• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

California

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Santa Barbara CA, at the moment… grew up here and escaped in ‘86 and soon after joined the Army. Bounced around a few decades and ended up right back where I dont want to be… CA… well cities in general stress me out.
i love the summer, no skitters or humidity but can't handle the cold. don't get old and move in with your kids.HA

Hi from the San Fransisco east bay area.
Looking for a club and /or range that is not too far to drive to.
Trying to get back into shooting bps again after 40 years.

I used to live in Redwood Valley CA. Belonged to Ukiah gun club also. Now in western PA. More gun friendly.

That's one hell of a move. Reason??
My wife wanted to return to school to finish her degree, my son was in the army in upstate NY, and there is gunsmithing school in Pittsburgh. We were all ready for a change. Didn't go to gunsmithing school but am doing minor gun repair for a LGS. I actually moved from Yreka CA 20 years ago after retiring from what is now Cal Fire. I was a forester doing logging inspection. Everybody there loves trees, some vertical, some horizontal.

Born in Fort Bragg, grew up in Santa Rosa, bought land in Siskiyou County to retire on but wife says she won't live there so here I be in Santa Rosa. Used to hunt Pillsbury and Covelo area, ran packhorses in the Marble mountains and Warner wilderness when young. Now mostly shoot MZ at the cabin property by Lake Sonoma.

Anything going on in CA this year?

Petition 2022-02 for a new deer tag, "Heritage." Limits the method of take to traditional bows and sidelock muzzleloaders only but comes with the benefit of being able to move between A, B & D zones (think fire closures). Excludes all compounds an in-lines. We'll see how far it gets. But the commission will be voting in the April 21 meeting whether to advance it to CDFW for review & input. If that is favorable, that is if it is not likely to cause any harm to deer populations and will help their management objectives, then it's likely to be just an issue of public support/opposition. So I encourage you to participate in the FGC meetings if you can. Plenty of revisions are likely, depending on how far it gets.

I believe the HSUS petition to ban bear hunting will also be up for round 2 at the April meeting but the agenda isn't posted yet. With any luck, CDFW will reject the data used by HSUS but further advocate for funding to bring on a statewide bear biologist and update that management plan so there's data to support the hunting season continuing as it should. We all know that absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence but the HSUS isn't really trying to be intellectually honest anyway.

FGC meetings are posted here
https://fgc.ca.gov/Meetings/2022
The April 21 meeting is scheduled to be in-person on the coast but they've all been via Zoom for a while now.

I live in Grass Valley, (the gold country). I believe there is a rendezvous at Brushy Creek April 29 - May 1, 2022. Check online for details at Brushy Creek Rangers. See you there. steg49

I hail from Oakland. I'm new to the Forum today, and am a member of Diablo Rod & Gun Club, and shoot at United Sportsmans in Concord.

All you guy and gals from California speak up, and tell us where you live.

Im up in Mendocino County, on the coast, just South of Fort Bragg, and do my shooting at the Ukiah Gun Club.
Mike.
alpine east of el cajon. shoot on my property. new to this sport, waiting on my first cap and ball to arrive. been a center fire type for 60 + years

Back