• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buying patch material

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landngroove

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to start making my own patches for shooting round balls. Do fabric stores sell pillow ticking material, or linnen in different thickness? I would like material in the .015"-.018" thickness. After reading some of the different posts, experimenting with different size and shape patches interests me. Thanks for any info.

Fabric stores are good choices and so is Wally-World. I bought pillow ticking from there at .015 thick that works fine for both my rifles. Denim comes in various thicknesses and is also good for patches.

I just got 1/2 a yard of ticking at the wal-o-mart that mic'd at .014-5 and it cost about $2.00.Will be seeing how well it works this weekend maybe.

Pillow ticking material,just purchase some from walmart 1 yard think it was $3.00 bucks ,look for the material that has 1/4 blue stripe on it

I got the last 2+ yards of a bolt of red/white it mikes a .018" with sizing. I'm gonna wash half and try again. :winking:

Any good fabric store should have it, but as already mentioned, Wal-mart carries it at prices just about anyone can afford.

I got the last 2+ yards of a bolt of red/white it mikes a .018" with sizing. I'm gonna wash half and try again.

I bought the last two yards at the local walmart. I haven't had a chance to mic it yet. They had a lot of blue stiped ticking left though so I'll probably pick up a little of that on my next trip. I don't think I'll get two yards, though.

Send me a private message and I'll send you a piece to try. I should be able to send enough for a few shots without seriously depleting my supply. :haha:

Another thought that I've had is using canvas for patching has anybody tried this? Is it something that I should just forget about? I haven't tried denim either. I took a piece of an old pair of jeans to the range the last time I went, but it was way too thick and I couldn't even start the ball.

Canvas is GREAT, the trick is finding some thin enough as alot of canvas is quite thick. The thinest canvas I have found is 22 thousands and it works quite well in a couple of my guns. Levi denim is too thick at around 30 thousands+, however I have found good denim at the cloth shop that was around 24-26 thousands that is just perfect for my 50 cal getz barrel.

Hope that helps

Othern

The local Joann-ann Fabrics store carries a ticking that runs .022-.024". It is so stiff from the sizing in it that you definitely need to wash it before using it. It will almost stand up by itself it is so stiff.

Look up Carolina Calico on line. The owner knows how to measure cloth to get you the thickness you need. I'll get the phone number. I can't remember the web address.
Bimbo

All the ladies look at me weird when I come in carrying a dial caliper & start micing the cloth. Usually when I find one I like I buy the whole bolt. Found a 30 yard bolt of .018 at Handcock Fabrics a while ago. It is stiff as all get out but I just wet it with my liquid lube & it works fine. I never wash the material because after having done it several times, I can see no diff whatsoever except it is allot harder to cut after it is washed.

Now & then find some at Walmart but their pillow ticking is thinner than most, compressed at .011 to .014 so you want to find the one you want. They usually have red striped, blue striped & no stripes all there together. And you cannot go by the numbers or bar codes of them being the same thickness, as I have tried that & they will vary 4-5 thousands per bolt. One day found some .015 there in red & bought the 15 yd bolt, went back to get a friend a bolt of it & same number but it was .011 So take a mic or dial caliper. Also check it at one edge , middle, other edge. I found some one day that was .020 on one edge 2" wide the entire bolt, but all the rest of the material ws .017, so check it in several places.

I also know that people mic them different. I mic my crushed with a dial caliper. A friend of mine mics his light & what I say is .018, he mics at .020, so you kinda have to be your own judge on the material. Most of the Oxjoke material they claim is .015 mics at .012 to .013 for me. The reason I like the compressed mic is because you are going to conpress it, makes no dif what it mics at when fluffed out.

It is good to have an assortment of materials for dif balls & dif rifles. And if you find one you really like, I suggest you get allot or it.

As for cutting it, a rotary cutter & board will make some patches up fast. I can cut 10,000 1" patches in about 15 minutes and that includes getting out the material, board, cutting them & putting it all away. You lay out 36 x 36 sheet of material 8 layers thick, put the rule on it for a cutter guide & take the cutter & start rolling & in 5 min you will have enough patches to last you for 5 years. The nice thing is the board has increments on it, so it is easy to do 1", or 1 1/4", or 1 1/2" or whatever. One day I set it up & cut 10,000 patches in 1", 1.25", 1.5", 1.75", and 2" and it took me about an hour. It takes longer to rough count them & separate them into bags of 1000 than it does to cut them out. ( CAUTION: This rotary cutter WILL relieve you of your fingertips too before ya know it, as it is basically a rotary razor blade.........)

:results:

birddog6, I take it if you are cutting that many that fast, you are just cutting strips and you cut your patchs at the muzzle. Am I correct? How do you lube them if you are using strips and how do you carry a strip with all the mess on it?
Maybe I am getting off topic to much, if so please disregard

Wal-Mart also has 100% Cotton Flannel for $1.57/yd. Cutting 2 1/4" patches (like the Kleen-Bore for .45 and Shotguns)yourself, is $0.99/100pcs. At the last gun-show I attended, 100 Flannel patches were over $4.50!

You can save a lot in doing a few things yourself (not really, you just shoot more!)

RobW: Last time I figured the cost from Walmart for the flannel material, by the time you buy the flannel & cut it is almost as cheap to buy the patches. Flannel dosen't make good ball patching material, tho it is good for cleaning & swabbing.

Griz: No, not cutting strips, cutting squares. Have shot squares & round patches for 30 years & can't find a bit of dif in them at all, except the square is Much easier & faster to cut.

You buy the large cutting mat & the large ruler for same. (Don't buy the board with the cutter mounted as it will only cut about 3 layers at a time) Lay the material on it in 8 layers & take the 60mm rotary cutter & you cut 8 layers at a time at the increments you want.(1" or 1.25", or 1.50", etc) Then you turn the mat, material & all 90 degrees & you cut it all the same again & if cutting 1" patches you get 1296 patches per layer x 8 layers = 10,368 patches pre cutting. Takes about 5 min to set up, 5 min to cut them, 5 min to put it away, once ya get used to using the cutter & setting up & etc. First time may take ya 30 min.

See when you cut it using the large ruler as a guide, the material stays right there on the mat in place, so you just move to the next inch, slice again, then on to the next inch, slice again & etc.

When you are all done you have them all still laying there on the board & I just count over 3 1/2 rows & that is around bout 1000 patches or so, toss them in a bag & grab 3 1/2 rows again & bag them, & etc.

CAYUTION: Again, this rotary cutter is a rotating razorblade ! It has NO Brains & No Mercy.......... That sucker WILL remove your fingers in a heartbeat.........

:results:

I happen to have a button press. This is a little mechanical press designed to cut round circles (just the right size for .50 to .54 cal patches) of cloth and vinyl to make upholstery buttons. Works great. I cut strips, accordian them, press and about 20 patches per pull of the handle.

Latest posts

Back