• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Buying scrap lead question ...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the day it was lead water pipes but that isn't a thing anymore , at least around here ....perhaps car batteries ? but I've never stripped a battery for its lead plates before , and it sounds like a nasty if not dangerous job .....
There isn't actually a lot of lead in modern batteries (compared to older batteries), but that isn't the problem. Aside from having to deal with the disposal of sulphuric acid and contaminants, melting down battery plates from modern batteries results in the release of arsine and stibine gas. Both are highly toxic, and fatalities have occurred when folks try to melt down the batteries to salvage the lead. Better way to deal with batteries is usually to shop around and find out who is paying the most for dead batteries, sell them, and use the money to buy lead.

My neighbor was about to throw away an old dry rotted casting net. I asked about the lead weights on the bottom of that throw net. I'm assuming they're real lead though wheel weight lead would work great as fishing weights.

Reactions: TDM
My neighbor was about to throw away an old dry rotted casting net. I asked about the lead weights on the bottom of that throw net. I'm assuming they're real lead though wheel weight lead would work great as fishing weights.
Do not assume ,most likely wrong most of mine varied immensely pure to hard and in between . Test and verify 1st with a hardness tester cheap/expensive doesn't matter but gives you a benchmark on hardness/Ed

I used to go around to the various street intersections and pickup many pounds of wheel weights. The things would fall off the wheels quite easily. They gravitate to the debris trash portions of the street that the cars don’t drive in. But since they went to lead free wheel weights that had become a dead end.

But you had to watch out for wheel weights as some had zinc in them. The zinc poisons the lead so that it won’t melt right as you can’t get the temperature high enough with a bullet casting electric pot. Thus you can’t pour it into a bullet mold. You wind up with a pot of unuseable material.

I used to go to the various junk yards and buy some of their buckets of wheel weights and scrap lead too. Some plumbers sold me their lead that they salvaged from old buildings too. Good stuff from the plumbers.

But heck I shot wheel weight bullets for years out of muzzle loaders. Technically for round balls the patch tends to fill in the rifling grooves not the ball itself. Thus the ball may not even touch the rifling. Of course for smoothbores what lead you shoot doesn’t matter much if any.

Roofers can be your best friend......

Roof boot.jpg

I scour scrap yards, craigslist, and talk to roofers. It helps that my father in law owns a roofing company! Sheet lead and vents from roofs are the best, but lead pipes if you do find some are great too. Those types of lead usually have some tin solder on some of it so cut that off and save for harder alloys if you want it to be really soft. I have several sources and once they get to know you and what you're looking for they generally will start putting stuff to the side for you. This is what I did today, 193 lbs!View attachment 209583View attachment 209584
Any tricks to make getting the ingots out easier?

Just curious .... I've hoarded quite a bit of lead but wouldnt mind having more . I asked the local junk yards about lead and they were more than willing to sell me it cheap but its 5 gallon buckets full of wheel weights ....and for the life of me I just could not get them to understand I want pure lead ....so , my question ...where do folks find lead these days ? What do I ask for other than lead ? Back in the day it was lead water pipes but that isn't a thing anymore , at least around here ....perhaps car batteries ? but I've never stripped a battery for its lead plates before , and it sounds like a nasty if not dangerous job .....Are there any other things that I am missing that would have enough lead it in them to make them worth obtaining for making round ball ? Thanks .....
I was stationed on a lighthouse in Maine in the early 70's. I stripped a few batteries that had no acid left. The lead was soft and worked well.
Nit Wit

Last edited:
Never had any luck trying to find scrap lead anywhere. I've been buying from a number of sources, mostly PB Castco. Home | pbcastco Lots of folks also use rotometals.

Also watch Midway and Brownells for sales with no shipping charges.

Yes, nowadays lead is being regulated to death. Plus they are banning lead from more and more hunting areas too. We might have to resort to other things like copper, resin or sintered materials and use sabots with the rifled barrels.

I bought a batch of lead from a plumber on eBay several years ago and I haven’t used much of it yet. Not sure if they still sell it or not there.

I have a couple of Lee ingot moulds that I pour my melted lead into. The ingots are a nice size to easily fit in my Lee melting pot. Most of my soft lead comes from pure lead pipes I get from plumbers.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Attachments

• pipe lead.jpg
    pipe lead.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 0
I agree the muffin pan ingots are attractive conveniently sized and all but they don't fit too well in the Lee melting pot.

I have a Lyman pot so it isn’t a problem. Also muffin tins come in different sizes from those for giant muffins to the mini muffins.

I smelt both soft lead and public range scrap. I use metal stamps to mark the soft stuff from the harder range mix. Neither is super hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back