• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CABELAS HAWKEN CARBINE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was surprised as I occasionally check for such things. It was up for a couple of days - the gun haters must have been on vacation. At any rate, I had looked at one and ALMOST bought it from a local shop - but it was just a bit more than I wanted to spend. Then this came along and I made the deal. As I recall I got some supplies with it too. All for under a C note.

Well I picked the gem up. Now if the snow stays away this weekend I will see how it does with a few loads.

Attachments

• 20201015_220540.jpg
    20201015_220540.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 135
the gun in my avitar is just what we are talking about. I've had it for 25-30 years and have had a ton of fun with it.

Super easy to clean!!!

I shot it this weekend with a light rabbit load with patched round balls. It was a blast. 25g of 2f followed by 25 grains of malto meal as a buffer and to eliminate the air gap, with a .020 patch lubed with olive oil and a .490 ball. same hole to 1 inch groups at 25 and 35 yards.

I shot it this weekend with a light rabbit load with patched round balls. It was a blast. 25g of 2f followed by 25 grains of malto meal as a buffer and to eliminate the air gap, with a .020 patch lubed with olive oil and a .490 ball. same hole to 1 inch groups at 25 and 35 yards.
Is the air gap because the amount of powder doesn't fill the improved breach to the top?

That's correct.
Ah! I'm not getting the results I want from a .32 Cherokee I picked up last summer. It was unfired so nothing wrong with bore. Im only using 10-20 gr of 3F and that might be my problem. I have new borescope that hooks up to my phone. I'll load some different charges and then have a look see how much of the breach is filled and go from there.
Thanks

Doesn't the carbine have a fast twist barrel, I had a Cabellas with a 32" barrel and it was a 1-48, I'm pretty sure the carbines were 1-26 or so.

Back