• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Call to action: Flintlock-only Deer Season KY - Commission meeting today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in Pa, we've had a flintlock only season since the 70s. It's in late December, through about mid January. Not great weather, but when there's snow on the ground, it's a magical time to. be out. Usually not many if any other hunters out and about either. So, if you like hunting in solitude that is the time. I hope Kentucky does implement such a season.

I live in KY now myself. I'd perfer a traditional season (sidelock only no inlines) That way percussion guys also can hunt it. In Kansas it is sidelock only traditional muzzleloaders and its the beginning of the season not at the end once the deer are spooked to death after modern gun. Just my opinion on it.

wish ya'll luck. Here in PA we have had a flintlock only season since the 1970's. A warning though, every whiner in the world will come out complaining that he can't use his percussion gun, in-line, box lock, needle gun or other later tech. And the whining will be annual, and repeated. Every year in PA we must repulse the legion of folks who don't comprehend the idea of getting the weapon to comply with the season requirements rather than getting the season to comply to them. Oh you will hear folks complain that flintlocks are too inaccurate, too low in power to be ethical, etc. We get this every year in PA even though we have a week long any muzzle loader season in October and in large exurban areas around Pittsbugh and Filthadelphia, they have a nearly month long season to hunt.
I hope the people of Kentucky get their Flintlock only season. Here in Pa, it is my favorite season to be in the woods. There is something magical about being in the woods in that late season. I've signed a few petitions over the years to keep the Pa muzzleloading season flintlock only. Years ago, the rules here were more traditional than they are now. It used to be patch round ball and open V-notch sights only. In my opinion our early season was a fair compromise as it allows the use of other muzzleloaders for those that prefer them without impacting the traditional season. I do miss the days before inlines, plastic stocks, sabots, power belts, and pellets, but those days are gone forever.

I hope the people of Kentucky get their Flintlock only season. Here in Pa, it is my favorite season to be in the woods. There is something magical about being in the woods in that late season. I've signed a few petitions over the years to keep the Pa muzzleloading season flintlock only. Years ago, the rules here were more traditional than they are now. It used to be patch round ball and open V-notch sights only. In my opinion our early season was a fair compromise as it allows the use of other muzzleloaders for those that prefer them without impacting the traditional season. I do miss the days before inlines, plastic stocks, sabots, power belts, and pellets, but those days are gone forever.
I remember guys hunting deer with rim fires in PA. and getting deer too. Of course getting rim fire cartridges larger than 22 caliber is nearly impossible any more. I had a really nice wesson rifle in 38 extra long RF. Pretty nice cartridge. But the legiscritters and game commission really screwed things up about 1982 when the code was rewritten. Suddenly wheel locks and matchlocks were illegal for deer. Hunters could no longer use cap and ball revolvers for hunting. All kinds of firearms were excluded by morons who knew little to nothing about antique arms. I took my cap and ball revolver hunting anyway. Kept an old Remington percussion cap tin that said they were center fire. Because the statute said centerfire weapons were legal for deer in the regular firearms season. Nearly all US cap manufacturers labeled their percussion caps as center fire.until about 1970.

Back