• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cabela's black powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I walked into a Cabela's last year looking for ammunition (.173-4.3mm round ball) for a Pedresoli Parlor Pistol I had purchased from THEM a couple of years earlier. I was treated like I walked in with a loaded grenade at the front desk! Mind you, this is a percussion-cap fired lead BB pistol with a removable breech (with the breech out) that fits in the palm of your hand! After being accosted by multiple employees, one guy arrived who actually remembered the little pistol. I was determined NOT to be a terrorist and allowed to proceed to the "gun desk" only to be informed that they no longer carried the ammo. I won't be going there again anytime soon!
Cheeze! Scary!

Don't waste your time on Cabelas. I tried to buy a .50 cal Bluefield long rifle or what ever its called. They kept telling me it was in stock at a store 90 miles from me. The store even told me it was in stock. So I drive 90 miles, and when I get there, no one knew anything about it. All they had at that store was a Hawken type rifle. I spent an hour and a half waiting while they tried to find the Bluefield. I finally gave up, and drove 90 miles back home.
Never again will I try to buy a gun from Cabelas.
Thing is that gun was in stock in Pennsylvania stores but they wouldn't ship one to my Wisconsin store.
This all happened late last September.
Done with Cabelas.

Dave
Apparently, best to deal with the small, family owned, suppliers.

We used to make a bit of a holiday of driving down to the nearest Cabelas (PA ) about once a year. Now the stores arent worth the trip. Very sad. Bass Pro truly gutted and ruined the finest outdoor chain that ever existed, and they are not up to the task to replace it.

Don't waste your time on Cabelas. I tried to buy a .50 cal Bluefield long rifle or what ever its called. They kept telling me it was in stock at a store 90 miles from me. The store even told me it was in stock. So I drive 90 miles, and when I get there, no one knew anything about it. All they had at that store was a Hawken type rifle. I spent an hour and a half waiting while they tried to find the Bluefield. I finally gave up, and drove 90 miles back home.
Never again will I try to buy a gun from Cabelas.
Thing is that gun was in stock in Pennsylvania stores but they wouldn't ship one to my Wisconsin store.
This all happened late last September.
Done with Cabelas.

Dave

I had an identical experience with Cabela's, only it was black powder. Or the lack thereof as the case was.

When I was getting back into BP a year or so ago I was low on 3f. I knew Cabela's used to carry it but they were in KC, 90 miles away. So I call the store, ask for a clerk in shooting and when he answered I asked. Guy said yep, probably 20 pounds of both. So I drive the 90 miles to the store, do some shopping, actually find the clerk who I talked to who takes me over to a shelf full of ramshot BP substitute for inlines and triple 7. I said this isn't BP, I'm looking for 2f and 3f, he cops an attitude and tells me I don't know what I'm talking about this is it. Things go downhill from there but suffice it to say I didn't buy the $300 worth of stuff I put in my cart before I went for BP and I haven't been back since.

We used to make a bit of a holiday of driving down to the nearest Cabelas (PA ) about once a year. Now the stores arent worth the trip. Very sad. Bass Pro truly gutted and ruined the finest outdoor chain that ever existed, and they are not up to the task to replace it.

True that!

We did the same thing at Christmas, in fact we used to drive right past the BPS in Olathe to go to Cabela's in KCK. Once they built a Scheel's in Overland Park I've all but forgotten where the BPS and Cabelas are.

I was convinced that Johnny Morris bought Cabela's for the bank until he sold it and the credit card to Capitol One. Now go into either a Cabela's or a BPS and they both look like they're circling the drain.

I went to Dixon's in Kempton. It was great place. I was able to pick up some stuff. They had a very limited supply of completed rifles. I ended up getting me PA long rifle at Cabelas. It was the last David Pedrisoli rifle in the store. Go figure....

Your exactly correct used to be a Cabela's just inside Georgia line Bass Pro got it promised people working and public it would remain open because it was more hunting and firearm focused they lied of course Bass Pro is fishing and clothing store. Thankfully Sportsman's Warehouse backed out of suicide deal with them and maybe someday they can get some inventory back

Ever since the Dollar General of the sporting goods world got involved in the hostile take over of Cabela's , things have went to pot.
Had to laugh when we were in what was the great mother store in Sidney not long after the take over. In the main isle there were tables full of t shirts and jackets etc, Bass Pro and Cabela's labeled. The Cabela's piles were pretty well ransacked and down to the tiny or a very few of the fat boy sizes, and the Bass Pro looked to be untouched. That should of told them something right there.

Back