rail,and he can hit a gong at about 15 or 20 yards (with no sites!).

opa.jpg

Lets hear from those of you who shoot smaller scale artillery!

As a matter of fact, I shoot mainly small bores. They're cheaper loading, and somewhat safer considering how little they take compared to my 1.75 inch 1:4 scale 24pdr.

One is a 1:8 scale 6pdr. .50cal and the other is a 1 inch Yorktown mortar 1:10 scale. I don't realy target shoot with the mortar, I just make noise. The 6pdr. I'll take to the range when the snow melts a little. This one also shoots fire crackers fairly well. Like minie explosive rounds, it's cool to hear two bangs when firing one shot!

I've never even taken pictures of all my cannons. I've got to get around to that and post some pictures!

Nice looking field cannon. I just got a .75 caliber naval style which I like better than .690 because I have a .690 rb mold which is too big for the Traditions cannons. New years eve will be the tryout here in the city. Tie down your field cannon if shooting ball so they don't flip or roll. :thumbsup:

Nice guns. I have a home made 1 inch deck gun that I made a few years ago from a piece of mandrel drawn steel pipe. After the milling it has about a 7/8 inch wall at the breech with a threded and cross pined breech plug. It is great for making noise and is relativly accurate with a removable mouser site I have riged for it.

I definitely enjoy full firing scale models.
We have 2 we just finished with Oak Carriages sporting 1" bores and a .50 caliber. The larger bore cannons we have we cant fire as much., but with these 1" bores we can get a quik blast in from time to time in town :thumbsup:
6poundtest.jpg

:grin: Here's one that I play with; It's jointly owned by myself and another forum member. We had it made in .75 cal. because that cal. ball was available to us. We take it to a few rendezvous during the summer and it's quite a crowd pleaser, and I might add quite accurate up to 50 yds.
I think it might see some action tonight (New Years Eve) if the weather allows (And I can stay awake that long :rotf: )
sideprofilecannon.jpg

cannon1.jpg

Soggy

Ahoy, Harbor Master! Good to see you on this list, too! :thumbsup:

I just recently got a 1/4 scale CW piece on naval carriage, 1" bore, from Jefferson Armory. I have to finish drilling the vent hole.

Capt. William

OK, I'll jump in. Here are my two naval types. The one with the rope is 1 1/16 inch bore, the other is about 3/8 inch bore. Both made in the 70's.

1.jpg

.jpg

I fired the big one off a finger pier at a marina once, and almost as an afterthought hooked one end of the rope around a cleat before I touched it off.

It jumped right off the pier and the rope snapped it back on. Gulp :redface: :shake:

WRussell said:
I fired the big one off a finger pier at a marina once, and almost as an afterthought hooked one end of the rope around a cleat before I touched it off.

It jumped right off the pier and the rope snapped it back on. Gulp :redface: :shake:

Too bad you didn't get video of that. :grin:

The maker was me. I see lots of things I'd do better now, but I've kept them, so I must like them.

Too bad nobody got a picture of the look on my face :haha:

The harbormaster came to see what had exploded, but when he saw it was a cannon he turned around and went back. That wouldn't happen today!

This doesn't qualify as 1 inch or smaller bore, but it's table-top.

Tennis ball caliber.

It's a mortar mortar, because I started with a brass tube that was the right caliber for a tennis ball, and fleshed it out using the remnants of a bag of mortar. This one dates from the late 60's I think. You can see a few chips in the edge of the muzzle from handling. It will certainly launch a tennis ball. Lots of fun.

Mortarmortar.jpg

WR, that is some really beautiful work! :hatsoff: Do you make pieces for sale?

Capt. William

I've an Italian made Napoleon about the size of yours Coehornboy as well as a 45 cal 12 pdr that's rifled. Downstairs is a brass beer can mortar that I purchased from the Log Cabin Shop. I couldn't afford the small naval gun they had though.

I am jealous. I want one of those Civil War Napoleons, but cannot find one that I can afford. I have the naval gun from CVA in .45 rifled that will have to keep me for now...

Latest posts

Back