• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

buying muzzleloaders, if you had to do it all over what would you have bought and not bought

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
im on vacation this week so ive been shooting some of my rifles its only been 6 years since my re-introduction into traditional muzzleloading. looking over what i have bought, what i use, and what i wish i had. i really am most fond of Hawken style rifles and the trade style rifles, Kentucky/Tennessee style rifles of my 40 plus percussions i have 5 total that meet that criteria i own 1 flintlock rifle and should probably add a flintlock shotgun at some point i own 4 SXS 12 gauges A pedersoli double .72 a plains pistol. most of my percussions are rifles with barrels 26 inches and shorter my renegades, my Big boars White mountain carbines, my grey hawks and tree hawks. out of these ive shot maybe 13 of them ive hunted with 8 of the 13 ive shot. i had 6 more in which ive gifted to friends and family to get them started. i doubt i ever get rid of any of them but if i had to do it over i doubt id bought a .32 but rather a .36 i wouldnt have bought the pedersoli kodiak .72 i would have bought a TC hawken in .54 rather than buy other barrels for my tcs. just something fun to discuss

Well...wish I'd bought ten Stainless Old Armies at their cheapest (Still have mine).

Original SXS shotguns - were inexpensive in the 60's - still have the best two. Great purchase was the Beretta 200th aniversary 12 ga O/U - love that gun still. Two combo rifle/shotgun percussions, originals, they're keepers. Various original percussioin rifles - keepers which I, on rare occasion like to shoot. Lyman Great Plains .50 - keeper. H&A underhammer .45 - sold one, keeping one. Ithaca Hawken .50 - keeper. Custom Flintlock Fowler - keeper. Custom Big Rifle w/Original Brown Bess Lock - keeper. Lyman .44 Remington - keeper. Two "Tingle" .40 pistols - keepers. Remington 700 ML .50 - keeper. Coupla other originals somewhere around here - keepers for now.
Original 12 ga. percssion fowler - just because I like to shoot squirrels with it. Hatfield Flint .45 - presentation gun from Sheriff's staff - deer killin' keeper.

Thinned the herd of "Classic Arms" junk pistols, brass frame revolvers, projects I'll never finish. Plastic stock T.C. "New Englander", and Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle (after I bought the last three replacement mainsprings known to exist). Several ML's from the 60's when BP was just starting to revive - manure guns to start with, some were made to trade to "natives" somewhere (head hunters? dunno) junk.

Well my first Muzzleloader was a T/C Hawken Flint Lock in 50cal. Bought it 30 years ago and still have it. Have had a variety of muzzleloaders since then and still own all of them. At the time I didn`t really know what I was buying ( it was a muzzleloader) with the T/C but over time have come to realise I actually bought in my opinion the one to beat first off.

I'm relatively new to BP...a year and a half. My first was a synth/cerakote Deerhunter. I was looking more at corrosion resistance. I don't know why. Relative humidity here is 30% even in the winter for heaven's sake.
I just added a nicely aged Investarms Hawken .50 because I like the way they fit. Nice patina too.
Mebbe I'll talk to Mr. Hoyt about smoothing the Deerhunter bore to something fun. It's got a good lock.
An unfired blue ROA almost literally fell into my lap a couple months ago. Estate thing. That was cool.
I got smart and laid in powder and primers when I found them.
Am I enjoying my new sport? Well.... yeah.

wm

Last edited:
Tough call on whether I would have bought my Pedersoli /Lyman GPR, (which I like and thinks is great quality...just heavier than hell) or the original model which would have been at least a couple lbs lighter and easier to carry.

Thank you men I wished I'd had bought more slow twist rifles especially when not hunting I've noticed when shooting patched round balls they clean up much better than the muzzleloaders I use Conicals in

So Sheriff John did you break any main springs on your Browning? No problems with mine but I don't shoot it much. I would like to find a extra tho.

