• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cabelas/ Bass Pro?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything I ever bought at BP or Cabella’s was defective and had to be returned.
That is most strange and, at best, an anomaly. Businesses do not need or want returns or unhappy customers. The rumors about certain stores selling only seconds or defective items is just nonsense. That rumor has long been passed around about Walmart. Stop and think, there would have to be hundreds of large factories producing nothing but 'seconds' to stock the thousands of WM stores. I have owned retail stores, including a franchise for a very large company. We always seemed to have a few customers who were never satisfied and returned everything. It goes with the territory.

Interesting comments. People in Eastern Pa. who liked going up to Dixon's black powder shop in Kempton, Pa., used to automatically drive a few miles west on Rt. 22 to the big Cabela's there; not to mention the Cigars Int'l., but that's another thread! Anyway, when I went to Dixon's and the Gunmaker's Fair up the road, I never considered for a moment going to Cabela's, thanks to helpful comments from guys like yourself who give us a true picture of what's there. Thanks again. :)
I have been to both Cabela's and Dixon's. Cabela's was not too bad then, 80"s but has gone down hill considerably in my opinion, since then. The products are not as nice(clothing) they tend to carry more n more of the Bass Pro bullsheetz, and many areas no longer have a "gun room", or a used section. I have been to Cabela's in Pa., Az and Ga. All are not what they used to be, and over priced on many items (IMHO)

I’m beginning to think the same thing. My 58 Remington bought at Bass Pro had nothing wrong. The Uberti Dragoon bought from Midway had stupid problems. The Pietta 1860 Army from Midway needed the action de burred, The 51 Pietta Navy bought from Midway has been ok with no problems so I wonder if in fact if Midway is getting a discount on "scratch and dent” deals? Is it hit or miss, the luck of the draw, poor manufacture quality control? 🤔
it would be silly and more expensive to have a bunch of depts in the factory producing different quality guns for different buyers. that would cost way more then just making them all the same

That is most strange and, at best, an anomaly. Businesses do not need or want returns or unhappy customers. The rumors about certain stores selling only seconds or defective items is just nonsense. That rumor has long been passed around about Walmart. Stop and think, there would have to be hundreds of large factories producing nothing but 'seconds' to stock the thousands of WM stores. I have owned retail stores, including a franchise for a very large company. We always seemed to have a few customers who were never satisfied and returned everything. It goes with the territory.
you are 100% right. there are many male Karens who are never happy and return everything. I got a 5" barrel Rem new army from cabelas and it is one of the best finished and fitted I ever handled. cocking is a smooth as silk

As far as I know, they have not infiltrated the gun industry YET.
They are taking over ownership of recognized name Italian leather goods like shoes, coats, purses, and other mid to upscale clothing.
The cottage industry-level makers have been taking a big financial hit because of workers being brought into the country and worked at slave wages.
The new omers work and live in a sort of closed society that is tightly controlled by “ enforcers “.
The Italian police are somewhat baffled by a lot of this.
Even though many of the Chinese workers are getting up in years, and occasionally have serious health problems, Italian authorities never find a dead body in a home, shop, or elsewhere. Coroner’s reports are non-existent. One might assume that sick, injured, or the deceased are being sent back to China, but there is little to no evidence of that happening either.
I stumbled across this information about a year ago in a couple of trade journals. One article was mostly about the takeover of such a large part of fine clothing manufacturing, and the other discussed that and other mysterious voings on from a law-enforcement perspective.
Sorry I cannot name my sources. It was almost a year ago and I don’t remember now.
The Italians better start worrying about all the africans there raping looting selling drugs. Chinese aint doing that and the Chinese would never stand by and allow them to destroy the society

you are 100% right. there are many male Karens who are never happy and return everything. I got a 5" barrel Rem new army from cabelas and it is one of the best finished and fitted I ever handled. cocking is a smooth as silk
You are 100% correct. There are some people who just like to whine and complain. There is a "mark" on my firearm, a small scratch, a dink? Really? As if that will not happen to anyone who actually uses the firearm? It is even worse with used firearms. These same people expect to get "new" firearms instead of a used one! They are never satisfied with anything.(IMHO). I have bought many firearms from Cabela's, both new & used, over the years and they have all been fine!

I believe the Chinese prefer to be buried back in China.

But wouldn’t the death have to be reported and recorded in Italy?
If you or I died in Italy there would almost certainly all kinds of paperwork filled out and filed.
I believe a death certificate and other reports would be required for air transport of a dead body. Even on a Chinese airline.

