• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cabbage cake

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Italian side of the family would shred a head of Savoy cabbage and fry it up in olive oil and garlic until wilted. Add a can of crushed tomatoes, a can of cannillini beans, some crushed red pepper flakes and grab a hunk of crusty Italian bread.
We did similar. Take away the beans slice and brown Italian sausage mix it in to everything else you did spread it in a baking dish and bake until the sausage pieces are cooked through and a slight crust starts to form on top.

I cook fried cabbage a lot.

One ring smoked sausage cut in 1/4" coins, browned on both sides in large frying pan.. Remove from pan and set aside. Slice one head cabbage 1/8" slices, one large onion diced,1/2 cup carrot graded. Put in pan sausage was cooked in. Covered cook covered on medium heat till most of cabbage is tender. uncover turn up heat put sausage back in pan cook till water is cooked out. Add 2 Tbs cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Cook till cabbage is starting to brown. Serve on plate with more vinegar. 5 STAR. Good Eats!!!

Yep, your right good recipe....my wife fixed it a few days ago..........gonna have it again tomorrow!....dang! Lol

Thx for sharing!

I saw a recipe for cabbage cakes on you tube. A hard of cabbage shredded, cup of flour, two eggs salt and pepper. Fry like a pan cake or potato cake.
Sounded tasteless.
So I thumped it.
My wife doesn’t like cabbage so I made it just for me.
Sautés one small onion, four thick bacon slices cut in to small pieces and a couple of ounces sliced mushrooms.
Took half a cabbage head sliced and chopped, half a cup of almond flour( watching my carbs) and added the sauté to it. Added the eggs beat up and mixed well. Made patties and fried. Was much impressed.

My wife made a similar dish only with grated cauliflower (which is technically cabbage as well) and almond flour. Came out very well. She has been cooking "****" dishes for herself. Sometimes they are tasty to me, sometimes I fry up a couple of pork chops or grill a steak instead.:)

The cauliflower cakes were very good though and she had to make more. Almond flour seems to work in some things as a wheat flower substitute, not so much in others.

Here is a civil War recipe.

MEMPHIS DAILY APPEAL [GRANADA, MS], July 11, 1862, p. 1, c. 4 Cabbage Salad.--Chop enough cabbage fine to fill a vegetable dish. Heat a coffee cup of strong vinegar, with a lump of butter in it the size of a small egg. Pepper and salt. When hot, beat an egg very light and stir in; then pour all on to the chopped cabbage.

Back