• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cabela's chaps my hide.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just some general stuff.......

I did a 1 year stretch at the gun counter at a Minnesota Cabela's when I was in between IT jobs.
At other times I also worked at Sportsman's Warehouse (the first generation) and a couple of independents. One of the independents had a few hundred firearms in stock - the other had several thousand. Total full-time firearms retail experience six or seven years, plus some part-time stuff as well.

We had both good and bad people behind the counter.
We had both good and bad people in front of the counter.

As much as it pains me to say it (and it's taken me years to admit it) you're more likely to come across a bad counter person than a bad customer.

Ouch, that really hurt to have to say that.

Like pretty much all of us I have a bunch of gun shop stories about absolutely sterling silver top-of-the-line coworkers and customers, then there are the complete opposites that you want to scrape off the bottom of your shoe.

All I can ask is that if you're in a big box store, keep in mind the counter person doesn't make policy.
I personally (like everyone here) much prefer the independent or Mom & Pop stores.
I am a retired IT person and I have worked in 3 different Gun Stores since my retirement. One was a big corporate store and the other two were mom & pop stores. You are right about corporate policy. Our hands were tied most of the time. I remember a customer that was going on an African Safari. He wanted some big caliber ammo that sold for over $20.00 a round (5 years ago). Field & Stream would not allow us to special order the ammo for the customer, even though he had said he would buy all of the ammo we could get him. In a small mom & pop store we would be VERY grateful for such a customer and that order.

Veitnam does, Afgha

nistan does. I do

People forget who the military is made up of. The American service member will not turn their guns on their own people.

Don't forget each state has a National Guard component made up of people from that State, that act in the interest of the State, not the Federal Govt. Are individual State NG members going to round up or kill their neighbors? No way. There would be a coup first. No one in command of a State NG is either #1 issuing orders to act against citizens and #2 no Guard unit will obey such unlawful orders.

No one is "fighting the US military" we aren't a dicatorship and Americans aren't going to kill Americans. Who's going to force the active duty military and NG units to act against the People? Joe Biden wagging his finger at them :) This is fantastical movie nonsense, that the Army is going to kill us all.......the Army is us.

I was an Active Duty 11b I can tell you 10000% no one would obey orders to act against American citizens. People can argue this all day, "you'll obey when they start arresting non-compliant soldiers" or "when your family is in a camp etc etc" pure and utter nonsense, try telling a Brigade of soldiers made up of 75% God fearing Good Old boys from the South and Texas, and anywhere else to round up Americans and inter people, and to use deadly force against citizens. There is NO way they would obey these orders and who's going to arrest 10,000 armed Soldiers? Other Soldiers?? Even if 25% were Yes men and tried to obey, yeah ok good luck to them.......

People forget who the military is made up of. The American service member will not turn their guns on their own people.

Don't forget each state has a National Guard component made up of people from that State, that act in the interest of the State, not the Federal Govt. Are individual State NG members going to round up or kill their neighbors? No way. There would be a coup first. No one in command of a State NG is either #1 issuing orders to act against citizens and #2 no Guard unit will obey such unlawful orders.

No one is "fighting the US military" we aren't a dicatorship and Americans aren't going to kill Americans. Who's going to force the active duty military and NG units to act against the People? Joe Biden wagging his finger at them :) This is fantastical movie nonsense, that the Army is going to kill us all.......the Army is us.

I was an Active Duty 11b I can tell you 10000% no one would obey orders to act against American citizens. People can argue this all day, "you'll obey when they start arresting non-compliant soldiers" or "when your family is in a camp etc etc" pure and utter nonsense, try telling a Brigade of soldiers made up of 75% God fearing Good Old boys from the South and Texas, and anywhere else to round up Americans and inter people, and to use deadly force against citizens. There is NO way they would obey these orders and who's going to arrest 10,000 armed Soldiers? Other Soldiers?? Even if 25% were Yes men and tried to obey, yeah ok good luck to them.......
I agree and I sure hope we never have to find out for sure.

