• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabela's 54 cal Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaCop

40 Cal.
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've shot my ML rifles. I was wondering if anyone can shed light on the ML listed in the title. The rifle is Italian made and has wonderfully done checkering on the wrist and forearm. Stock is light colored walnut and sports a rubber recoil pad. All metal is blued or anodized satin black. It's been a great shooter with patch and ball out to 65 yards. So far, all I used in it is Pyrodex and Triple Seven.

Tom

Most were made by Investarms, the same as Lyman. Some of the Cabelas models had a different rate of twist than the Lyman sister rifle. Also, Cabelas "sporterized" some of them which included checkering, recoil pads, D/T for scope bases and sling swivels. Its a good, solid rifle. I guess yours is percussion since you're using Pyrodex and Triple 7 and posting in this section.

I own a couple of Cabela's rifles, both made by Investarms. One "Hawken" with a 1:48 twist an the Sporterized Hawken carbine with a 1:24 twist. Both in 54 cal. The Hawken is my primary hunting rifle. I like it so much I sold all my breech loadering rifles years ago and have never looked back.

Post some pictures of this rifle!

B3CFC2D9-0EA0-4C8A-ADDB-EA6FB8833445.jpeg 8F3AFFB8-C13F-4CDF-9725-11CF1593E368.jpeg 69DDE633-0699-407D-A267-6004502732D5.jpeg B0F86307-ED64-4173-8D0D-A9E4ED0842B4.jpeg 9DB3F3D8-F02C-4D5A-98F1-076B000905D7.jpeg 0E535975-4E80-42DC-8D1C-E6946E5B8870.jpeg I have a Cabela’s Investarm in .50. It’s a Left hand due to the fact that I’m a southpaw. Has a 1:48 twist.

This muzzleloader has a very special place in my heart! Wasn’t my very first muzzleloader but was the first that I actually shot!! Got rid of my first which was a kit I butchered prior to going into the service. lol

Anyway, went back home to Wyoming to see the folks and stopped at a Cabela’s in Kearny Nebraska. Bought this rifle there.

I cut my teeth on this muzzleloader. It actually started me down the journey and BP bug that we’re all inflicted with! lol

Shot countless balls through her but never abused her either! I’ve retired her long ago. Refinished the stock and now has a place of honor on one of my walls.

I have long since moved on to bigger and better things along my journey, but this muzzleloader I named Kearny will always have a special place in my heart that no other muzzleloader could replace.

Oh by the Way, Excellent built gun and is extremely accurate as long as you do your part!

Respectfully, Cowboy

They seem to be good solidly built rifles. I picked up one in .58 some time back, and it does everything I would expect from a muzzleloader.

Thanks for the information guys. Cowboy, that looks a lot like my rifle except for the brass trimmings and patch box. I enjoy shooting mine as much as I do my 1863 Zouave 58 cal.

I have a southpaw rifle like Cowboy's. It's basically the same as a Lyman Trade Rifle with the addition of double set triggers and a cap box. It is a reliable, well made rifle that shoots round balls well due to deep rifling.

I do not care for the factory sights and would have preferred that it was built with a dovetailed primitive rear. My screwed-on rear sight had some lateral play. I remedied the situation with a Lyman 57SML peep rear sight and a 37ML front sight. (I was unable to find a replacement for the factory rear sight.)

Cabelas_Hawken.jpg

I want to take it hunting sometime so I wanted a sling. I got a Grove-Tec sling swivel set from Midway in which one clamps to the lower ramrod pipe and the other is conventionally screwed into the stock.

Have 2 .54 and two .58. All 4 chrome lined and clean with 5 patches on average. NICE rifles. Mine "sporterized" with no patch box, black hardware, slings etc. Rear sites do leave something to be desired. I'm thinking all are 1-48 twist

Pretty much all iron sights are hard on my 72 years old eyes. My distance vision is still very good just can't see close up. I can't shoot with my bi-focals so I don't wear my glasses when burning powder. I consider myself lucky that I can shoot just under 3 inches at 65 yards with patched ball.

