• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

buying muzzleloaders, if you had to do it all over what would you have bought and not bought

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first rifle was a 50 caliber Thompson Center Hawken bought used from a pawn shop. I got sucked into Sam Fadala’s opinion that a 1-48” twist barrel in that caliber wasn’t very accurate for either ball or bullet. I spent the next decade trying different Green Mountain Barrels, settling on a 15/16” 54 cal.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have started with a Lyman GPR and pistol in 54 caliber, before the warnings were added to the barrels. Or maybe a CVA Hawken and Pistol as they were 1-66” twist.

I have since sold off most of my production guns, including the modern stuff in order to acquire a few custom models. I’m still trying to get used to a long rifle after shooting half-stocks with Crescent buttstocks most of my life.

As many of you know, I buy, sell and trade guns to support my hobby. As a result, I get to try different guns all the time.

Walt

Last edited:
Only traded one gun ever. A Hawken for a 243 varmint rifle. Had coyote problems with the livestock and they needed to be thinned fast...many at long range. That Hawken was beautiful...built it myself and wish I still had it.

Last edited:
My first rifle was a 50 caliber Thompson Center Hawken bought used from a pawn shop. I got sucked into Sam Fadala’s opinion that a 1-48” twist barrel in that caliber wasn’t very accurate for either ball or bullet. I spent the next decade trying different Green Mountain Barrels, settling on a 15/16” 54 cal.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have started with a Lyman GPR and pistol in 54 caliber, before the warnings were added to the barrels. Or maybe a CVA Hawken and Pistol as they were 1-66” twist.

I have since sold off most of my production guns, including the modern stuff in order to acquire a few custom models. I’m still trying to get used to a long rifle after shooting half-stocks with Crescent buttstocks most of my life.

Walt
I bought into the Fadala mentality as well…then I started shooting a couple of guns with the 1:48 twist…yeah I saw the light…

I’d have bought a new High gloss ROA 5-1/2in barrel w/ fixed sights. If I could find one now I probably couldn’t afford it
Other than that I’m very happy with the way my collection is growing.

I have two that I purchased that I am not necessarily having buyers remorse or regret, more of a "Just not what I thought" kinda thing.

My 3rd Model Dragoon is a very nice revolver and all I just find that shooting it is not as much fun as I thought. Been thinking of trading it for Mountain/Hawken Pistol in .54. Then there is my Grandson's little 36. Its not a bad little rifle. I have put invested in the little rifle by replacing the percussion lock and double set triggers but I bought the rifle before I knew what was correct and not correct historically speaking. Its a kit gun that was built in the 80s and whoever built it took some liberties so to speak. Plus, its got a crack in the stock just above the wrist near the lock. Its been repaired (Sorta) but I know its there. So, no real regrets...guess its more of a dissatisfaction. Maybe one day get the Grandsons rifle restocked and trade the 3rd model to someone that will appreciate it more than I...maybe.

RM

Cool thread. There are a whole lot of gun I should have bought then there are the ones I had an opportunity to buy but passed on and those I wish I'd never sold.

Missed Opportunities

.58 GRRW flintlock Hawken offered me for $750 in about 1986, mint condition.

.45 side by side percussion round ball rifle by Ted Fellowes that printed both barrels point of aim at about 75 yards. I can't recall but I think it was about $450.

Berreta's 12 gauge over under, discounted when discontinued.

45 T/C Seneca I ran into near the close of an antique show I'd accompanied my wife to, about $200.

Regretted Sales;

.50 GRRW Leman, needed cash to license my truck after a rather pricy breakup, I'm way sure I miss this gun, and some others, more than that girl.

.50 Ted Fellowes full stock Beaver Lodge, darn women.

.50 Ted Fellowes Pennsylvania rifle with pre-production Sharon swamped barrel and wooden patch box. Got this one back when the owner passed but I'd have taken better care of it.

Guns once cataloged no longer in production;

WHERE DO I BEGIN!

If I had my time again, knowing what I know now, I would not have bought a Peter Gonter Lancaster County flintlock rifle in excellent condition for just under $4500 back in 1993, knowing that in less that three months it would have been stolen by some scumbag at a show-and-tell at our gun club.

That would have been hard to handle.

My father told me once, when you buy something used, you are buying someone else's problems. Unfortunately, if yo do not ask ALL the right questions or the seller is less than forth coming, you can end up with a problem.(IMHO)

If I cant inspect the item and talk with the owner, I dont bother taking the risk.

