• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Call to action: Flintlock-only Deer Season KY - Commission meeting today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatchet-Jack

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I received this email last night. For those of you in Kentucky that support the idea of a Flintlock only season please find your District Commissioner by going to this link and look at the counties they each represent. You can either call them or send them an email. The meeting is today so don't delay!

https://fw.ky.gov/More/Pages/District-Commission-Members.aspx
Subject: TAKE ACTION TODAY: Flintlock-only Deer Season

Fellow Longriflemen,

At the Corps Rendezvous last Fall, we presented State Representative Matthew Koch with a Proclamation in favor of a Flintlock-only Deer Season in Kentucky.

To make this Flintlock-only Deer Season happen, it must be approved by the Kentucky Wildlife Commission, then the KY Legislature.

Today I received word that at least one KY Wildlife Commissioner is receptive to the idea and has agreed to bring it up at the Commission meeting TODAY.

Please contact the Commissioner for your district TODAY and tell him you would like to have a Flintlock-only Season for Deer in KY. Here is a link to find your Commissioner..... Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commission

Ron Winfield

Not in the Cain-tuck, but I mostly like the idea. Would this be in addition to ml season or a replacement for?
You couldn't call what Missouri has now a muzzleloader season, was at one time but not anymore.
You're more likely to see someone with an AR pistol with optics. rather than a muzzleloader.

I live in KY and I can tell you that the early ML season is already too short. One weekend is all we get. We have been getting about 10 days during the late season when many deer have already turned nocturnal due to being after the gun season. I can and do support a traditional ML season only but I am opposed to a flintlock only season. The way I see it is, if you want to use a flintlock then do it during a traditional only season. The ML season is already too short as it is.

I live in KY and I can tell you that the early ML season is already too short. One weekend is all we get. We have been getting about 10 days during the late season when many deer have already turned nocturnal due to being after the gun season. I can and do support a traditional ML season only but I am opposed to a flintlock only season. The way I see it is, if you want to use a flintlock then do it during a traditional only season. The ML season is already too short as it is.
I'm in KY as well. I hunt with MLs, Flintlock this year, during the modern rifle season for the same reason. I reserve the late ML season if I don't get one but I always do.

I would be good with an extra flintlock season only. Keeps more people out of the woods!! That said I would be open to an early traditional muzzleloaders season as well.
Jack any info as to whether the flintlock only is still being kicked around?

I received this email last night. For those of you in Kentucky that support the idea of a Flintlock only season please find your District Commissioner by going to this link and look at the counties they each represent. You can either call them or send them an email. The meeting is today so don't delay!

https://fw.ky.gov/More/Pages/District-Commission-Members.aspx
Subject: TAKE ACTION TODAY: Flintlock-only Deer Season

Fellow Longriflemen,

At the Corps Rendezvous last Fall, we presented State Representative Matthew Koch with a Proclamation in favor of a Flintlock-only Deer Season in Kentucky.

To make this Flintlock-only Deer Season happen, it must be approved by the Kentucky Wildlife Commission, then the KY Legislature.

Today I received word that at least one KY Wildlife Commissioner is receptive to the idea and has agreed to bring it up at the Commission meeting TODAY.

Please contact the Commissioner for your district TODAY and tell him you would like to have a Flintlock-only Season for Deer in KY. Here is a link to find your Commissioner..... Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commission

Ron Winfield
Would that be fair to people that use percussion rifles? It seems to me that it would cut a lot of muzzle loader shooters out of hunting? I also think it would hurt our hobby if one segment of muzzloaders were cut out? We are a small group already and spliting us into a special groups would be counter productive?

Would that be fair to people that use percussion rifles? It seems to me that it would cut a lot of muzzle loader shooters out of hunting? I also think it would hurt our hobby if one segment of muzzloaders were cut out? We are a small group already and spliting us into a special groups would be counter productive?
My understanding of this proposal is it would be creating an additional ML season on top of the already existing early and late ML seasons.

That's what I was eluding to. Its to my belief that we would be lucky if we could get a traditional (primitive weapons, side lock) season as it is.

My understanding of this proposal is it would be creating an additional ML season on top of the already existing early and late ML seasons.
It's all about selling tags. Shorten the gun season and people will be upset. Shorten the ML seasons as it is and people will not be happy.

Here's an update I got today from a friend:

"Changes/additions to hunting regulations is a slow process, but we're hearing the commissioners are discussing it. The head of the commission wants to research what other states are doing. We need to get as many people as possible to contact their district wildlife commissioners and ask them to support a flintlock only season. And also attend district club meetings to ask for support."

So if you support a Flintlock only season in Kentucky reach out to your district commissioner and tell them you support it. The link to find your DC id at the top of this post.

Good luck with this, I hope you prevail. We Pennsyltucky people looooove our flintlock-only late season. In some ways it is actually the best time of the year, even though the deer are really skittish and have been pared down by about 20% over the previous two months. Very few people in the woods, usually some snow to hunt over, everything is real quiet. Just a perfect time and way to wind down the big game season.

wish ya'll luck. Here in PA we have had a flintlock only season since the 1970's. A warning though, every whiner in the world will come out complaining that he can't use his percussion gun, in-line, box lock, needle gun or other later tech. And the whining will be annual, and repeated. Every year in PA we must repulse the legion of folks who don't comprehend the idea of getting the weapon to comply with the season requirements rather than getting the season to comply to them. Oh you will hear folks complain that flintlocks are too inaccurate, too low in power to be ethical, etc. We get this every year in PA even though we have a week long any muzzle loader season in October and in large exurban areas around Pittsbugh and Filthadelphia, they have a nearly month long season to hunt.

wish ya'll luck. Here in PA we have had a flintlock only season since the 1970's. A warning though, every whiner in the world will come out complaining that he can't use his percussion gun, in-line, box lock, needle gun or other later tech. And the whining will be annual, and repeated. Every year in PA we must repulse the legion of folks who don't comprehend the idea of getting the weapon to comply with the season requirements rather than getting the season to comply to them. Oh you will hear folks complain that flintlocks are too inaccurate, too low in power to be ethical, etc. We get this every year in PA even though we have a week long any muzzle loader season in October and in large exurban areas around Pittsbugh and Filthadelphia, they have a nearly month long season to hunt.
You are correct, about PA, where we seem to have a world record size group of whiny outdoorsmen who are never satisfied with anything, who complain about and second guess everything the PA Game Commission does, says, studies, and tries. It’s not everyone or even half our people who behave this way, but it’s a big enough group that zimmer here is (understandably) jaded by it. I’d like to think the hunters of Kentucky are more mature, more appreciative than too many of the hunters here in Pennsylvania.

Last edited:
Back