• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

cabelas tradegun historically accurate?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidmongoose

32 Cal.
Reaction score
howdy I'm getting ready to buy my first flintlock, want a 20ga smoothbore, will be used fo deerto 75yd, rabbit and tree rat. Am also lookg at historical trekking with a local group, is the trade gun offered by cabelas cl9se enough for 1730-1763?

thanks

I think you will find that the Cabelas gun is more like a post 1800 trade gun, You would be looking for someyhing of an earlier type like the Wilson, or Carolina or Early English the NW gun as most often offered today is a later period gun.

Allright TG I looked around a little and you are correct, so what is my best bet under $1200 for a French Fusil or early english design? say 1720-1760, really dont see myself building, any recommendations?

Russ

rabidmongoose,
I bought a Chief's Grade Trade Gun from North Star West.
It is 16 ga. smooth bore and it is a very nice firearm. I did have one problem with the frizzen, sent the lock back, the frizzen was replaced, all the springs replaced, lock parts re-polished, tuned and there was NO charge.

I was so pleased with what they did; I had them fit a second frizzen and bought a complete set of replacement springs.

Nice customer service. I would not hesitate to purchase from them again.
By the way the trade gun was under $1000.00.

I’ve used this firearm for everything from turkeys to geese to skeet. This has become my favorite firearm, and I current have 11 muzzleloaders.

Their web site is: <http://www.northstarwest.com/guncat.html

Sincerely
AJ / Ohio

I have had two North Starr guns and they were good quality, Caywwod also has a good reputation, as for French fusils with anyone you choose you will compromise some historical authenticity as no one really makes one that is modled after the originals except for The Riffle Shoppe

I think the Rifle shop just talks about making them because no one can get anything from those guys anyway!

Close friend has a Caywood Game Gun in .54. Excellent quality, good wood, good fit and finish. Was worth the short wait.

The Gun Works has an "Early English" on it's site under used/new custom guns...or something like that. Track has one as well but priced higher. The one on Track can be viewed with their usual good photos. Good to look at and see if it's something you like. Good luck.

RM,

condense the thread,

The French Fusil copies are not PC,

The Northwest Trade gun is not PC for your era.

Several companies offer good quality English style guns at a good price, that will fill all your needs from reenacting to hunting, in 12 and 20 bore.

the answer to your question is "get the English gun, with or without sights, at less than $1,000"

Well was offline for a bit, ended up ordering a french c from caywood. anyone dealt with them? Very nice on the phone, should have it in April.

R

I have only heard good things about them and the quality of their guns, what type of wood did you go with? and if I may ask what swayed your choice to the so called type "C"?

Well as faras wood it is to be fancy maple with iron fittings, rear sight for my bad eyes, and am thinking on sling swivels. As to choosing thr psudeo C model I figured an older gun could cover all the way from 1700-1776 in case I want to try some living history stuff

It is always better to go with an earlier gun in case you time travel back a bit as you grow with the sport, FWIW there were no known originals made with fancy maple stocks but it does seem to be a popular choice among todays shooters, I am certain you will like the gun, I know a few people who went with Caywood and are very pleased, now there is just the "waiting" that is always the hard part, good luck and savour the feeling when the gun shows up on your doorstep.

Back