• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Buying advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmfriss

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello, I've managed to find a used T/C Percussion Hawken rifle chambered in .50 for relatively cheap. What kind of questions should I ask and what kind of pictures should I get of it before buying it? Also what is your guys' preferred carrier service for shipping black powder rifles?

Thanks!

My best advise is to make sure the bore is in very good condition. A bore light is recommended. Also that the lock & triggers function well. The rest is mainly cosmetic on the outside of the rifle and you as a buyer will decide if all is well in that department. I only ship my guns through the USPS. Packing well is very important but that is on the sellers plate.

Best of luck to you!

I would prefer an actual pic of the bore, rather than relying on a remote seller's statement.

If I bought it, I would ask the seller to remove the barrel/ramrod and bubble wrap the wood & the metal separately, with reinforced parcel ends (rifle are notorious for breaking out of the parcel ends under rough handling).

I send the now shorter parcel via USPS, as the parcel content doesn't need to be described.

Paying a bit more for shipping via USPS Priority Mail ensures that everybody who handles the parcel must sign for it (within USPS) - which will usually reduce the chance of damage or loss.

Get pictures of every inch of the rifle (top, bottom, and both sides) and also a picture of the muzzle and bore if possible. A picture of the lock on both sides. If the barrel is trash, take a pass on it because it will cost more to replace the barrel than it would be worth in my opinion. Nicks and small dents in the wood can be fixed easily enough with a little effort. Of course, all this advice will depend on the price you agree on with the seller. If I get one that needs some fixing, I don't expect to pay top dollar.

Almost all packages I ship go out via USPS click and ship. The extra cost, for me, is less than the time, driving and standing in line involved in taking direct to the P.O. I have shipped several ml long guns in full length packages. Never had to declare contents and never had a problem with pick up or delivery.

Modern shipping practices are to abuse the package a violently as possible. Make sure it is packed in a wood box. Card board boxes are insufficient to stand up to be thrown around like chord wood or being run over, which is SOP.

If I could not get a picture of the bore, I would count on it being rotten. Pay accordingly.

Many guys will say something like, "there are plenty of rifling's left" . That is a clue that it was shot with pyrodex and put away for a decade without cleaning. You now have to pay about $300 to fix or replace the barrel.

Hello, I've managed to find a used T/C Percussion Hawken rifle chambered in .50 for relatively cheap. What kind of questions should I ask and what kind of pictures should I get of it before buying it? Also what is your guys' preferred carrier service for shipping black powder rifles?

Thanks!
I bought an out of state BP rifle that turned out to have serious undisclosed problems. Then my problem was that I had no recourse because it was out of state. Never again will I buy anything from anyone who isn't well documented as being trustworthy.

I bought a kit from Midway and shipped into NY, no problems with that part (yet).

Latest posts

Back