But wouldn’t the death have to be reported and recorded in Italy?
If you or I died in Italy there would almost certainly all kinds of paperwork filled out and filed.
I believe a death certificate and other reports would be required for air transport of a dead body. Even on a Chinese airline.
Been to a chinese resturant latley, 😉

I have been to both Cabela's and Dixon's. Cabela's was not too bad then, 80"s but has gone down hill considerably in my opinion, since then. The products are not as nice(clothing) they tend to carry more n more of the Bass Pro bullsheetz, and many areas no longer have a "gun room", or a used section. I have been to Cabela's in Pa., Az and Ga. All are not what they used to be, and over priced on many items (IMHO)
Same here. I have a Cabelas 17 miles from me and one that is 20 miles away and another that is 75 miles away. The big used gun section in the one closest to me is gone. Don't know about the other two but would guess the same there.

You are 100% correct. There are some people who just like to whine and complain. There is a "mark" on my firearm, a small scratch, a dink? Really? As if that will not happen to anyone who actually uses the firearm? It is even worse with used firearms. These same people expect to get "new" firearms instead of a used one! They are never satisfied with anything.(IMHO). I have bought many firearms from Cabela's, both new & used, over the years and they have all been fine!
Uh, just my opinion, but on a new firearm, I don’t expect it to have scratches or dings unless it is a discounted demo/display model. If I’m paying a new price, I want a new unblemished item. Then it us mine to either take care if or beat up. That’s not whining. That is what most folks expect, rightly so. I wouldn’t pay MSRP on a new truck with dents or scratches even if it works as well as a unblemished truck.

I’m beginning to think the same thing. My 58 Remington bought at Bass Pro had nothing wrong. The Uberti Dragoon bought from Midway had stupid problems. The Pietta 1860 Army from Midway needed the action de burred, The 51 Pietta Navy bought from Midway has been ok with no problems so I wonder if in fact if Midway is getting a discount on "scratch and dent” deals? Is it hit or miss, the luck of the draw, poor manufacture quality control? 🤔
I just purchased an 1861 Navy Pietta from Cabellas I did not check it over as I should have. When I got home (150 miles later) I could not release the ram rod. After a lot of work and a small pry bar I got it to release. The rod was too long and binding on the stop on the barrel. After some filing I was able to shorten the rod to the correct length. Works fine now but definitely missed the factory quality control check

BassPro in Savannah, Ga., a search of CCI percussion caps won’t even allow you order shipped to the store. I’ve emailed customer help, awaiting response. Not a Walmart in this part of the country is carrying caps, and Walmart will not ship the product to area stores.

Same here. I have a Cabelas 17 miles from me and one that is 20 miles away and another that is 75 miles away. The big used gun section in the one closest to me is gone. Don't know about the other two but would guess the same there.
I am thinking that fewer people were trading in their guns. We had the pandemic messing up things, supply shortages, prices going up, the looming recession (depression?) that could hit soon. So they likely consolidated the used guns to fewer stores. My nearby Bass Pro and Cabelas both still have used guns. For sale. I tend to peruse the used sections when I go visit. You never know what you might find there.

Uh, just my opinion, but on a new firearm, I don’t expect it to have scratches or dings unless it is a discounted demo/display model. If I’m paying a new price, I want a new unblemished item. Then it us mine to either take care if or beat up. That’s not whining. That is what most folks expect, rightly so. I wouldn’t pay MSRP on a new truck with dents or scratches even if it works as well as a unblemished truck.
we are not taking about dents and scratches, I have seen people complain about what they think is a mark, from the firearm laying in the box, shipped fresh from the factory. It is like the guy who thinks you should pull twelve of the same rifle out to check the wood, Wrong. What about everyone else? Oh, they don't matter! They just like to complain.

Well, the last time I visited the Cabelas nearest me. Nothing really in the black powder section, very little in the unmentionables reloading section, and the unmentionables ammo shelves had very little in stock, probably 10% of what was available pre-pandemic. Guns on the shelf, probably 50% or less as well. Not really worth spending the time to drive over and walk in.

Well, the last time I visited the Cabelas nearest me. Nothing really in the black powder section, very little in the unmentionables reloading section, and the unmentionables ammo shelves had very little in stock, probably 10% of what was available pre-pandemic. Guns on the shelf, probably 50% or less as well. Not really worth spending the time to drive over and walk in.
I go to one in Augusta, GA. They are getting more stock in for reloading but it is hit and miss on primers & powder. The factory ammo selection is not too bad. Firearms are slim, with the usual suspects, some Rugers, maybe a Browning, Winchester, Savage etc. Black powder arms are non existent. They used to carry several pistols, not any more! Lots of modern autos! One thing I have noticed that has not changed, is that they are expensive on everything!(IMHO)

You have a right to examine the gun, or any item one is buying, prior to taking home. Once you receive it, it is yours. When I had my gun shop, a gun brought back with minor marks after leaving the store would not be accepted for return. Seller has no control as to what might happen to the gun after it is out the door. Buyer has a right to examine before accepting and can take or reject while still in the store. Of course, major faults under warranty would be addressed.

Back