• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Callahan bag molds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had taken vacation for this week for the pomme de terre rendezvous in hermitage mo. Well of late here in the ozarks old guys with white beads have been busy building big boats and gathering animal. So the rondy was canceled.
So I was setting around feeling sorry for my self when the sun came out. I had a new Callahan .600 ball mold I was going to use to demonstrate for tourist at the event. I filled a brazier with charcoal set a ladle on the coals and took to casting.
Ended up running about seventy five ball. Had only five rejects. I had smoked the mold over the fire, I did not measure them or weigh them, but they dropped out of the mold with out a wrinkle.
I have one other of his molds and it works as well... just a good quality piece of equipment.

Agreed. He's a talented fellow. My .715 mold works great. Compared to a .490 from TOTW I'm sold on his workmanship. Had a chance to speak with him at fort frederick. He's a cool fella for sure

I ordered one .445 bagmold with some extra tidbits from him that he sent to Belgium without problem... It quickly became my favorite mold ... My gun likes these balls better than those from my other molds ...

Well I have a lee mold in .595, and it's hard to not overheat the mold or have it too cool. So I have had to reject about 1/3 of the ball from that mold. However, from a laddle in the coals I could only melt enough lead for five ball between remelting a new batch. It took at least three hours to run seventy five ball. You don't shoo ml if your in a hurry :grin:

I have three sizes of Larry’s moulds and they both make round balls as perfect as you can possibly expect from a bag mould. In fact, those bag molds are the only ones I have and use to cast with. It’s not super quick or nearly as precise casting over a fire, but that’s to be expected. However, with my little cheap Lee melting pot I can make hundreds of balls in the course of a couple hours. I cut a couple of fingers off old leather gloves and slip them onto the mould handles. Then I rest the mould cavity against the edge of the pot while it heats up. Once you get into a rhythm, you can really get crankin’. It’s just as fun to cast over a campfire, just not as fast!

I've got one of his molds an its just as advertised :thumbsup: works perfect. No complaints

I have two of his molds, excellent product, super great people! wattlebuster, may I PM you about a rifle you posted photos of, a year or two ago?

Back