• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe the people of Sydney should not have put all their eggs in one basket. And how could the greedy so and so from NYC pull this off unless the greedy so and so’s from Cabela’s office didnt have the company up for sale?
First of all, they didn’t, Cabela’s began there as a little store and grew into what it was. Secondly, any publicly traded company is for sale if you can buy up enough shares.

If you’ve ever been to Sydney, NE, you’d quickly realize there just aren’t many baskets for your eggs. WRT the hostile takeover, we’ll, that’s what it was.
I been to that Cabella's!
I had to deliver eight large gun safes that were being returned by 3 or 4 of their stores.
I do not know why they were being returned. I was just the truck driver.
After unloading at the warehouse dock, I was able to go inside the store for a little bit.
Nothing like the Bass Pro Shops "World Headquarters" store in Springfield, MO, but I thought it was very nice. :)
Unfortunately, I was between paydays, so could not buy anything. I had enough for some eats at the truck stops, a few soda and coffee refills, and that was about it.
My soda and coffee mugs was tiny; Only 60 ounce each. 3 or 4 refills (in 4 mugs) in a 10 hour work day was not unusual.
Caffeine is a vitamin necessary for life, you know. :)
I got my nicotine vitamin (also necessary for life) from Skoal and vaping.

Here in North East Tennessee we have a Bass Pro in Bristol and just over the border we had a Cabelas in Virginia. Now that they have merged the Cabelas is closing. Not sure if it has to do with the new proposed anti-gun manure going on in VA or just a business decision due to the 2 stores being very close to each other. I wonder if Bass pro will start having a used gun section like Cabelas had or if they will do away with that.

For now, we have both a Bass Pro & a Cabellas in the Richmond, VA area. I have always preferred Cabellas & luckily it is closer to me. I often swing thru while the wife is getting groceries & check the "gun library". Rarely do the have anything of interest & they don't even carry 3 of the 4 cartridge ammos that I still shoot. If anyone is coming to the area, Greentop Sporting Goods is better than either Cabellas or BP for shooting gear. Bob Moates is a small shop that has the best selection of sidelocks in the area as they somewhat cater to ACW folks.

Another aspect of the Cabela's story is that, at least in some areas, they were allowed by states to charge sales tax, but keep that money to get them to come to the area and they made more profit from that than they did from the sales of merchandise. Needless to say, small private shops would never get such treatment.

One of the big money makers for Cabelas was their credit card business. It was a real money maker for the company. I'm not sure if it went with the merger or was sold off separately.

It's still part of Cabela's but is MC instead of Visa. Nothing else about it changed though I'm finding it very difficult to find anything they have to spend my Cabela's Bucks on.

I just found out about this yesterday, only after talking to more than one supervisor at Cabelas customer no-service...about wanting to order a Pedersoli .54 firelock. Their losing “Galliher vs. Cabelas”, only went into effect just over a month ago! These morons need to pass the word to their employees, as well as post notice on their website, concerning the sale of every single BP shooter they still have in stock! IF you still choose to go the way of having it sent to the nearest store (one of each Cabelas and bASS Pro...in the entire state of Alaska), you can only order it by phone...not online. Then you must allow 15-18 business days for it to arrive in the chosen store and pickup in person, but not before then filling out their attorney written corporate 4473 wannabe (questionnaire /registration /application) prior to sale!! Needless to say THIS ole rocklock smokepole affectionado told them to “stick it way up high, where the sun NEVER shines!! I’ve spent my last dime with Cabelas and now bASS Pro...after dropping countless thousands there in the last four decades! I would have thought ole Johnny Morris’s billions could've bought better hired gun attorneys!

BTW...I ordered that same Italian rocklock from Dixie late yesterday, and it shipped to my PO Box here in Alaska today!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up in Gering Nebraska...not very far from where Cabellas was located, but never visited there until years later when travelling through the area. I was experimenting with an older caliber rifle at the time and figured I'd stop in a get some bullets for it....they didn't have any...or really a good selection of reloading components. Actually a local shop near me down here in Texas has a better stock of bullets to reload then any Cabellas store I've been in !

I just found out about this yesterday, only after talking to more than one supervisor at Cabelas customer no-service...about wanting to order a Pedersoli .54 firelock. Their losing “Galliher vs. Cabelas”, only went into effect just over a month ago! These morons need to pass the word to their employees, as well as post notice on their website, concerning the sale of every single BP shooter they still have in stock! IF you still choose to go the way of having it sent to the nearest store (one of each Cabelas and bASS Pro...in the entire state of Alaska), you can only order it by phone...not online. Then you must allow 15-18 business days for it to arrive in the chosen store and pickup in person, but not before then filling out their attorney written corporate 4473 wannabe (questionnaire /registration /application) prior to sale!! Needless to say THIS ole rocklock smokepole affectionado told them to “stick it way up high, where the sun NEVER shines!! I’ve spent my last dime with Cabelas and now bASS Pro...after dropping countless thousands there in the last four decades! I would have thought ole Johnny Morris’s billions could've bought better hired gun attorneys!

BTW...I ordered that same Italian rocklock from Dixie late yesterday, and it shipped to my PO Box here in Alaska today!!!

They now have no layaway on guns. No warranty on used guns. Trigger locks on all guns. They can’t take them off so you can check the action or see how a handgun feels for you. Great marketing ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've bought many modern guns the last 3-4 years from Bass Pro, and it did get to be a pain when you couldn't check the action because of a trigger lock. But the most irritating is ordering a firearm and having it shipped to the central warehouse in Missouri first, then a week or so later, they finally ship it to the local store where we bought it.
They're friendly, but customer service is not so good.

Cabelas has gone way down hill since the merger with bass pro the hunting clothes quality is no where as good as it used to be and their gun prices are higher than a kite
It not a good place to shop like it used to be

I was fond of them because of their 1911 A1 in stock guns.
All of their clothes are off shore now. Even Levis are made overseas now..........
And ammo pricing is only if you need an emergency box or so. On line ammo is cheaper and ships faster.
I hear ya!

As far as I am concerned, you can leave the "B" off of Bass Pro. That is who ruined Cabela's. My dollars now go to Sportsman's Warehouse, Scheel's, etc.
As far as I am concerned, you can leave the "B" off of Bass Pro. That is who ruined Cabela's. My dollars now go to Sportsman's Warehouse, Scheel's, etc.
Actually it was a guy named Paul Singer who ruined Cabela's. There is a YouTube video about it

Maybe this has something to do with it?
Brady sues Cabela's over sale of black powder gun to felon later used in murder - Guns.com Brady sues Cabela's over sale of black powder gun to felon later used in murder
I think both sides are genuine in their posture and have been discussed in a respectful manner. Keep an open mind that we may see through both sides of their propaganda. Weve been plotted on for a long time. Two sides of the same actors guild. Respectfully Lloyd

I was in our local bASS pro in Rossford Oh. There muzzle loading section was about ten foot long of shelving. Had a $100.00 gift certificate from X-Mas, I walked out of there empty handed. I can remember before there merger that b-pro had a 2-3 dollar make up on a pound of smokeless powder. Now, I realize they have a building to pay for and what ever other expense’s. Wages, property taxes, utilities etc. etc. Just seems these stores anymore are just full of Chinese manure! OK I’m DONE and know I don’t feel any better...

Cabelas was first bought out buy an avoricious New York business rapist who wrung every thing he could out of the company and then sold, for a profit of course, to BP. BP isn't running Cabelas into the ground, it was run into the ground buy a greedy bastard.

Why is profanity needed here on a family forum??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Time to stop profanity.

Back