• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

C. H. Johnston Great Western Gun Works

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up litterly in pieces a .345 (by slugging) percussion rifle with the barrel marked on right side from left to right "C.H. Johnston Great Western Gun Works, Pittsburg, PA and the lock lightly engraved with 2 turkeys Jas Glocher warrented. It has a 30 inch octogon barrel with deep square bottomed rifling. Any historical and/or approximate value in fair condition will be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Selvinman,

That is probably J.H.Johnston. Great Western Gun Works is listed in J.F. Diffenbacher's Directory of Pittsburgh and Allegheny Cities for 1886. There is also a listing in another directory for 1864.

Without someone looking at it, it would be hard to put a value on it. I have one of his guns in shooting condition that I bought quite a while ago and I paid just a little over $500.00 for it if that helps. This gun has hardly any wear and tear; a picture or two would help to determine the condition of your gun. The fact that it's marked with the makers name is significant.

The lock that you describe is typical.

Hope this helps a little.

Dryball

The book AMERICAN GUN MAKERS by L.D.Satterlee and Major Arcadi Gluckman, Otto Ulbrich Co. Inc., Buffalo N.Y. 1945 says on page 81,
"JOHNSTON, James H.--Owner and operator of the Great Western Gun Works at Pittsburgh, Pa. Son of John H Johnston. Born 1836; died about 1916. Learned the gunsmith trade under J. Senseny of Chambersburg, Pa.

also,

JOHNSTON, John H.--Waynesboro, Pa. Born 1811; died 1889.

On page 59 the book says,
"GREAT WESTERN GUN WORKS--Pittsburgh, Pa., 1866-1916. Operated by J.J. Johnston. 5 shot rim-fire cartridge revolvers.

Thanks to all who have replied. :bow: The first letter could well be a J mostly gone other lettering nice and legible. This piece has set triggers brass buttplate patchbox triggerguard, toeplate and half stock nose piece and bottom thimble. it has one steel thimble on the rib but is missing the top thimble. Mechanically seems to be in working order. has piece missing from stock over the lock about 1/4 by 2 inches also old square nail repair to splinter directly below missing piece. The sights are present and appear to be original to the rifle. It was apart and missing most of the small screws from patch box and toe plate. I replaced these it did have original buttplate screws and lock screw. It was also missing ramrod which I made one. It displays nicely and I do think it is firable. I just haven't decided if I want to :confused: or keep as a display piece. :)

Gun Digest reproduced one of his catalogues from the 1880's in their Annual some 25 to 30 yrs ago. They offered caplocks plain to fancy fro about $8.00 or so up to over $30.00 Lots of surplus and fancy and very plain shotguns listed also.

To those interested, the new 9th edition of FLAYDERMAN'S GUIDE TO ANTIQUE AMERICAN FIREARMS...and their values" has just been released.
This book is renowned for not only the many guns it shows but the historic information it contains.

On page 747 it says:
"GREAT WESTERN GUN WORKS. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Circa 1860s-1916. Makers, distributors, and importers of inexpensive lines of shotguns of all types. Their company motto aptly describes their products..."cheap guns for the people."

Please don't take this to be a criticism of this caplock rifle as I don't intend that.
To me, all old muzzleloading rifles that are still in operating condition are worthwhile.
I did have to chuckle a bit about the motto though. :grin:

In those days perhaps the word "cheap" was synonymous with "inexpensive", now days the word "cheap" is often associated with poor quality.

VERY GOOD POINT MADE "oldwolf"and something we should always keep in mind. :bow: Fred :hatsoff:

Zonie, I too had to chuckle at the GWGW motto: "cheap guns for the people". I own one of their guns and it is indeed plain! Just the bare essentials in order to make it go Boom. It does have the typical oval cap/patch box but that's about it.(the inside of it smells from beeswax)

Two interesting features though: the end of the octagon barrel is turned round as if for a false muzzle; and the trigger guard is attached with small steel wood screws instead of pins. You can see where the "ears" for the pins were ground off on the underside of the trigger guard. And there are no holes in the stock where pins would be.

The gun is just as well made as fancier guns that I own but without any fancy carving or inlays. Maybe that's where the "cheap" comes from; the additional work to pretty-up the gun! Who knows.

Regards,

Dryball

This book, The Longrifles of Western Pennsylvania has some info. and pictures regarding Great Western Gunworks. I have one with straight grain stock but with German silver. It is a good shooter with adjustable rear sight. Appears to be factory installed sight, which I thought was unusual.

Thanks to all who have replied! I find all of your comments very interesting and informative. At least I know there are other examples of this gunmaker that have survived the years. It must say something for the quality besides cheap??

Roaster- Here is my copy of J. H. Johnston's No.35 in that book, but made in walnut. Copied as exactly as I could determine from the photos, except in .50 caliber. The bottom rifle is my copy of the J. Fleeger rifle, No. 18 same book, but left handed and .50 caliber. Yes, Johnston could do fine work.
JohnstonFleegerrightbutt.jpg

Those are two great looking guns. I really like the Walnut with the silver. I also like Fleeger's rifle No 21. May have to save up my money and see if someone can recreate it.

No. 21 is a Fleeger half stock back action percussion target rifle with a false muzzle and target sights. It looks easy enough to build, but I don't know what the underrib is. Also, the brass patch box has exquisite engraving and the eagle cheek piece silver inlay is deeply etched, however that is done. I have also built two copies of the Joel Ferree rifle, No. 1 in the book, in walnut. I really like the lines and handling of that rifle, especially with a swamped barrel.

No. 56, "maker unknown", I am certain was built by Jacob Wigle. A rifle built by him and marked with his name was found in a dry cave with a mixed blood (Indian/white) child "burial" in the 1920s near here. I restored this rifle for our museum and have built three copies of it. Have researched him and some of his family. Wrote a scholarly article about him and the rifle in our Vernal library's "Outlaw Trail" journal, summer issue.

Back