My father told me once, when you buy something used, you are buying someone else's problems. Unfortunately, if yo do not ask ALL the right questions or the seller is less than forth coming, you can end up with a problem.(IMHO)
Yup I understood this. Seller advertised as good condition. GB is supposed to have a program to mitigate these type of buyer seller disputes.
Just posting for other buyers as a warning that GBs Buyer Protection Plan is bogus. IMO.

Yup I understood this. Seller advertised as good condition. GB is supposed to have a program to mitigate these type of buyer seller disputes.
Just posting for other buyers as a warning that GBs Buyer Protection Plan is bogus. IMO.
GB is a middle man and will do very little to help you resolve any issues(IMHO)

I should have kept my 1st muzzleloader. It was a T/C Renegade with a .56 smoothbore barrel. Shot round balls great, never tried shot. Took my first mz whitetail with it. I was a fool to sell it!
I still have a .54 Renegade that shoots great, and I just picked up a new, never fired .56 smoothbore barrel for it. Now if I can find any shot and wads, I should be in “hog heaven”. E18A8174-A446-4323-A58F-9C1BD34C8A59.jpeg

How did it happen, any idea who did the dirty deed ?

We really don't know how, but there was a substantial press of people around the tables at that time, an no idea who did it - in fact, there were not even suspects. With so many people walking in an out of the roof with gun slips of all kinds, one more would not have been noticed. A moment's distraction by somebody - probably one of two people working together - and next time the stall-holder looked, it had gone. No CCTV, either.

My two biggest regrets were selling a custom repro of an 1817 common rifle in flintlock and a fusil de chase that was the second kit I ever put together from Pecatonica. I really miss those firelocks . I have since picked up a couple of Pedersoli products but they just weren’t the same.

im on vacation this week so ive been shooting some of my rifles its only been 6 years since my re-introduction into traditional muzzleloading. looking over what i have bought, what i use, and what i wish i had. i really am most fond of Hawken style rifles and the trade style rifles, Kentucky/Tennessee style rifles of my 40 plus percussions i have 5 total that meet that criteria i own 1 flintlock rifle and should probably add a flintlock shotgun at some point i own 4 SXS 12 gauges A pedersoli double .72 a plains pistol. most of my percussions are rifles with barrels 26 inches and shorter my renegades, my Big boars White mountain carbines, my grey hawks and tree hawks. out of these ive shot maybe 13 of them ive hunted with 8 of the 13 ive shot. i had 6 more in which ive gifted to friends and family to get them started. i doubt i ever get rid of any of them but if i had to do it over i doubt id bought a .32 but rather a .36 i wouldnt have bought the pedersoli kodiak .72 i would have bought a TC hawken in .54 rather than buy other barrels for my tcs. just something fun to discus

im on vacation this week so ive been shooting some of my rifles its only been 6 years since my re-introduction into traditional muzzleloading. looking over what i have bought, what i use, and what i wish i had. i really am most fond of Hawken style rifles and the trade style rifles, Kentucky/Tennessee style rifles of my 40 plus percussions i have 5 total that meet that criteria i own 1 flintlock rifle and should probably add a flintlock shotgun at some point i own 4 SXS 12 gauges A pedersoli double .72 a plains pistol. most of my percussions are rifles with barrels 26 inches and shorter my renegades, my Big boars White mountain carbines, my grey hawks and tree hawks. out of these ive shot maybe 13 of them ive hunted with 8 of the 13 ive shot. i had 6 more in which ive gifted to friends and family to get them started. i doubt i ever get rid of any of them but if i had to do it over i doubt id bought a .32 but rather a .36 i wouldnt have bought the pedersoli kodiak .72 i would have bought a TC hawken in .54 rather than buy other barrels for my tcs. just something fun to discuss
I kind of regret buying my NAA Super Companion. it's rather tedious to load, it cap jams quite a bit, and really isn't very functional.

Ha, I regret nothin'. Probably because I find the PITA guns to be the most interesting. Making them 'behave' is a challenge. I've had an unmentionable for years that's accurate but throws fliers. It sees a lot of range time. It's a battle of wits with that thing.

My percussion sidelocks, OTOH, are uniformly reliable and reasonably accurate, be they TC, Lyman, or Investarms. But I've made the jump to an off-the-shelf flinter that I haven't fired yet. I expect that'll give the unmentionable competition in the PITA dept.

Latest posts

Back