I have about a dozen ML rifles starting in the 70’s, and have kept all but one which was given to my nephew about 20 years ago. My first rifle was a TC Hawken Percussion, the balance, flintlocks
They evolved in price/quality over a 50 year period. I have no regrets as each rifle was admired, and fit my needs at the time. Were I to start over, knowing what I know now, I’d start with my one of my most recent acquisitions.

im on vacation this week so ive been shooting some of my rifles its only been 6 years since my re-introduction into traditional muzzleloading. looking over what i have bought, what i use, and what i wish i had. i really am most fond of Hawken style rifles and the trade style rifles, Kentucky/Tennessee style rifles of my 40 plus percussions i have 5 total that meet that criteria i own 1 flintlock rifle and should probably add a flintlock shotgun at some point i own 4 SXS 12 gauges A pedersoli double .72 a plains pistol. most of my percussions are rifles with barrels 26 inches and shorter my renegades, my Big boars White mountain carbines, my grey hawks and tree hawks. out of these ive shot maybe 13 of them ive hunted with 8 of the 13 ive shot. i had 6 more in which ive gifted to friends and family to get them started. i doubt i ever get rid of any of them but if i had to do it over i doubt id bought a .32 but rather a .36 i wouldnt have bought the pedersoli kodiak .72 i would have bought a TC hawken in .54 rather than buy other barrels for my tcs. just something fun to discuss

Are you willing to adopt? I'll eat my carrots and I'm too old to be put through college.

I Have a Pedersoli 10 gauge s x s that I will never sell or give away. It fits me and it shoots well. My first and only BP shotgun. I have given away several rifles and pistols that weren't being used to a family that can't afford to purchase their own, but take fantastic care of what they have. I would rather my weapons be treated well than make a few dollars off them. (it makes me happy to see them smile) My wife's Pedersoli 1984 36 side slapper will be with us always and my first kit, a Pecatonica Tennessee Poor Boy will also. (to afraid to let anyone else shoot it) I have a Lyman Deerstalker 54 that will stay with me. I would have preferred a flint but the one that I have shoots so well..... And although it has been a while since I shot it, my Gibbs .451 is a keeper. I doubt that I will ever again sell a rifle or pistol to anyone that I do not know.

I've only had one muzzleloader that I simply didn't like, it was a Pedersoli Cabelas brand 12 ga SxS. The gun was built just fine but I thought one with screw-in chokes would be the cat's meow. Nope with two full choke tubes installed, it was a bear to try and load it, I guess that's the reason most of the older one are cylinder bores.

So Sheriff John did you break any main springs on your Browning? No problems with mine but I don't shoot it much. I would like to find a extra tho.
Warden and I bought JMR's the minute they came out, both killed deer with them year after year, shot many weekly matches, etc. Then, as cocked the hammer back on a nice, fat doe ...the mainspring snapped. Browning had ceased handling replacements but I found the place that had purchased remaining stock and ordered a replacement mainspring. First time I cocked it ...snap..broken. Called same place and was told there were only two left ..period...no more. Bought both, intalled new one. life was good ..until a few weeks later that one broke as well. Mainspring #4- I pray is still working for whom ever bought my old "Johnny". It was a good shooter, for sure.

Saddens me to see what' happened to "primitive weapon" deer season. Originally limited to single-shot muzzle loaders in the 60's, it's morphed into AR's with "braces", scopes, even silencers. Not trying to change thread, but darn few reasonably-priced, authentic repo rifles/shotguns available. Bettter keep what we have.

My first rifle was a Mowrey Allen and Thurber, wish I still had it. Also my first flint, a navy arms ‘Kentucky Rifle’.
I’ve bought two Zouaves and sold them soon after. My first was early in my time in the sport. Second twenty years later when I knew what I was doing. Both just turned out not to be fun for me.
For years I wanted a NWG but when I got one it just wasn’t as nice to shoot as my centermark TFC.
Built a Leman .54 trade rifle. Very uncomfortable to shoot. Umph

I've never owned a production gun, but in a moment of weakness I sold a nice hunting gun that I really liked. It wasn't anywhere near authentic, but after I added a sling, it was a really great rifle to tote. .50cal., 28" H&H barrel, L&R lock, and it weighed about 5lbs. Great in a tree stand. Hind sight is always 20/20.

1627424184360.png

Back