• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cabela's InvestArms 50cal flintlock conversion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry Miles

40 Cal
Reaction score
I need some help! I have a Cabela's 50cal flintlock Hawken rifle made by InvestArms and I want to convert it to percussion. My problem is the touch hole liner didn't come out clean and I need to chase the threads in the barrel and and install a powder drum. I plan to buy the drum and drill kit from TOW but I need to know what thread size and pitch this barrel has so I can run a tap thru the threads. Any ideas based on experience?

Vent hole is tapped 1/4-28. I chased the threads and installed a new vent liner. I actually made one from a spare percussion cap nipple. I decided to leave it as a rock scraper and not convert. I also learned that flinters don't like T7 powder, only BP. But I still have a delayed firing after the click. Click-BOOM seems to be normal.

Make sure your new liner is not protruding into the combustion chamber. If it is, it will keep powder from getting to the touch hole. I would get the proper liner to fit your gun, you may be causing a problem with you modified nipple/liner. When loading with loose black powder. Give the off side of the lock a lite rap with the heel of your hand to settle the powder in the combustion chamber. This may help with better ignition. You may even need to pick the touch hole to get a few grains of powder closer to the vent.

Back