California black powder revolver laws

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Sam squanch

50 Cal.
Reaction score
If you get “ caught” with ANY gun in California, expect to have it confiscated until you can PROVE it is yours. I heard some courts make you take a gun safety class so you can get it back. Not sure if this is true, or rumor.

Woody Morgan

62 Cal.(ifornian)
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Go for it Brother, not really my words. I think I got that from my older cousin Bobby when he moved out of kali. He also said "All the cowboys are gone" in kali. He was sad about it. Bobby was a real cowboy.
Plenty of them where I live in the southern Sierra. Real, honest to goodness ones.
I live adjacent to the largest contiguous piece of privately-held property in the US...Tejon Ranch. ~260,000 acres.

wm

Mad L

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
If you get “ caught” with ANY gun in California, expect to have it confiscated until you can PROVE it is yours. I heard some courts make you take a gun safety class so you can get it back. Not sure if this is true, or rumor.
As a pirate reenactor in California I carried short Dragoon everywhere at festival and even to diner or parties at bars after (never carried powder or ball unless at a range - powder only when exhibit shooting).
One time a couple of us headed off the festival grounds for lunch at Ports O Call in San Pedro. As we passed a couple cops one asked me "Do you have a permit for that?"
I simply (politely and with a smile) explained it was a "Replica flintlock and I carry no charge nor ball"....well, he looked at me suspicious and i just smiled (never pulling it from my belt) and he then nodded and we went out marry way.
Oh, I also had a cutlass at my side, a rigger's knife tucked in my belt and a boot knife.
....twas Grand to be a pirate!

I have also often carried my blunderbuss and passed many a law enforcement, but I dont think many often knew it was real and functional.

Best advice; dont act like a jerk, always smile, and always Always be polite and cooperative.

Oh, and we all took the Safty Course even thou not required...just in case...I also took the Calif Hunting course - just good practice

IROCZ

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Plenty of them where I live in the southern Sierra. Real, honest to goodness ones.
I live adjacent to the largest contiguous piece of privately-held property in the US...Tejon Ranch. ~260,000 acres.

wm
Well that is good to hear, I met some fine gentleman from northern California who were patrol rifle instructors. Fine men. I'm glad to know America still has a foothold there! It's a shame that it is hard to exercise your constitutional rights in some states. Black powder always seemed a safe bet. Again, good luck to this young man on his trip.

BadDaditood

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I got a good laugh at your post! I hope you don't mind if I give your statement some extra play? LOL!
Many years ago Gallagher (the watermelon smasher) said:
“California is like a bowl of granola- what ain’t fruits and nuts is flakes”
As a native still stuck here …it’s still true

vintovka

MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I will be astounded If CADOJ doesn't move on all BP this year. Now that CA Gov. has again invalidated the ouster vote process you can guess what may happen next.

golden sky

36 Cl.
Reaction score
It's not quite that bad yet, but it is high. Sales tax in LA is 9.5%, and I just filled up for 3.79 a gal. If you're paying $6 a gal., you're a sucker tourist in Beverly Hills.
what are you paying now? I run premium these days, so $5/gallon seems to be the standard here in LA

golden sky

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Many years ago Gallagher (the watermelon smasher) said:
“California is like a bowl of granola- what ain’t fruits and nuts is flakes”
As a native still stuck here …it’s still true
we got the best and the worst this country has to offer, been living here all my life and I hate 95% of the people, never liked the place since i fell out the womb. but the money keeps me here.

William Lincoln

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I think that BP antiques & copies will be treated differently by the Courts from
modern guns in terms of the second Amendment ,if they try to prohibit them or
infringe on the right to own them. When they enacted the 1968 GCA they plowed
around the antiques for multiple reasons. Primitive ignition systems are the exact
guns that the Second Amendment referred to in the beginning. Attempting to
regulate BP guns might lead to a decision that harms the ability to regulate more modern
arms. Any attempt to prohibit or infringe upon antique BP guns will result in Court
challenges that will limit the Regs. by permanent injunction. The history of gun regulation
shows that the Control proponents get traction by citing "modern dangers due to
Automatic fire (1938), mail order modern military rifles (1968) and high capacitty
magazines ." There are serious Jurisdiction issues involved in gun control that are
undecided to this day. If Gun Controllers seek to control Antique BP guns it weakens
their argument from protecting society to obvious dis-armament of the people.

vintovka

MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I under stand from folks i know in "related" CA agencies that actual law enforcement is becoming a big concern.

gshiller47

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
In the San Diego area, there are Black Powder shooters at South Bay Rod & Gun Club (Dulzura), Lemon Grove Rod & Gun Club (Alpine) and Escondido Fish & Game Assn (Valley Center).

golden sky

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I under stand from folks i know in "related" CA agencies that actual law enforcement is becoming a big concern.
I can see legislatures here going after BP users due to fire hazard issue. it wont take long. we'll be hunting with spears next

golden sky

36 Cl.
Reaction score
now that would be Hot! Brittany wearing only animal fur bikini and a razor sharp spear in hand, while unwashed and filthy stalking thru the woods

zneufeld

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
what are you paying now? I run premium these days, so $5/gallon seems to be the standard here in LA
I don't run premium, but it is really bad right now. Last time I filled up, I think it was $4.45. There are places on the Westside that are routinely near $5 for regular.

golden sky

36 Cl.
Reaction score
i just saw $5.60 for 91 in town at a Chevron, wonder how much is AV Gas in town for LL101?

Latest posts