• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cabbage cake

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I saw a recipe for cabbage cakes on you tube. A hard of cabbage shredded, cup of flour, two eggs salt and pepper. Fry like a pan cake or potato cake.
Sounded tasteless.
So I thumped it.
My wife doesn’t like cabbage so I made it just for me.
Sautés one small onion, four thick bacon slices cut in to small pieces and a couple of ounces sliced mushrooms.
Took half a cabbage head sliced and chopped, half a cup of almond flour( watching my carbs) and added the sauté to it. Added the eggs beat up and mixed well. Made patties and fried. Was much impressed.

Sounds interesting, like a cabbage frittata or cabbage omelette or cabbage pancake or Okonomiyaki.

Guess I'll have to thumb through my old cookbooks and see what I can find.

So far, I'm coming up empty, and I've gone through a half dozen books.
In the mean time, this post needs a picture, so here is one of some cabbages.

marketst.jpg

Market Woman with Vegetable Stall, by Peiter Aertsen

Can’t recall the name of the Roman Emperor, forth century I’m thinking, He gave up the throne and retired to Capua. He wrote a letter talking about how simple his life was... ‘but you should see my cabbages’ he wrote.

He wrote a letter talking about how simple his life was... ‘but you should see my cabbages’ he wrote.

The pleasures of gardening.

Oh, and the Roman was Gaius Aurelius Valerius Diocletianus Augustus, Or just Diocles for short. :D

Last edited:
Saw the thing about cabbage cake and wondered is it was truly a cake recipe. When in North Dakota, we had sauerkraut cake, a moist Chocolate cake that had a small bit of well rinsed chopped sauerkraut in it. (couldn't taste it) as for the cabbage cake referenced by the OP, anything like Bubble and Squeak?

we had sauerkraut cake, a moist Chocolate cake that had a small bit of well rinsed chopped sauerkraut in it.
I think I saw a recipe for sauerkraut cake.
Now you got me thinking about rhubarb cake, that stuff is to die for. Don't get between me and the rhubarb cake. :D

Those colcannon cakes sound good, I might have to try those.

Colcannon that I’ve had had taters mixed in, Karakee Tearney recorded a recipe with turnips.
Bad Scotsman am I, as I’ve not ate it this century I’m thinking. Last time I recall eating it was a Christmas party in ‘95.

OH yes please...,
It's one of the comfort foods that I like that is actually pretty good for me too...it's the cabbage, don't you know....;)

LD

This one's for you, Check out that nice hearth. She needs some period knives
though, otherwise a nice setup.

This recipe is not for cabbage cake but similar to recipe posted above by carbon6 for cabbage and onions.
My wife's makes a family fried cabbage recipe which is really good.
Grate/ shred cabbage into pan with salt/pepper and butter. Very easy and delicious. Fry cabbage in butter, guess you could fry in olive oil and finish with butter until cabbage is done. I like it browned in pan. Cast iron pan is best, IMO. It's always made for holiday meals. Sweet onions added would be very good as well. I would Julianne the onions for similar shape of shredded / grated cabbage.
Try it! You'll like it!!

I cook fried cabbage a lot.

One ring smoked sausage cut in 1/4" coins, browned on both sides in large frying pan.. Remove from pan and set aside. Slice one head cabbage 1/8" slices, one large onion diced,1/2 cup carrot graded. Put in pan sausage was cooked in. Covered cook covered on medium heat till most of cabbage is tender. uncover turn up heat put sausage back in pan cook till water is cooked out. Add 2 Tbs cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Cook till cabbage is starting to brown. Serve on plate with more vinegar. 5 STAR. Good Eats!!!

Colcannon that I’ve had had taters mixed in, Karakee Tearney recorded a recipe with turnips.
Bad Scotsman am I, as I’ve not ate it this century I’m thinking. Last time I recall eating it was a Christmas party in ‘95.
Just because you don't eat dirt and ants and filth doesn't mean you're a bad Scotsman. Not to cast aspersions on Karalee, it's just the turnips, LOL!

Last edited:
Back