• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

California Spring Turkey Opens March 30: Who is going and what are you shooting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought it might be interesting for those of us stuck here in "No Lead Kalifornia" to compare notes on loads and, if we are lucky, results.

I'm using my Pedersoli 12ga SxS loaded with 75gr 2f Goex, an over powder card wad, and then a 1/2 inch cushion wad, 1 1/2 oz of Sphero Tungston #7 shot in a heavy duty shot cup, all topped with an 11ga CircleFly overshot card. My gun has the chrome barrels and screw in chokes. I'm thinking I will use Imp Cyl.

Never hunted Cali but there are some places that intrigued me when I lived in Nevada to go try. Especially for turkey since they are so few and far between in the silver State.

I actually even contemplated building a special flintlock to shoot all copper bullets. since all my flinters shoot lead RB.

I have a question for you on your shot size. You say #7 Tungston? that seems a little small for turkey? I've always used #5 or #4. Have you had success with the #7?

You lucky dawg. Here in Eastern Washington State, have to wait for April 15th. Of course, if you guys can't use lead...not so lucky. :) Often, the turks are not gobbling until a week or so after the 15th, around here.

I'll be using my Brown Bess carbine as usual. 100 grains of Fg, and "about" an ounce and a half of #4. We are not "allowed" shot bigger than #4, otherwise I'd use a #4 and #2 mix. Will probably load with one or two wax wads over the powder, and then I use a "shot cartridge", which is a brown paper bag tube with a wad and the shot in it.

I've shot two so far, with Bess, but last year I heard a tom gobble close up, when I was still walking, so I sat down fast, set up my decoy, and called him in. I had no cover really, just sitting with my back against a tree, and of course he came in where I didn't expect him to come, straight at me. I was so sure he's run the instant that I raised the gun, (or blinked) that I hurried my shot and shot over his head. !!! I can still see my sights, in my mind's eye, aiming over his head. After that, they just weren't gobbling much, and I never did call another one in.

I have a question for you on your shot size. You say #7 Tungston? that seems a little small for turkey? I've always used #5 or #4. Have you had success with the #7?

Frankly, this will be my first time using this stuff. I would have gone bigger, but the Sphero Tungston only comes in #9 and #7. When I used lead I used #5 copper plated shot and, as you know, it works well. I used ITX 10 (lighter than lead) last year and found it wanting. This Sphero Tungston is quite a bit heavier than lead. In fact, in my reloading powder scale I found, even though a smaller diameter, these #7's weigh pretty much exactly the same as my #5 lead pellets.

You lucky dawg. Here in Eastern Washington State, have to wait for April 15th. Of course, if you guys can't use lead...not so lucky. :) Often, the turks are not gobbling until a week or so after the 15th, around here.

I'll be using my Brown Bess carbine as usual. 100 grains of Fg, and "about" an ounce and a half of #4. We are not "allowed" shot bigger than #4, otherwise I'd use a #4 and #2 mix. Will probably load with one or two wax wads over the powder, and then I use a "shot cartridge", which is a brown paper bag tube with a wad and the shot in it.

I've shot two so far, with Bess, but last year I heard a tom gobble close up, when I was still walking, so I sat down fast, set up my decoy, and called him in. I had no cover really, just sitting with my back against a tree, and of course he came in where I didn't expect him to come, straight at me. I was so sure he's run the instant that I raised the gun, (or blinked) that I hurried my shot and shot over his head. !!! I can still see my sights, in my mind's eye, aiming over his head. After that, they just weren't gobbling much, and I never did call another one in.

Sounds like Ol' Bessie is getting it done!

I belong to a club in Ione. There are a lot of turkeys. I am using my 19g SxS. I had a friend there purchase a box of #5 Bismuth shot a while ago. The price was right and that is plenty of shot, so I just had him cut them open and save the shot for me. The shot sits in a little container on his shelf in the workshop. I load FFFg Goex with my 1oz cup, a card wad and a dry 1/2" wad, then the shot from the 1 1/8oz cup and one overshot card. In my gun this patterns good for turkey out to 35 yards with the left barrel and 30 with the right. I am dependent on my friend to have the powder, as he shoots sidelock rifles. If he has replace FFFg with something else I may load and shoot a patterning board to see if it changes anything. Usually I have a plan and a plane ticket by now, but I am behind the curve this year!

