• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabela's chaps my hide.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly Ill go to out Bass Pro as they carry some tackle that I cant get locally or in time before a tournament. But Cabelas can definitely kick rocks
It’s really a shame. Going to either years ago was exciting, could spend the whole day, restaurants weren’t bad either. Gone with the wind now.

Cabelas didn’t go woke! That is a way over used term anyway mostly used to name call someone we don’t like. They got ruined by a greedy venture capitalist who then sold to BassPro who have further turned them into a sad shell of the former customer oriented business. Has very little to do with politics.

Shop mom and pop local stores if they have what you need. If not just pay the handling and shipping for online sales and let the big box stores deal with the chads and karens. It’s what I do to make me happy. May not be the same for others.
I shopped at a pa. Mom and pop shop in nov. of last year policy was one pound per vehicle per week 😒. Almost forgot to add it was priced $48 @ lb.

Well, ya should have been around for the earlier "shortages" of 20yrs ago when our loving friends and neighbors were blatantly hoarding.
Those times and latter is what has lead to the current policies of not just that one store but many,,
08, 2010, 2012, 2016,,
,, it was fair then and it is now,
You could have taken the two pounds, then gone down the street and got 3 more for more $.
And you'd be 5# ahead of the next guy that has none.
So What's the problem?
And You blame the store? And capitalism for the actual concept of sharing?
Cudos too Cabelas for turning you down on a simple greedy need, I'm glad ya paid more for more, at least Cabelas has some for less to share with somebody that might have less.

Last edited:
It's been many years since my tolerance with Cabelas ran out. I bought a cap and ball revolver there and although it was new in a sealed box the clerk had to walk it out past the front door before he would hand it to me. I said "you really don't know how these work, do you?"
He replied that it was their policy to walk every firearm sale to the door. You should have seen the look on his face when I told him that the feds don't consider them to be firearms. Years earlier at Bass Pro shop, which still carried Goes at the time, I stood in line to buy a few pounds, $19.00 per, shows you how long ago that was. But, an assistant manager approached me and asked what I needed, to which I replied Black Powder. Oh, it's right here, pointing at the aisle directly to my right. Well that's odd, it's not allowed to be openly displayed. Oh, we've had it on the shelf for years! She moved aside to show me all the smokeless powder! I told her that I'd rather not blow myself up and that smokeless in a ML is a pipe bomb. I still don't think she knows the difference.

When the Cabelas opened in my area it was a pleasure to visit. Each department had at least one or two clerks who knew the subject: fishing, firearms, reloading, etc. They enjoyed talking about matters and showing newcomers the basics. And they had some leeway to get the customer a good deal. Then Bass Pro bought them out and turned it into another Dick's Sports. Within a couple of months, the knowledgeable salesmen were gone, replaced by stockers who MIGHT be able to tell you where an item is but nothing about the item. They are nice enough but they know store procedures, not shooting or fishing.

I still go there once in a while if I know they have a specific item at a reasonable price. But the days of just wandering around in there for fun are long gone.
I agree. Same with me.

Don't have a Cabela's near me, but do have a Bass Pro. I have their credit card (for the points) and stop there once in a while to check ammo stock and pick up a few supplies. I bought a new Henry 22 there a few months back when nobody else in my region had one in stock. I take it for what it is...a big box store. Not sure what is woke about it. Still the coolest shop in the large crummy mall that it's attached to.

As to the limits on powders, primers, and formerly ammo, seems like it is a way to try and ensure more folks can get hands on the supplies they need in a time of shortages. Just my two cents.

Well, ya should have been around for the earlier "shortages" of 20yrs ago when our loving friends and neighbors were blatantly hoarding.
Those times and latter is what has lead to the current policies of not just that one store but many,,
08, 2010, 2012, 2016,,
,, it was fair then and it is now,
You could have taken the two pounds, then gone down the street and got 3 more for more $.
And you'd be 5# ahead of the next guy that has none.
So What's the problem?
And You blame the store? And capitalism for the actual concept of sharing?
Cudos too Cabelas for turning you down on a simple greedy need, I'm glad ya paid more for more, at least Cabelas has some for less to share with somebody that might have less.
I don’t it as being greedy. He only wanted three bottles not a whole case.

Last year had them put some primers up front at customer service with my name on it to pick up when I got there an hour away from me and when I asked for them she had no idea what I was asking about or who Bob was in The Rifle Dept. who was supposed to take them up front. this is the kinda stuff that they are known for idiots utter idiots. And while I was standing in line the returns people had were incredible with their Chinese sporting goods Over thirty people. I don’t know why they just don’t shut the doors for ever and call it quits…

I'm in the group that feels that they were ruined by the Bass Pro merger. Since I was in the area I stopped at a Cabela's here in Virginia. Waste of time as far as ammunition. I thought I would then check out the Gun Library. Some guys were standing outside of it and the doors were locked. Inside you could see the employees placing the firearms on the racks. It was about 10:20, and the posted sign said it was open at 10:00. After they placed all of the firearms in the racks, they literally stood in there talking with each other, knowing full there were customers (and potential buyers) waiting outside. I wandered over to another section, making my way back to the Gun Library at 10:45. It still wasn't open. Just as I was going to leave, they opened the doors. Another bit of wasted time unless you enjoy looking at over-priced and beat-up unmentionables and military surplus unmentionables.

It won't be long and they will be closing stores. Sad.

Haven't been in the store since Bass Pro bought them out and today is the last time I go in it.
Cabelas was always the better store, years ago. The selection of merchandise, the specials they ran, it was just a better experience. I used to enjoy making the two hour trip to get there several times a year. Since Bass Pro bought them out that experience has changed. I seldom make that trip as both the in store experience and the money saving specials have declined. I do have a few friends who feel the same way and would make those trips with me. Now we mostly order things from some online company and when the subject of Cabelas comes up we talk about how great it used to be.

Cabelas is a craptastic boutique store that caters to the Chads and Karens of the world. They're like "Dicks" (Sporting Goods) with an outdoorsy veneer.

Both suck and went woke. Hope they go broke.
I don’t support either. I remember when LL Bean was an outdoorsman supply depot, not a boutique, the times, as they say, are a changing…

I remember during the huge ammo shortages we had just a few years ago. The stores everywhere were rationing and limiting ammo purchases. The stores were being rationed or limited in what they got in to sell too. The scalpers were coming in with their families and friends to buy up all the ammo to resell.

One time, I was in line early waiting for the BP store to open. There were six guys ahead of me. But just before the store opened its doors suddenly there were 30 people ahead of me. Yup all relatives or friends of the guys waiting in line ahead of me. Anyway by the time it was my turn at the counter there wasn’t anything left to buy. So we were being limited in what we could get back then too.

Y'know, I get irritated with store policies... at Cabella's as well as other places. Thing is though, while nobody else has much of anything in stock right now for muzzleloaders, the local Cabella's had nearly everything I was looking for. Thing I didn't like was the prices! More than forty bucks for a pound of T-7?! Really? I am not happy. Ready for the "Great Reset", whatever that turns out to be.

Still got a horn full of T7, a pound of Pyrodex and about 2 1/2 pounds of Old Eynsford. That's enough to last until Goex goes back into production and I can order ten pounds of Old Eynsford for less money per pound than T7 seems to be going for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back