I was in the Air Force in the mid to late 1970's. One question they asked us in a classroom, on a questionnaire that still bothers me is, "If ordered to do so, would you fire upon American citizens? Yes or No."

I was in the Air Force in the mid to late 1970's. One question they asked us in a classroom, on a questionnaire that still bothers me is, "If ordered to do so, would you fire upon American citizens? Yes or No."
Yes they did ask, and have continued to do so until they get the answers they want. That’s what’s unsettling. But is more than I can worry about.

All the big box sporting stores all operate the same. They all want big profits selling cheap foreign made products. They all want you to believe they expound customer service when in reality they really don't give rats ass. They can operate inefficiently because of straight volume sales of the said cheap foreign manure and then manure themselves on a slow day. Kind of like the current administration.

And don't think for a minute that American troops are saints and will not fire or confine American citizens. I've talked to former spec ops guys and they believe that the younger one will obey orders blindly. You can bet your bottom dollar that the new Feds, like the ATF have had indoctrination that guns are bad. On top of that, I haven't met a guy in a militia that I trust enough to stand with.

I believe the number of people actually willing to fire on Military Forces would be smaller than most people think.

Yep.

A friend recently told a self described "patriot" who was booted from the US Army in basic training: "Talk is cheap, jump out there and start your civil war, don't be surprised when you have very few followers.

Yep.

A friend recently told a self described "patriot" who was booted from the US Army in basic training: "Talk is cheap, jump out there and start your civil war, don't be surprised when you have very few followers.
We should have learned a lesson from The Civil War. Way too many men were eager for war and boy did they get their hands full.I think alot of people bit of more than they could chew.That being said, by all means let us return to the original topic of Cabelas.

Last edited:
Yep.

All those clowns who claim they're going to "fight the govt " are usually idiots like that . I tell them the same thing , you're going to be out in the woods by yourself with your bolt action rifle, being a "Patriot " in the "uprising "because all the other "Patriots" in their group will realize how colossally stupid it is, plus after 2 hours out in the cold , with no video games or their mom making them hot pockets they'll just go home

are there really people out there who think they can fight the military? them can put a missile down you chimney and up your butt before you know they are coming. its not like both sides have muskets anymore.these people must have watched RED DAWN too many times.
But on the other hand, what makes one think our military would fight its own civilians.

All the big box sporting stores all operate the same. They all want big profits selling cheap foreign made products. They all want you to believe they expound customer service when in reality they really don't give rats ass. They can operate inefficiently because of straight volume sales of the said cheap foreign manure and then manure themselves on a slow day. Kind of like the current administration.

And don't think for a minute that American troops are saints and will not fire or confine American citizens. I've talked to former spec ops guys and they believe that the younger one will obey orders blindly. You can bet your bottom dollar that the new Feds, like the ATF have had indoctrination that guns are bad. On top of that, I haven't met a guy in a militia that I trust enough to stand with.
Cabelas is not a gun shop , anymore than WalMart is . Or Dicks, Bass, etc

If they stopped profiting off guns and ammo, they'd stop selling them.

This is why I tell people, go to the independently owned gun shops......however I have some stories about those that would make people's heads spin....and that stuff drives you back to the big stores and so the cycle goes on....

But on the other hand, what makes one think our military would fight its own civilians.
Not to bash our military , but our Active Duty military, except maybe the Air Force, is falling way below recruiting goals and we are in a post war reset status. The Army and Marines aren't in any shape to "fight " the American people and honestly that's all China would be waiting for , so they can walk in and divide up our carcass because we wouldn't be able to stop them ...if a "Civil War " started we'd just be ripe for the picking

And the "alphabet agencies" , they don't have the manpower to "take our guns" and local police neither have the will nor motivation to disarm people. Many southern PDs have already said they won't enforce unconstitutional laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back