I have a Cabela’s Investarm in .50. It’s a Left hand due to the fact that I’m a southpaw. Has a 1:48 twist.

This muzzleloader has a very special place in my heart! Wasn’t my very first muzzleloader but was the first that I actually shot!! Got rid of my first which was a kit I butchered prior to going into the service. lol

Anyway, went back home to Wyoming to see the folks and stopped at a Cabela’s in Kearny Nebraska. Bought this rifle there.

I cut my teeth on this muzzleloader. It actually started me down the journey and BP bug that we’re all inflicted with! lol

Shot countless balls through her but never abused her either! I’ve retired her long ago. Refinished the stock and now has a place of honor on one of my walls.

I have long since moved on to bigger and better things along my journey, but this muzzleloader I named Kearny will always have a special place in my heart that no other muzzleloader could replace.

Oh by the Way, Excellent built gun and is extremely accurate as long as you do your part!

Respectfully, Cowboy
Great looking rifle, Cowboy!
Did you name her after the city, Kearney, NE or the nearby Fort Kearny? I grew up 15 miles from that Cabela's.

I named her after Kearney Nebraska. Guess I misspelled the town. The wife and I did tour Ft. Kearny when we were there though. Pretty neat!

Respectfully, Cowboy
I never understood why the town was spelled with a "e" or why Kearney (the city) is in Buffalo County while the county over (where I'm from) is Kearney County. It's a weird deal...

Mine is also a Cabalas invest Arms. I shoot sabots in it due to the 1:24 twist. Was always a good shooter With iron sights but went out and got the Lestherman 3X scope. Now she’s even more so.

Attachments

• 1C440F10-4553-4851-8673-B125459EEF8C.jpeg
    1C440F10-4553-4851-8673-B125459EEF8C.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 188
assembled an Investarm .54 flint hawken about 35 years ago It's been my meat getter ever since... added a sling for convenience when hunting an "fire sights" a few years ago for my old age eyesight... round balls 75 grs of preferably Swiss 3f and "voila"

I've got a Cabelas/Investarms .50 cal percussion "Hawken" a few years ago from a Forum member, along with some quality accessories. It's by far the "prettiest" of all my half-stock rifles, and accurate beyond my expectations.
It doesn't get the shootin' as often as it deserves, since I shoot primarily .54 cal flinters.
I also got a "junk" .54 cal Hawken 'Sporter' in percussion from an old goober who fancied himself a black powder authority. He wanted $300 for it & I had seen it at several shows, always unloved & unsold. It has the checkered stock & rubber buttplate that may or may not be original. It has some pitting around the breech/snail drum & the too-short nipple was made for a revolver.

About 1 inch down from the muzzle is a big honking pit and the muzzle face is in the white - either from the barrel being cut off, or it may be a stainless barrel.

I told Mr. Expert that Cabelas sold these for around $200 brand new & that the pitting in barrel & breech indicate neglect or abuse, plus the barrel pit made it nearly worthless.

I told him I'd give him $100 cash, and plunked down 5 - $20's and told him that was generous, since the abused/worn wood will need lengthy stripping and refinishing (which I do a lot of). Otherwise, he could drag it back to his truck, then drag it out to a table at the next show for everyone to ignore. The handful of $20's disappeared into his pocked and he feigned insult over the price.

I considered coning the muzzle area to remove the pitted area, but took it out to shoot first. It's able to hit a grapefruit (small, home-grown) at 100 yards 100%, and that's good enough for me.

Steaming out some dents, and some 3M pad rubdown prepped it for a refinish with my BLO/Tung Oil mix & it looks better than new.

Hey AZbpburner: Got a couple of 50 s and looking to try a .54. I'll find one soon.
Just remember when you go to the dance - sometimes the plain one is the best dancer!

I bought a 50 Investarms new 30 some years ago, gave around 200 for it. 70 gr pyro rs an a 490 rb, I could smash red fire bricks at a hundred yards for hours.has a chrome lined barrel so clean saw a breeze. Still a great looking rifle.

Latest posts

Back