Cabin Size

Discussion in 'Primary Documentation' started by zimmerstutzen, Jan 30, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Mar 8, 2019 #21

zimmerstutzen

zimmerstutzen

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.

My wife heard me talking about this and reminded me that there is still a small house on this property that is timber frame, but only 19 x 18 ft and two stories. Word from the family that owned this place for almost 150 years, was that the Man that built that house was wounded at Gettysburg, given leave to recuperate, He grabbed one of the many mules wandering the battlefield and rode it home the 40 or 50 miles. A few weeks later, he began cutting the timbers for the timber frame of the small house. the previous/ original home was down in the flood plain and was much smaller

Angie likes this.
  2. Mar 13, 2019 #22

flntlokr

flntlokr

flntlokr

Pilgrim

I have worked in the woods in Canada for 40 years, and have seen a large number of wilderness cabins, or the remains of them. Most were in the range of 120 to 250 square feet, tending towards the smaller size. Big cabins were hard to keep warm, the rule of thumb being; your woodpile should be as big as your house. You may not need it all, but better to have too much. there would also be a second pile of fresher wood seasoning for next year.

azmntman and Angie like this.
  3. Mar 14, 2019 at 10:56 PM #23

shane a gress

shane a gress

shane a gress

40 Cal

Growing up hunting near the farm there was a stone foundation in the woods. It was in the 10 to 12 foot square range. It always had several inches of water in it. I had asked my granddad about the water and he said it was built over a spring. He mentioned that it was common to do this. Has anyone ever heard of this being done?

4. Mar 15, 2019 at 12:49 AM #24

Baxter

Baxter

Baxter

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

About 3 - 4 miles north of Mtn. Home ID there are/were some hot springs and foundations of small (10'X12' or so) buildings, a couple with a small spring within them. I never knew anyone in the area who knew what the buildings were like, the entire area is high desert. I didn't see enough stone lying about to make a stone building, and no old wood either.

5. Mar 15, 2019 at 3:23 AM #25

Bo T

Bo T

Bo T

40 Cal.

In so much as there are not a lot of live springs in some areas, it wasn't so common. But a couple of centuries ago having running water was special and a refrigerator to boot-so if you could and it wasn't likely to flood out, then you probably would (all things considered). I saw one house built across a small stream, and many built close to the water source.

6. Mar 15, 2019 at 4:07 AM #26

azmntman

azmntman

azmntman

75 Cal.

We often hike Veit Springs trail on the San Francisco peaks. Real easy hike. There is a cabin there. I would guess 12x16. When I was about 14-15 yrs old I was hunting deer and came upon it. Had bed springs etc left, real old. Now "they" have found it, made a trail to it, named it after local outdoors guy (Lamar Haines) and it is visited often. When I stumbled across it it was NOT a well knonw place. Google it, there a cool story about stage coach robbers grabbing a chest of gold and heading up with the posse on their tails. Story is there was a shoot out an all the robbers killed and no gold found. Folks disputed it and blamed the posse etc till one day a guy come in a bar in Flagstaff in 1800's and buys the house a round and pays with a gold coin. Bragged he had found the cache. He died of a heart attack like that night or next morning and no one in the many that went looking has ever found it. ???maybe some day??? I would be a good millionaire. Would melt that stuff down quicker n crap to avoid sharing with Wells Fargo or whoever LOL. By the way it collapsed about 2011 when we had a 5 ft snow here in town. Were at 7000 ft, Viet is probably about 8500 or higher so they likely had 7-8 feet. Still cool. Has a spring, a cliff with a spinng house built in it, Injun paintings on rocks about 15 feet high etc etc. Lotta game, we have seen elk, deer bear etc and lion tracks and turkey. Not sure who was first there, suspect a sheep herder camp or somthin similiar