• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cabelas 58cal perc hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do a search of Idahoron. He's done some amazing long shots on game with MLs.

One must change out the open sights for peep sights, the Lyman 57 GPR sights are good. Also go with heavy paper patched bullets for long distance. Patched ball is good up to 200 yards, but use weighed charges of FFG and use the felt wads between powder and bullet.

I haven't purchased the rifle. I sold a couple of extra items I had that I didn't need and have acquired all the parts to build from a blank.

While this gun would be great to have, especially from the point of view of it being a somewhat collectable rifle, I realized I just really want to build one.

A gentleman had messaged me right after I posted this thread calling dibs on it if I don't purchase it. Seeing as I have a bunch of parts and $0 left in my pocket, I should let him know!

lol how much weight could 1/32 on each flat add up to? weight does matter for recoil but to me that difference would not do much
Surprised you consider .89 pounds insignificant, the weight difference between a 15/16” vs 1” octagon barrel 30” long. I know I find nearly a pound difference significant in the felt recoil with a gun. Are physics that different wherever you are when compared to North Carolina?
I do not believe your stats. if you cant take recoil without an extra .89 of a lb why do you want to shoot max loads in a .58. wouldnt a .32 squirrel rifle be better for you? with my ultra light .58 rifle with only a fragile 15/16 barrel has in its patch box around 4- .58 cal balls in it. so I figure I will not break my shoulder when I fire it
Apologize for my stats that you do not agree with. I will try and do better, but need some guidance. Curious as to what your ‘stats’ are for the weight difference are between a 15/16” and 1” barrel are? I used the volume difference and the weight value for steel of .2836lbs per cubic inch. My mistake. Please advise as to the correct values/stats I should be using.

Not sure about the rest of your mini rant. It appears you are saying four 58 caliber lead balls (for calculations I’ll call them .562” diameter weighing 276 grams each or .16lbs per four) have a larger impact on recoil than .89 pounds of barrel weight. Is that correct?

Last edited:
Apologize for my stats that you do not agree with. I will try and do better, but need some guidance. Curious as to what your ‘stats’ are for the weight difference are between a 15/16” and 1” barrel are? I used the volume difference and the weight value for steel of .2836lbs per cubic inch. My mistake. Please advise as to the correct values/stats I should be using.

Not sure about the rest of your mini rant. It appears you are saying four 58 caliber lead balls (for calculations I’ll call them .562” diameter weighing 276 grams each or .16lbs per four) have a larger impact on recoil than .89 pounds of barrel weight. Is that correct?
again if you were worried about .89 lb making a difference in recoil why shoot a .58 with max charges? why not order a barrel with 1 1/2 across the flats? here is a stat might be worth looking at...they found 67.9% of people so concerned with reducing recoil by .0062 % with the addition of .89 lb have taken up knitting and are much happier

Back