• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

California black powder revolver laws

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am moving to San Diego in a few weeks. I have spent hours on the line with the SDPD to no avail. Anyone that lives in Cali that can give me the rundown on owning black powder revolvers in Cali? I am 24 by the way so I don't think age is an issue. I am just wondering if I can legally bring/shoot my Colt Dragoon during/after the move. Thanks!

I lived in CA for 18yrs up to 2010, at that time CA did not recognize black powder revolvers as 'guns', therefore not susceptible to gun ownership laws. Black powder firearms are legally considered “antique firearms” under California law and as such are not subject to normal California regulations on assembling or manufacturing firearms.

I am moving to San Diego in a few weeks. I have spent hours on the line with the SDPD to no avail. Anyone that lives in Cali that can give me the rundown on owning black powder revolvers in Cali? I am 24 by the way so I don't think age is an issue. I am just wondering if I can legally bring/shoot my Colt Dragoon during/after the move. Thanks!
Moving TO Cali? Someone holding that Dragoon to your head?

I live in CA. Yes, you can legally bring anything that is classified as an "Antique or Curio Relic," which includes repros of black powder firearms (including percussion revolvers). Unlike modern guns, you don't have to declare it and register it. Once you live here, you can have BP guns shipped to your door without using an FFL or the waiting period.

However, the laws surrounding transportation are confusing to say the least, so it's best to treat any BP gun the same as a modern gun when transporting (keeping the ammo, powder, and caps in a separate place in the car, keeping the gun in a locked container or with a locking safety device).

My understanding is that until a percussion revolver is capped, it is not considered a firearm under CA law. BUT, I wouldn't trust any CA cops to know that.

Another thing to know is that many ranges don't allow black powder here. They exist, but many don't, probably because of perceived fire hazard.

Moving TO Cali? Someone holding that Dragoon to your head?
Its just for a year lol. I am in need of an adventure and I have college friends that live out there. But thanks for the advice/knowledge everyone! Despite Cali's gun laws it seems that black powder guns aren't too much of a hassle. I am coming from Connecticut so slightly confusing/nonsense gun laws are nothing far from experience lol

Right on the button, good info here.

I live in CA. Yes, you can legally bring anything that is classified as an "Antique or Curio Relic," which includes repros of black powder firearms (including percussion revolvers). Unlike modern guns, you don't have to declare it and register it. Once you live here, you can have BP guns shipped to your door without using an FFL or the waiting period.

However, the laws surrounding transportation are confusing to say the least, so it's best to treat any BP gun the same as a modern gun when transporting (keeping the ammo, powder, and caps in a separate place in the car, keeping the gun in a locked container or with a locking safety device).

My understanding is that until a percussion revolver is capped, it is not considered a firearm under CA law. BUT, I wouldn't trust any CA cops to know that.

Another thing to know is that many ranges don't allow black powder here. They exist, but many don't, probably because of perceived fire hazard.

To be honest it is better than I thought. Cali is obviously infamous for gun laws but this doesn't sound too bad for the blackpowder that I am interested in.

Exactly. CA politicians are too busy making pointless AR rules and the idiotic handgun roster to worry or even know about BP. I hope we can keep it that way. There are far more conservative and/or 2A folks in CA than the media would have you believe.

Exactly. CA politicians are too busy making pointless AR rules and the idiotic handgun roster to worry or even know about BP. I hope we can keep it that way. There are far more conservative and/or 2A folks in CA than the media would have you believe.
I am always happy when a state (whether it truly understands what they are) has "proper" laws for blackpowder guns. These guns are from a bygone era, and they should be treated as unique compared to "unmentionables"

I used to be a shooting instructor/ range officer at Angeles Range!

If you find yourself around LA, both Angeles Shooting Ranges in Sylmar and California Tactical Academy in Piru have fun steel galleries that allow BP. I don't know about SD.

On the upside, you're in for the best Mexican food outside of Mexico!

Lived there for 50+ years. Gun laws seem to change overnight so caution is the byword. Some cities have their own laws on MLs. BTW, Good luck and bring wheelbarrow loads of $$$ as gas is up to $6/gal and 12% sales tax is the new target for this year.

Lived there for 50+ years. Gun laws seem to change overnight so caution is the byword. Some cities have their own laws on MLs. BTW, Good luck and bring wheelbarrow loads of $$$ as gas is up to $6/gal and 12% sales tax is the new target for this year.

It's not quite that bad yet, but it is high. Sales tax in LA is 9.5%, and I just filled up for 3.79 a gal. If you're paying $6 a gal., you're a sucker tourist in Beverly Hills.

I used to be a shooting instructor/ range officer at Angeles Range!

It's my favorite range in LA area. CTA is too far for me (even though the local BP club meets there), and people in general have been friendlier at Angeles. CTA is rows of deafening ARs. If I go currently on a weekday to Angeles, I can find a whole bench to myself sometimes, and folks are curious about BP.

I think that you will be fine, but California does have some
regulations on BP. Most will be found as relates to hunting.
A major point is to keep items private. Displaying any
weapon can have consequences,including BP, depending
upon the County or Town. And, keeping Black powder has
sensible regulations and limits. There has been a lot of past
advice here on those subjects. Each fire marshall can have
his rules. Also, lock up away from kids. Failure in that area
is a felony in many places.

It's not quite that bad yet, but it is high. Sales tax in LA is 9.5%, and I just filled up for 3.79 a gal. If you're paying $6 a gal., you're a sucker tourist in Beverly Hills.

On July 1 2021 most cities in LA county will go up to as high as 10.50%. Other CA cities will go up as well with counties not far behind. The huge increase in modern gun sales (and lack of fixed ammo) has really renewed interest in regulating BP arms. Knowing CADOJ it won't be long. Given CHP training a gun is a gun so don't get stopped.

When I moved to CA in 1973, black powder revolvers were considered same as cartridge guns and had same requirements. I don't know when or how this changed, but am assured this is no longer an issue. Score one bit of gun sanity in CA!

I live and shoot BP in San Diego. It’s not all that bad, others on this string are right about being able to have a BP gun shipped in without FFL. However, you will need to check the regulations about bringing ammunition into the state. Also, in CA a muzzle loader is not considered loaded until it is capped. You can shoot lead on the range but have to go lead free for hunting. Additionally there is a limit as to how much BP you can buy at a time it’s 1 lb.

South Bay Rod and Gun is a great range to shoot BP but the main range is for rifle as the closest target is 50yd. They have multiple ranges and the shorter ones for pistol during the week seem to be used by military and law enforcement so I never went there, but you should check. Escondido Fish & Game is in the North County is private but has a monthly BP shoot that includes pistols. It’s open to visitors or guests and is great venue. Feel free to PM me if you’d like.

Back