• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

California Hawken, circa 2006

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Wag

40 Cal
Reaction score
Afternoon all. I had a 54 cal Hawken built for me in 2006. The builder was based in California. I lost my paperwork during a move, and have forgotten details of the purchase. If you have knowledge of California percussion builders of that time frame, please advise. Thanks!
Jim in La Luz

Afternoon all. I had a 54 cal Hawken built for me in 2006. The builder was based in California. I lost my paperwork during a move, and have forgotten details of the purchase. If you have knowledge of California percussion builders of that time frame, please advise. Thanks!
Jim in La Luz

Not much information to go on in reference to your question my friend.

California is a big state. North, Central, South?

Some builders like to mark their work. Metal stamp on back of butt plate, trigger plate, bottom flat of barrel?

Could you share pictures of your Hawken?

I’m afraid that without more information, your request is like finding a needle in a haystack my friend.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Maybe Andy Fautheree? I'm not sure I spelled the last name correctly, but it's probably close. He was a well-known west coast builder in his day, and he made some nice Hawkens. I think he also designed some very nice open sights for muzzleloaders, known as "California sights."

Notchy Bob

I looked him up after submitting my post. I found an obituary indicating Mr. Fautheree passed away in 2014. All of the Fautheree rifles I know of seem to have been built in the late sixties and into the eighties, but the obituary seemed to indicate he was actively pursuing his various interests until the end of his life. So, I don't know that he was building Hawkens into the 2000's, but I suppose it's possible.

The other thing is that he had lived in Pagosa Springs, CO, for a number of years, and he must have moved out of California quite a while back. So, despite the early California association, it's probably not likely that he was the builder of the OP's rifle, and I may have been a little out of line suggesting his name without searching the details first... My apologies. Everything I've read about Mr. Fautheree indicates his workmanship was of the highest order, and there are a surprising number of his rifles up for sale on the various auction and dealer sites.

It would be helpful if the OP would examine his rifle for any markings, as Cowboy suggested, and maybe post a few pictures.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I've been in Ca since 1998 and in NJ before that. I mark my rifles on the bottom of the barrel with my name, date I started the build and the end date of the build. I don't recall your name so it may not be one of mine.

Thanks all. I'm away from the rifle at present. I'll check the barrel markings when I get back and post pictures. I remember a 'CA' stamp, which I believe may refer to the date the barrel was made; 2006.

Good morning. Here is a picture of the stamp on the bottom of the barrel, at the breech. Any ideas about identity? Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20200902_160156620.jpg
    IMG_20200902_160156620.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 89
Jim Wag, can you post some photos of the actual rifle, maybe full-length views of both sides and a close-up of the lock/breech/ triggerguard area?

I would think it unusual for a custom builder to use an Italian barrel, although I suppose it could happen. Grenadier's comments are spot on.

Notchy Bob

Thanks much. I appreciate the web referrals. Actually saw the article on this site earlier, but didn't read :( it.
I'm not surprised that I have an Italian barrel. The man who built the rifle didn't promise a custom build. I believe it was a kit rifle. He did a good job with the assembly and it is nicely finished. My memory is not too good.

It bears a very strong resemblance to a Lyman Great Plains rifle, particularly the snail and the trigger guard, and it appears (to me) to have a European walnut stock. That would also explain the Italian proof marks on the barrel. Post #11 indicates it may have been built from a kit, which seems likely. A talented builder could start with a Lyman kit, remove the "graffiti" from the barrel, give it a custom finish, and fine-tune the lock and trigger to build a very nice rifle, which is what you have.

I do believe it started life as a Lyman Great Plains rifle or kit, though.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

It bears a very strong resemblance to a Lyman Great Plains rifle, particularly the snail and the trigger guard, and it appears (to me) to have a European walnut stock. That would also explain the Italian proof marks on the barrel. Post #11 indicates it may have been built from a kit, which seems likely. A talented builder could start with a Lyman kit, remove the "graffiti" from the barrel, give it a custom finish, and fine-tune the lock and trigger to build a very nice rifle, which is what you have.

I do believe it started life as a Lyman Great Plains rifle or kit, though.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Thanks for the clues! Makes sense, too.
Dang, I sure would like to know who built it.

I agree with Notchy Bob. Sure looks like a Lyman Great Plains Rifle. It even has the slight drop in the bottom of the buttstock. It appears to be missing the under rib and ram rod thimbles however. Looks like the nose cap was polished instead of browned and the lock panels have been refined. Other than that looks to be a GPR. Sorry I can't help with the builder. I think somebody built it from a kit (which are currently available for purchase) or refinished a factory rifle.

I agree with Notchy Bob. Sure looks like a Lyman Great Plains Rifle. It even has the slight drop in the bottom of the buttstock. It appears to be missing the under rib and ram rod thimbles however. Looks like the nose cap was polished instead of browned and the lock panels have been refined. Other than that looks to be a GPR. Sorry I can't help with the builder. I think somebody built it from a kit (which are currently available for purchase) or refinished a factory rifle.
Thanks much. I removed the rib for cleaning, then decided I like the look. Shoots great, with or without.

Back