• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

California sights ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stony Broke

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been considering having a custom pistol made again, but my favorite type of sights for them seem to have disappeared ! I don't know who actually made the California Sights, but I can't seem to locate them anymore. I bought them at one time from The Gun Works in Oregon, but they don't have them available anymore either. Anybody have any idea who actually built the California Sights and if anyone carries them anymore ?

Are you in the wrong forum?
No, I believe he is in the correct forum as he is asking a general question regarding the availability of a product, specifically for a pistol, in the marketplace. He is not asking if any forum members could sell him the sights. By the way, I remember the California sights. Looked really good for an adjustable sight but I have not seen or heard of them for several years.

I have been considering having a custom pistol made again, but my favorite type of sights for them seem to have disappeared ! I don't know who actually made the California Sights, but I can't seem to locate them anymore. I bought them at one time from The Gun Works in Oregon, but they don't have them available anymore either. Anybody have any idea who actually built the California Sights and if anyone carries them anymore ?
Don't know if you actually talked to the Gun Works, but if you haven't I would call and ask for Suzie. She might be able to tell you where they originally got them.
Good luck

I have not seen them for sale in over 10 years or more :dunno: . I used a few on some guns I have built but I never had many request for them

The California Sights were definitely intended for muzzleloaders. I think they were developed and likely manufactured by the late Andy Fautheree. As recently as last year, The Gun Works had a refurbished rifle for sale, actually just an old barrel, by Schneider of San Francisco, with what appeared to be a complete restock with a new lock and small parts, including a set of California sights. I think they were listing it as a "California Rifle." I think it finally sold. I'll see if I can recover some images.

Anyway, the California sights were not exactly like anything I know of from history, but they did have a traditional look, and I believe they were machined rather than cast. The front sight was a tall post, but very short from front to back. I believe the rear sight was sort of a semi-buckhorn, available fixed or adjustable. The adjustment mechanism was very subtle and unobtrusive.

Track of the Wolf had them years ago, and I think The Gun Works carried them, also. The California Sights were in some way connected with The House of Muskets, as well. I was looking for a set of them a little while back, and despite an extensive search, I came up dry. I'm still interested, though. Let's look again, and see what we can find.

Notchy Bob

I have an older catalogue from Track of the Wolf, #16, from 2004-2006. They were still listing the California front sight at that time, as a "Target blade sight":

California Sight 1.1.JPG

California Sight 1.2.JPG

I didn't find the rear sight in that catalogue, and I've been unable to find a clear image of one online. They were said to have been really nice sights.

Notchy Bob

I have them on my rifle, love them. Problem is ; now Mrs Folded Arme would like a set.

IIRC, Mr. Fautheree designed them but they were made by House of Muskets in Pagosa Springs CO.

I never thought of putting them on a pistol, now I'm contemplating building a target pistol just to try them out. Stony Broke this is all your fault!

Back