• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

California black powder revolver laws

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe you can still own BP revolvers in California, however you can't shoot lead round ball anymore and I just learned that it is now illegal to buy, sell, and eat Alligator, Kangaroo, or Python....so don't except to find those delicious Gator Bites at Cabelas anymore!
When you get there maybe you can fill us in on what the penalty is for eating Alligator or chewing on Python Jerky??

When average folk figure out that the potential for actual enforcement of almost every CA law is not even a consideration when passed any more it will be H to pay.

I live in CA. Yes, you can legally bring anything that is classified as an "Antique or Curio Relic," which includes repros of black powder firearms (including percussion revolvers). Unlike modern guns, you don't have to declare it and register it. Once you live here, you can have BP guns shipped to your door without using an FFL or the waiting period.

However, the laws surrounding transportation are confusing to say the least, so it's best to treat any BP gun the same as a modern gun when transporting (keeping the ammo, powder, and caps in a separate place in the car, keeping the gun in a locked container or with a locking safety device).

My understanding is that until a percussion revolver is capped, it is not considered a firearm under CA law. BUT, I wouldn't trust any CA cops to know that.

Another thing to know is that many ranges don't allow black powder here. They exist, but many don't, probably because of perceived fire
OMG Why bother?

There is FIERCE joy in properly taking fish, birds, or other game. Better writers than I have told of it. But the best of their writings do do match the reality.
Hooking a live, fighting blue or rock in the surf on a cold November night. Something that overcomes the aching cold and numbness. Sitting in a blind in January in sub zero weather trying to coax a snow goose. Chest deep in cold water in flooded timber in January in the Mississipi River calling ducks in.
My 75 YO carcass is wearing out but BYGOD I ache and want more of that.

I lived in CA for 18yrs up to 2010, at that time CA did not recognize black powder revolvers as 'guns', therefore not susceptible to gun ownership laws. Black powder firearms are legally considered “antique firearms” under California law and as such are not subject to normal California regulations on assembling or manufacturing firearms.
Hi, Is there a DOJ doc that I can refer to for this exception ?

Hi, Is there a DOJ doc that I can refer to for this exception ?
I lived in California from 1960 to 2018.
2010 was a LONG time ago.
California laws are ever moving, heck, the nation's laws are ever moving.
You need to check your local laws Annually.

You need to check the California laws, not any DOJ records, often California does not operate the way national laws do.

Back