• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cali Turkey Countdown...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Season opens Saturday. Who is going? What are you going to use for shot in our lead free paradise? I am going to load #5 bismuth/tin. The game cameras have been showing a few on the property.
I__00029.JPG
I__00049.JPG

You fellas on the west coast pen up your turkeys, looks like a lotta fencing, High fence turkey hunters.

Just a pen around the well and solar equipment to keep safe from the critters and cows. Also had to put a few posts around the water trough so I could wire it down. The Bad News Bear thought jt was a cool play toy.

I__00106.JPG

I__00107.JPG

Not much stops bears except a real game fence with the posts set in concrete. Most folks won't spend the money on that type of fencing. If you want to keep deer, bears, coyotes, and hogs out of a space then game fencing, with an auxiliary electric fence line(s) set at the appropriate height for the animal one is trying to repel simply cannot be beat. The cost is almost always recouped fairly quickly because you are not constantly replanting crops, replacing livestock, replacing lightweight fencing, or rebuilding structures.

Our season in southern TN starts this weekend. thinking about taking a page from Brit's playbook and starting with my .45 smoothbore. Haven't got any game cameras but have been talking to one or two toms for about a week now behind the house late in the evenings....

Change in plans. Haven't worked up a load for the .45 smoothie yet, and planned to today, but didn't get the chance. Looks like I am going with the .56 T/C smoothbore for this weekend. That thing throws a surprisingly good pattern with a mixed shot load out to 25 yards or so. My .56 is not nearly as nice looking or historically accurate as that 16 bore pictured above though. But Ole' Tom doesn't know that...

Finally got on the board this morning. One of my Sons and I went this morning and set up within flydown distance of our favorite roost tree, my son and I 200 yards apart. Two Toms and two jakes flew down to me and the Boss Tom chased off the other birds then came right up to Jezebel, my decoy. He stretched his head up and...

The Jakes went down to say "Hi" to my Sons decoys and...

All done in 15 minutes.
IMG_2029.jpg
IMG_2031.jpg

Latest posts

Back