• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabela's not shipping bp guns anymore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkItZero

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Just saw that all black powder guns on their site say "in store sales only" in a yellow warning box. When did this policy change and why?

I saw this discussion on another forum and one problem mentioned is how the rules vary from state to state. AFAIK, you can arrange free ship to a local cabelas if you have one. I dont see it as a big deal.

I cashed in my Purina pro club points for Cabelas gift card intent was to buy a flintlock. Not only did they not ship to home I could not get a ship to store for pick up. I ordered the Traditions mountain rifle directly from Traditions and received in a couple days.

More and more states are making it difficult for vendors to ship a pre 1898 firearm directly to the buyer.

Here in Illinois we haven't been able to get many vendors to direct ship a muzzleloader to the buyer for years. Our nonsensical gun laws require a flintlock to be shipped to a FFL. I guess the reason for the unreasonable restrictions is to reduce the number of flintlocks used in drive by shootings in Chicago and East St. Louis. :doh:

Cabela's is now owned by Bass Pro Shops. BSP flagship store and main offices are in Springfield, MO. BSP is not known to be anti-gun or anti-American. In fact, quite the opposite. An inquiry to them in Springfield might get the answer you want.

Awhile back I was informed by assoc. at Cabelas I could not order online to home or store that you have to order on the phone to ship to store. So after some thought on whether or not I wanted to place an order I called back to have one shipped to store even though it is a 2 hr drive, I called back to order a pedersoli blue ridge. Well I should have expected this but was told by the CS dude, after many hold times while he “checked” he would not sell to me even if shipped to store. I said screw Cabelas, bought a Kentucky from Dixie.

ps, he did say I could go to the store and the store if not in stock would order one, Nah.

Here are the reasons their policies have changed. Blame the lawyers of the world and the anti-gunners not BPS/Cabela's. Their accountants will look at the potential loss of millions of dollars against the profits generated by the sales of black powder arms and make the only recommendation they can. Antis use tactics like these to nibble away at our freedoms and some self-serving politician, local or state, will see the publicity generated and introduce a bill to remove muzzleloaders from the exempt list. Antique firearms are still subject to whatever State laws and local ordinances may apply.

"The national gun control group is backing a lawsuit against the big box retailer over the sale of a replica muzzleloader to a felon who later used it to kill an Ohio man. The Brady Campaign, representing the family of slain 21-year-old Bryan Galliher, filed the action against Cabela’s in the Common Pleas Court of Wayne County on Tuesday.

The group is seeking damages from the sporting goods chain owned by Bass Pro, arguing that store employees should have known they were violating state law against selling guns to a prohibited firearm possessor when they sold a replica 1858 Army .44-caliber black powder revolver to Paul Claren, a man with a lengthy criminal history, over the phone in 2014 followed by a reloading kit in July 2016."

"Brady, with a long history of legal action against gun retailers with mixed results, is currently engaged in another lawsuit against the chain over the sale of a pistol that was later traded by a felon and used in a shooting that killed a Delaware woman."

Last edited:
I'm in the San Diego area, I ordered from them a few years ago and ups dropped the gun off at my door. The nearest Cabela's store is in Rancho Cucamonga, far further than I would be willing to drive.

I am 40 miles outside of NYC and just got an 1858 Remington sheriff from cabelas

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 109
The frustration of criminals screwing everything up for the rest of us and for a government to do whatever they want. I used to live in Canada because my stepfather got transferred up there with a company he worked for. I was able in 1970 to ship in Dixie parts to make a rifle, although I had to pay a 1/3rd Excise and Duty tax on it to Canadian Customs. I was able to take it with me in 1972 to the US when I went to College. When I came back in 1976, it was no problem bringing it back into Canada, but a Navy Arms Griswold and Gunnison kit gun I made in the States threw them into a tizzy. Customs took the gun away from me and sent it to the local RCMP office. I had to go and pick it up from there and since it didn't have a serial # on it, I had to add one. Fortunately, when I filled out the registration paperwork for it, they allowed me to assign one with the promise of one I then selected to be on it in the next few days. Up there, you have to get a Permit to Convey a firearm (a muzzleloader is classified the same as a cartridge gun) to the gun range with the route you intend to take and the times of the trip. Now THAT really stuck in my craw Big Time. I was glad I could re-enjoy my freedoms as an American when I moved back to the Good Ol' USA 2 weeks later.

