• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

CABELAS HAWKEN CARBINE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roundball2319

40 Cal
Reaction score
Good day to you all. I have a friend who will sale me her Cabelas hawken carbine. If i didn't know better i would of said it was brand new and never fired but i know she worked up a load for it one season. since then its been a safe queen. She prefers the single trigger on her t/c new englander. She told me she missed a buck by grabbing the set trigger on the cabelas carbine. I was wondering what your thoughts on that carbine are? Quality wise it looks better then my lyman and t/c renegade. Anybody own one and what loads did it like?

I'm pretty sure that the Cabela's guns are made by Investa Arms. They're an Italian company that has makes pretty good muzzleloaders. I've never owned one myself but if the gun was well cared for, I'm sure it would work out good for you.

Good day to you all. I have a friend who will sale me her Cabelas hawken carbine. If i didn't know better i would of said it was brand new and never fired but i know she worked up a load for it one season. since then its been a safe queen. She prefers the single trigger on her t/c new englander. She told me she missed a buck by grabbing the set trigger on the cabelas carbine. I was wondering what your thoughts on that carbine are? Quality wise it looks better then my lyman and t/c renegade. Anybody own one and what loads did it like?
I’ve had a couple of those. Decent quality in percussion models, (they’re pretty much an Italian replicas of various T/C models, the locks are very close copies, and the barrels often interchange. They usually have chromed bores and seem to be accurate reliable rifles.

I ordered a .58 hawkin from Cabela's and when it arrived it looked so silly with that huge barrel being so short I retuned and got a regular sportifzed model. I like it as well as any, if shorts yer thing you'll be happy.

I love carbines. I grew up with a Winchester 30/30 and a break open 12 gauge. So it feels very natural to me when i have handled it. Both her and her husband love muzzleloader season and they have showed me through the ropes mentoring me the last 10 years. He turned 74 this muzzleloader season on the mountain and we hunted at 11800 ft. His wife is 67 and she was up there hunting with us as well.

These rifles have a solid reputation as shooters. I've owned two shorties, sold the .50 but still have the .45. I've actually seen little difference that barrel length in the woods as far as handling goes, 24" all the way up to 42". You probably have a rifle that will see lots of use.

I have two; one 45 and one 58, both lefty cap locks. Nothing PC/HC about them, they are just good shooters and excellent hunting guns. Made for tree stands where a 42" barrel can be might cumbersome.

ADK Bigfoot

I've owned several of them and still have a .58 caliber. Good stout, well made rifles and will give you good service for a long time !

AFAIK, Investarm also builds the Lyman Great Plains Rifle (GPR) - a quality rifle, for sure.

I ordered a .58 hawkin from Cabela's and when it arrived it looked so silly with that huge barrel being so short I retuned and got a regular sportifzed model. I like it as well as any, if shorts yer thing you'll be happy.
I took a .58 in trade for something or other. Liked it, killed a cow elk with it and then a friend wanted it for his first elk rifle so I gave it to him with the promise that if he ever tired of it he would return it to me. That was more than fifteen years ago so I’m beginning to think I’ll never get the darn thing back.

Have the .50 Cabela’s Hawken. Made by Invest Arms. Bought it years ago. Still own it.

It’s a solid built muzzleloader. Comparable to TC as already been mentioned. It’s simple and rugged. Has a 1:48 twist barrel that’s always been spot on accurate for me.

Very dependable muzzleloader that’s served me well through the years.

It’s what I use as my introductory muzzleloader in getting new people into muzzleloading. Has a record of opening up a whole new world for them.

As you can see, I have a true passion for that muzzleloader.

Ya just can’t beat the price neither!

Respectfully, Cowboy

I have an investarms “Hawken” with a .36/45/50/54 caliber barrels 23”.
makes for a lite - effective hunting rifle.
Wow! Four different caliber barrels.
I cann't even amagine the multitude of possible problems that I would have with keeping all the different components organized; it's already too easy for me to end up at the range with my .50/.54 range box and not have the right roundballs for the rifle I brought.

I have at leas 8 different calibers to deal with. Not all the same gun of coarse. Just takes some sorting. I have my supplies in a tackle box to keep the different sizes sorted in different bins.

I have at leas 8 different calibers to deal with. Not all the same gun of coarse. Just takes some sorting. I have my supplies in a tackle box to keep the different sizes sorted in different bins.
Keep good notes - load, powder, rods, caps, flints etc..... etc.....
My gun-caliber lists I keep in my MEMO software on my phone.
When I go muzzling I refer to my notes.
I plan my range trips with a 100 round supply stock, and normally only take 1 gun at a time.
I then put the appropriate ball, patch, rod, powder, flask, etc....... into the range box.
When I get back and finish cleaning, I restock the supplies that I used.
Refill the windex wipe bottle,
Refill the MAP cleaning bottle,
Replenish the container of round patches,
Replenish the patches tin(s)
Replenish the powder flask(s)
Replenish the cap strippers or flint wallet,
Refill the ball ball\box from the bulk container,
Put everything away in the cabinets so the next trip out will be just putting the supplies off the list for that gun in the range box.
It does take some time to get it all organized but once you get your lists made it's fast and easy.
I have also made checklists like this for a hunting trip, loading my bag with the supplies I will need instead of the range box. The big difference is the quantity of supplies. A hunting trip is normally based on a 10 ball trip for large game and a 25 ball trip for small game.

Latest posts

Back