• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabin Creek Muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erhunter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Did anyone have problems getting their locks sent here to have tuned? I mailed my original 2001 Lyman lock there in January by FedEX and it never made it. FedEx said it was delivered to York. I am now sending an L&R RPL in for tuning and the post office asked if that was the correct address. They said their zip 17406 is for York? Cabin Creek has their address on their site as follows:50 w. Beaver Street, Hallam, Pa. 17406. Is this correct? I can't get a hold of Cabin Creek at all.

Did anyone have problems getting their locks sent here to have tuned? I mailed my original 2001 Lyman lock there in January by FedEX and it never made it. FedEx said it was delivered to York. I am now sending an L&R RPL in for tuning and the post office asked if that was the correct address. They said their zip 17406 is for York? Cabin Creek has their address on their site as follows:50 w. Beaver Street, Hallam, Pa. 17406. Is this correct? I can't get a hold of Cabin Creek at all.
They don't answer the phone?

If you have an L+R lock ,why not be safe and send it to L+R ????????
I had it back there for repair 2 days after I bought it. The fly would get caught up and the hammer wouldn't drop smoothly. They did fix it though. As for being tuned, I would expect that should have been done to begin with from the factory so I'm going with Cabin Creek because of all of their great reviews. Thanks for the reply though oldwood!

I had it back there for repair 2 days after I bought it. The fly would get caught up and the hammer wouldn't drop smoothly. They did fix it though. As for being tuned, I would expect that should have been done to begin with from the factory so I'm going with Cabin Creek because of all of their great reviews. Thanks for the reply though oldwood!
L&R doesn't tune anything. I had issues with a L&R Manton and a L&R Bedford stopping at halfcock. On the Bedford the fly was getting caught under the tumbler & gouging the plate. They're just throwing "as cast" parts together. The only machining done that I have found is that one side of the fly is ground flat. Also their lock plates are not flat. I won't buy from them again. I have bought a Jim Chambers Large Siler, Small Siler and a Late Ketland. All three of them properly machined & tuned. Smooth as glass! Save yourself some aggrevation. Buy from Chambers or Kibler.

Last edited:
L&R doesn't tune anything. I had issues with a L&R Manton and a L&R Bedford stopping at halfcock. On the Bedford the fly was getting caught under the tumbler & gouging the plate. They're just throwing "as cast" parts together. The only machining done that I have found is that one side of the fly is ground flat. Also their lock plates are not flat. I won't buy from them again. I have bought a Jim Chambers Large Siler, Small Siler and a Late Ketland. All three of them properly machined & tuned. Smooth as glass! Save yourself some aggrevation. Buy from Chambers or Kibler.
I was looking at them and know they are the best but I have a 2001 Lyman Trade Rifle and it seemed like L&R was my only option besides getting another flinter from Lyman. I would have purchased a Kibler in a heart beat!

Cabin Creek built a superb rifle for me. I can not say enough good about it or Cabin Creek.

That said I never tried phoning them. If I sent an email that required an answer Brad would either email or telephone me. They are relatively local so I made an appointment to visit and place my order in person which was very beneficial. I had Brad's experience and wisdom to guide me as we worked up the specs.
His pride in the rifle was both evident and justified when I visited to pick it up.

Given the very high quality of their work - Friends call my rifle a work of art - I am not surprised they do not answer the phone. Imagine that you are working on something like that. Would you not turn the ringer off rather than suffer interruptions from telemarketers and those who may or may not become customers?

I have had them tune up 2 locks for me, both flint, a cva and a traditions. All phone calls were answered by Brad. Excellent service and MUCH improved performance in the locks with way less than half the money in 1 L&R lock.

FWIW, I put the address into Google sans the zip and the zip came up the same as you have it.

My Trudy is a Cabin Creek Mountain Rifle in .54...., sure has put a lot of venison on my table.

As for FedEx, depending on how you send it..., they are notorious for dropping stuff on a doorstep, or worse. FedEx bought another company, and those drivers ended up being FedEx Ground. They get paid to deliver all that's on the truck and then they are done for the day, and if they don't want to go out of their way on their route, or want to end early, or screw up and miss the last box... there's a lot of things they will do...I've seen it.

LD

Last edited:
If it’s an L&R lock, call them. They replaced the mainspring on my 38 year old Durrs Egg lock which involved drilling a new pin hole in the plate and filling the old one (the spring design had changed) in a few days of shipping it, for under $40 ! Great folks.

If it’s an L&R lock, call them. They replaced the mainspring on my 38 year old Durrs Egg lock which involved drilling a new pin hole in the plate and filling the old one (the spring design had changed) in a few days of shipping it, for under $40 ! Great folks.
My lock seems to be functioning ok, I would just like Brad Emig to tune it because I heard he really knows his locks. Thanks for your reply!

I agree to all the above. Brad does excellent work on locks. Had him do two for me and I am very pleased with how each turned out. A Pa Hunter Flintlock performs much better than the original T/C. He did a complete rework on that one. Had another - a L&R that I found rusted in the basement after a minor flood. Totally cleaned and tested. 7 out of 5 stars.

I have had several locks tuned by Brad. His work is top notch. I have never had an issue with them responding to my calls. I do know that they had a problem with their web site. Some locks have been there less than a week. Others took a few months if he had to make any of the parts or harden something. Their work is well worth any wait time.

It is correct, I have sent my locks there, Brad does a great job.

Latest posts

Back