Last edited:
criminals don't screw up nothing. it is the gun owners that do that. by constantly puking out "I am a law abiding citizen" which is music to the ears of anti gun pols. so they pass law after law and ram them down the throats of "law abiding gun owners". even the fat guy down south that made that speech to the town council made famous by gun owners now is getting into the govt he said in the speech if you ban my guns as a "law abiding gun owner" I WILL TURN THEM IN. why did the pro gunners make him into a hero for?

criminals don't screw up nothing. it is the gun owners that do that. by constantly puking out "I am a law abiding citizen" which is music to the ears of anti gun pols. so they pass law after law and ram them down the throats of "law abiding gun owners". even the fat guy down south that made that speech to the town council made famous by gun owners now is getting into the govt he said in the speech if you ban my guns as a "law abiding gun owner" I WILL TURN THEM IN. why did the pro gunners make him into a hero for?
I’m not sure I understand this...

In Canada, a flintlock muzzle loading rifle is not even considered a firearm..
a flintlock pistol, unless classified an antique, falls under the same laws and restrictions as my AR15.
however, and actual antique revolver, pre 1898 i think, such as a 45 cal Webley with “speed loaders” chambered in a non restricted or prohibited cal or cartridge type, does not even require a licence, while a reproduction cap and ball must be locked up and only used at a range sanctioned by the CFO
laws here are quite nonsensical

In Canada, a flintlock muzzle loading rifle is not even considered a firearm..

It's not in most states here in the United States, and is not considered a firearm by the Federal Government. It is by legal definition an "antique firearm" even if it was made yesterday.

The group is seeking damages from the sporting goods chain owned by Bass Pro, arguing that store employees should have known they were violating state law against selling guns to a prohibited firearm possessor when they sold a replica 1858 Army .44-caliber black powder revolver to Paul Claren, a man with a lengthy criminal history, over the phone in 2014 followed by a reloading kit in July 2016."

Not really sure how one concludes that this ↑ is the bases for the change in shipping. Buying that same black powder handgun "in-store" does not stop another felon from doing just what Claren did. There is no NICS check when buying a black powder revolver in the vast majority of states, even if Cabela's wanted to adopt such a policy, the State police in many states will not do it, as they are already swamped with firearms sales.

It's much more likely that because they are swamped by COVID-19 panic buys, they cannot handle some items well, so it's "in store pickup" only. Walmart has a lot of merchandise that was once shipped, that is now "in store pickup". I suspect it's to drive customers into the store, which they know often results in more money spent than would've been had it been shipped. I'd submit that Cabela's knows the same thing, and with say at home "orders" abounding in the US, the more customers that they can get, the better.

LD

I don't understand how local and state governments can over ride the constitution and the Second Amendment,

BPS/Cabela's isn't going against the Constitution but simply setting cooperate policy which they have a right to do. Going by ATF guidelines a person subject to Federal firearms disabilities is not prohibited from owning a black powder muzzleloading firearm but a state or locality may view this differently. As to whether states and local governments can override the constitution or not to meet their perceived needs, well that discussion could go on forever and the only way to change anything is to vote and become active.

In the case of Galliher vs Cabela's in Ohio; “Black powder guns are fully-functional replicas of antique rifles, shotguns, or handguns and are considered by Ohio and a handful of other states to be equivalent to modern firearms for the purposes of purchase and possession laws, and are subsequently prohibited for violent convicted felons." In both cases the suits against BPS/Cabela's are civil suits and it's possible Federal, state and local laws may not be involved. Sort of like one suing the maker of an electric toothbrush if one broke off a front tooth while using it.

Going by ATF guidelines a person subject to Federal firearms disabilities is not prohibited from owning a black powder muzzleloading firearm
It was once the case that a person who was convicted as a felon for say, "felony theft" could not own nor possess a modern firearm. They could, however, buy and use a muzzleloader that used black powder, and could hunt, for example. Decades ago I knew a nice older man who was an avid black powder hunter, and found out the reason was that he in his youth had a conviction for GTA.

Alas the Federal law has been changed, and persons convicted of any crime where the penalty could have been one where the convicted person was considered "prohibited", now includes ammunition and components. So a person with a conviction that prohibits firearm possession cannot now legally use muzzleloaders, as the powder, whether black powder or a substitute is considered a "component", as are the projectiles.

LD

Just saw that all black powder guns on their site say "in store sales only" in a yellow warning box. When did this policy change and why?
I ordered and received from them a Pedersoli Bess within the last year so I was curious upon reading this. Since I live in the (thankfully) Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, I did not experience any problems. I just tried a mock (uncompleted) purchase of the brass-framed 1851 revolver just to see if I could and I could have had it shipped if the purchase was completed. While doing so, I noticed a little drop down link to the right of the picture reading "View all restrictions that may apply". When I clicked I got a listing of all the zip codes that they are prohibited from shipping to. It's a pretty long list (poor souls). Check and you'll probably see yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back