Opening morning success. I hunted a new property to me in south El Dorado County a little west of Somerset. Lots of gobbling in the distance early, but nothing around as dawn broke. Finally about mid morning the birds started moving. Had my decoy about 10 yards out, this guy came a courting. When he turned away from me with his fan hiding his head I got the gun up and ready. Finally got his head up and the rest is history. The #7 Tungston really did well. The bird just fell over dead. No flopping or flapping. In hindsight I think the 1 1/2 oz was a bit much.
IMG_3965.JPG

You guys are lucky in that your season opens early. Here in Pa, Our season doesn't open until late April, the 27th this year. Some years it opens around May 1st or 2nd, depending upon when the first Saturday falls.

I have always used #6 shot. I've killed birds using modern shotguns with #6 loads, so figured a #6 muzzleloader load should have similar effect on a bird. I use 1 1/4 oz of #6 over 80 grains of 2fg in my 20 gauge smooth bore.

You guys are lucky in that your season opens early. Here in Pa, Our season doesn't open until late April, the 27th this year. Some years it opens around May 1st or 2nd, depending upon when the first Saturday falls.

I have always used #6 shot. I've killed birds using modern shotguns with #6 loads, so figured a #6 muzzleloader load should have similar effect on a bird. I use 1 1/4 oz of #6 over 80 grains of 2fg in my 20 gauge smooth bore.

We start early, but end early too. We are done with guns May 5 this year, although they give the junior hunters and bow folks another two weeks. We do get one bearded bird per day, three total per season.

When lead was legal here I liked the smaller sizes. I used #5 copper plated mostly because I still had it laying around from when I reloaded for waterfowl hunting back in the day.

Nice going THBaily! Our Idaho season starts April 15th and goes until May25th. Sadly I haven't found a nice used smoothbore yet, so my unmentionable bow will get the nod this year.
I've shot many of them up into the morning, most of the breeding happens early in the morning after they leave the roost, so they gobble but won't leave the real hens if they have them. After the hens go into feeding mode then a lot of the time a Tom can be called a short distance away from them.

Tsaan Wookkuh, THBailey!!!

Well the proof is in the pudding!! I would say 1 1/2 oz is just right!

If that shot is in fact heavier than lead, than the smaller size equated to a larger payload hitting the target!

Thanks for sharing.

On a side note since I'm moving back to Nevada, I may have to try some of that shot and go chase California Thunder chickens! And build that special flintlock too!

What subspecies of turkey do you have there in California? Here in Oregon there are the Eastern subspecies. In New Mexico they were Merriams Subspecies.

Just curious. Thanks!!

What subspecies of turkey do you have there in California? Here in Oregon there are the Eastern subspecies. In New Mexico they were Merriams Subspecies.

Just curious. Thanks!!

I look on the Calif. Fish and Wildlife page and they said , Calif has 4 of the 5 species. We have Eastern, Rio grande, Merriams, and Gould. With Rio grande and Merriams the most common.

Sweet! Thanks for the response!!! Once I'm in the Silver State, I will surely be looking to the Golden State for Thunder chickens!

Good luck to you all!!

Tsaan Wookkuh, THBailey!!!

Well the proof is in the pudding!! I would say 1 1/2 oz is just right!

If that shot is in fact heavier than lead, than the smaller size equated to a larger payload hitting the target!

Thanks for sharing.

On a side note since I'm moving back to Nevada, I may have to try some of that shot and go chase California Thunder chickens! And build that special flintlock too!
I agree. Too much is just right, as they say. Four more days until Turk opens here, in Eastern Washington state.

Nice going THBaily! Our Idaho season starts April 15th and goes until May25th. Sadly I haven't found a nice used smoothbore yet, so my unmentionable bow will get the nod this year.
I've shot many of them up into the morning, most of the breeding happens early in the morning after they leave the roost, so they gobble but won't leave the real hens if they have them. After the hens go into feeding mode then a lot of the time a Tom can be called a short distance away from them.
I sometimes take my longbow, but never have got a shot. Bessie seems to be a "lucky gun" when it comes to Turks.

Latest posts

Back