• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cabelas Hawken style rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leadhoarder

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up a Cabelas haken style rifle that was made by investarms for what I feel was a very good price that I could not pass up.

It is a 54 with a very nice walnut stock in a modern pattern with a recoil pad on it. Really comfortable to shoulder albeit at the cost of not having historical aesthetics. It appears to have roughly a 1-48 twist and seems that it may be chrome lines which I have read was an option on some of the Cabelas rifles.

I do not care for the rear sight on it as it is an adjustable sight but seems to be really flimsy. I can press on it and it moves easily. I cannot imagine that it returns consistently with the affects of recoil. I think I will put a peep in it but the Lyman and Williams sights are impossible to get right now. The rear sight is not dovetailed in. It looks to be screwed in like a TC so I do not think I can change the rear sight but putting a peep on the tang makes that a moot point. I guess I could buy a dovetail jig and files and try my hand at that if I really had to.

Anyways I was curious if others have any experience with them and if so you do anything about the rear sight?

I picked up a Cabelas haken style rifle that was made by investarms for what I feel was a very good price that I could not pass up.

It is a 54 with a very nice walnut stock in a modern pattern with a recoil pad on it. Really comfortable to shoulder albeit at the cost of not having historical aesthetics. It appears to have roughly a 1-48 twist and seems that it may be chrome lines which I have read was an option on some of the Cabelas rifles.

I do not care for the rear sight on it as it is an adjustable sight but seems to be really flimsy. I can press on it and it moves easily. I cannot imagine that it returns consistently with the affects of recoil. I think I will put a peep in it but the Lyman and Williams sights are impossible to get right now. The rear sight is not dovetailed in. It looks to be screwed in like a TC so I do not think I can change the rear sight but putting a peep on the tang makes that a moot point. I guess I could buy a dovetail jig and files and try my hand at that if I really had to.

Anyways I was curious if others have any experience with them and if so you do anything about the rear sight?
Yea just a little; I have one in .54 with the standard style stock. I ditched the factory rear sight; it is held on with two screws. I filed in a dovetail removing one of the mounting screw holes and put in a traditional styled fixed sight. The screw holes are far enough apart that you are going to be stuck with one of them still being there; I just used a filler screw. I like the looks much better with the fixed sight.

You could look at the Skinner Peep sights. They have a model that will use the existing screw holes, This peep would be barrel mounted, of course, so if you want a tang mounted peep sight you may want to check out the ones offered by TOW.

Here is a picture of what I did for mine. The plate screws right into the original holes with the factory screws. The plate moves the rear sight further out to help my old eyes focus better. The plate is dovetailed for 3/8 dovetail.

Attachments

• buck horn site.jpg
    buck horn site.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 72
Back