• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cabela's Hawken by Investarms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedgoat44

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi there! I have a crack at one of these locally for $300. I haven't seen it up close yet, but it's reportedly in good condition. This seems like a decent deal, but I don't know much about the gun. Would anyone care to comment on their experience with this gun including the good/bad/ugly? Thanks!!!!

I have it in .54 cal, good guns. If I was to sell mine, I would be thinking in the $300 range, so I don't think you can go wrong with it if in good shape.

A couple of questions: Are these 1-48" and do they have a hooked breech? Are the sights serviceable or would they best be replaced? I wonder if a skinner dovetail sight or similar would work in this? Thanks for the info and feedback all!

A couple of questions: Are these 1-48" and do they have a hooked breech? Are the sights serviceable or would they best be replaced? I wonder if a skinner dovetail sight or similar would work in this? Thanks for the info and feedback all!
Yes, it will have a hooked breach. The sights will be dove tailed and you can swap out if you don’t like them. The twist will most likely be a 1-48. The Investarms Gemmer Hawkens have a 1-60.

I have one (.54 cal.) and it's a good rifle. 1-48" twist, hooked breech. Front sight dovetailed in, rear is secured by screws. The sights arent the best, but you might find them to be quite serviceable, and they can be replaced.

I have 4 Cabelas Hawkins and a Great Plains rifle also made by Investarms and like how the guns shoot. When I bought my fist one 30 years ago the finished rifle new sold for around $170. A good bargain back then. They are still good guns and still a bargain if you find a clean used one.

My most favorite is a 45 caliber Hawken I built from a kit. I love shooting that gun and have around 800 rounds down the barrel. I get impressive accuracy from that gun too. It even shoots the Lee REAL 200gr bullets about as well as it does round balls.

$300 for the rifle you have in mind sounds like a good deal. At least its at the bottom end of what a clean rifle sells for.

How you you think this gun compares with a renegade? I have a craxk at one of those too but it's a fair piece more expensive. Thanks all!

Speedgoat44, You'll need to shoulder each gun to determine which fits you better. E.g., I have a Renegade that doesn't fi me well at all v. an Investarms (Lyman) that fits me perfectly. Also, it took me ~1 hr. top polish the sear, trigger, and lock innards with a Dremel and fine Cratex wheel to get the set trigger to work as well as the one on the Renegade. However, the Renegade needed a bit of adjustment as well.

The Investarm is closer to an original if that matters to you. The Renegade is more modern, flat buttplate, more like today's rifles.

How you you think this gun compares with a renegade? I have a craxk at one of those too but it's a fair piece more expensive. Thanks all!

For me the Renegade comb is too high and it makes it hard to get my face low enough to see the sights. I let my bud shoot my gun but didn't say anything about the comb height. He fired one shot and said he had a hard time getting his face down to see the sights.

The Renegade is a hell for stout gun and if it fits you and the price is fair then go for it.

As said, they’re both great rifles for the money. I have a Renegade and an Investarms Gemmer Hawken. Love them both and I have no problem with the fit of either. But if your only going to get one of them it’s best to shoulder each and see what you think.

I have a left hand percussion .50 that I took a nice doe with last weekend.

102222-cabelas-hawken.jpg

It's a well-made, accurate rifle. Mine didn't shoot well with light loads but groups very well with 60 - 70 grains of 3Fg under a .490 ball using either a 0.018 or 0.020 patch. I am planning to try conicals in it because I my ball didn't pass through the very large doe I shot on Saturday, so the blood trail was poor.

The rear sight is not great due to some wobble. I removed it and installed a Lyman 57 SML peep sight (required 1 hole to be drilled and tapped). I also replaced the factory front site with a Lyman white bead, which shows up really well in the dim woods. The gun is very similar to the Lyman Trade Rifle and if Investarm had used the same dovetailed rear sight as on the TR I would have kept it.

If the gun is in good shape, especially the bore, it's a good deal at $300 IMO. I prefer it to the T/C Renegade because the stock fits me better and in .50, the Hawken is lighter.

Cabela's no longer sells this rifle but Dixie Gunworks and Muzzle-loaders.com sell it under different names.

I have a left hand percussion .50 that I took a nice doe with last weekend.

View attachment 170770

It's a well-made, accurate rifle. Mine didn't shoot well with light loads but groups very well with 60 - 70 grains of 3Fg under a .490 ball using either a 0.018 or 0.020 patch. I am planning to try conicals in it because I my ball didn't pass through the very large doe I shot on Saturday, so the blood trail was poor.

The rear sight is not great due to some wobble. I removed it and installed a Lyman 57 SML peep sight (required 1 hole to be drilled and tapped). I also replaced the factory front site with a Lyman white bead, which shows up really well in the dim woods. The gun is very similar to the Lyman Trade Rifle and if Investarm had used the same dovetailed rear sight as on the TR I would have kept it.

If the gun is in good shape, especially the bore, it's a good deal at $300 IMO. I prefer it to the T/C Renegade because the stock fits me better and in .50, the Hawken is lighter.

Cabela's no longer sells this rifle but Dixie Gunworks and Muzzle-loaders.com sell it under different names.
That is a fine looking piece of wood. Fit and finish looks top notch too. So much better than the beech Traditions uses. A lot of these Investarms stocks look like sapele mahagony. Investarms claims their stocks are made of walnut. But I don't think they are.

Latest posts

Back