• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buying A Used MuzzleLoader.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually a swarm of vultures is circling before the body is even cold.
Some 25 years ago myself and 2 "gunny" friends made a sorta pact that the last one(s) standing would step in and sell the others stuff. Well that is what we are doing and it works. Sending as much $ to family when they need the $ the most. I am doing all the blackpowder and other friend has an FFL for modern stuff. As for buying used Mls pay close attention to bores and locks. These are the first to be affected by poor maintenance or "Bubba" smithing. Also ask if barrel is clear and look for marks around plug. Many strange things seem to wind up in barrels and would be smiths think a pipe wrench is a gunsmithing tool.

Black powder enthusiasm is fairl low down here at the time. But It was "flying high" years ago. Where are all those guns now?

The SHOT show in LV every year is a good indication of BP popularity. The size of the BP vendor area has shrunk to less than the paint ball area. Those BP vendors who remain are mostly the high end and customs. Meet the Pietta and Umberti clan regularly but nothing like it used to be. Even Dixie looks like its on its last legs.

Some 25 years ago myself and 2 "gunny" friends made a sorta pact that the last one(s) standing would step in and sell the others stuff. Well that is what we are doing and it works. Sending as much $ to family when they need the $ the most. I am doing all the blackpowder and other friend has an FFL for modern stuff. As for buying used Mls pay close attention to bores and locks. These are the first to be affected by poor maintenance or "Bubba" smithing. Also ask if barrel is clear and look for marks around plug. Many strange things seem to wind up in barrels and would be smiths think a pipe wrench is a gunsmithing tool.
You and your friends are solid folks. Carry on.

One of my guns has a mark / scratch on the barrel near the breech plug. I asked a "gunsmith" if he could remove it and sure enough he could and did. With a 15 inch cresant wrench. I could have done that and with alot less marring. I thought I was dealing with a professional. Ha!

One of my guns has a mark / scratch on the barrel near the breech plug. I asked a "gunsmith" if he could remove it and sure enough he could and did. With a 15 inch cresant wrench. I could have done that and with alot less marring. I thought I was dealing with a professional. Ha!

How bout an unfired, beautiful .50 Browning Mountain Rifle with a steel half inch ball bearing rusted solidly into breech at plug?

Last edited by a moderator:
How bout an unfired, beautiful .50 Browning Mountain Rifle with a steel half inch ball bearing rusted solidly into breech at plug?
Almost makes a grown man cry. Even if and when you get the ball bearing out you're still going to have a very rusty problem on your hands.

Almost makes a grown man cry. Even if and when you get the ball bearing out you're still going to have a very rusty problem on your hands.

Yup carefully pulled plug and knocked out rusted bearing. Very bad pitting. Rest of bore was as new. Could have left it but pitted so bad/deep it would have gotten worse, Had to shorten barrel end by 1.5" rebreech and redo tenons. Story was owner thought it was loaded and couldn't remove "charge". I think he loaded it couldn't fire it pulled charge and attempted to clean with water. Water got in and around BB and the rest is history. Brought to us still looking NIB. Heads up to those using tight fitting shiny ball bearings as bore inspection reflectors. Funny what you remember from long ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
It never ocurred to me to use a ball bearing to reflect light off the bore. Do some people really do that?

Y
I have a small flashlight on my keyring. But I don't particulary like looking down a barrel that some uneducated shooter may have left loaded. Please use the guns ramrod and make sure there are no obstructions first , right?
you are so correct. I worked part time in my friends shop and it was unbelievable how many percussion rifles came in loaded, especially in the spring! People either selling them for fishing or boating equipment money. They were never unloaded and or poorly cleaned from the previous hunting and shooting season

I think there are plenty of muzzleloaders out there. But probably in bad shape on the inside. Would someone who just received one as a gift really know how to clean it? I've seen a nephew get one and really enjoy it, for a day or two. Then the newness of this toy wears off and its to the back of the closet this gun goes. And possibly still loaded and uncleaned.

Some have remained uncleaned and rusted away since new in late 70's. Have a otherwise brand new .50 New Englander with what i call a minor rusted bore that ive been planning to bore out to 20G. shame. Was shot once and left in closet.

Some of the guns you are going to run across on the used gun rack will look pretty good. But they'll be a hunk of rust on the inside. I really dont think some guys realize how corrosive uncleaned black powder can be. It's really not like stupidity on their part more like ignorance.

True, and I've also had them look like rust buckets and go for a "song" and when cleaned up, amazing results. I just bought an old Pedersoli Bess from the Internet, with a browned lock and barrel. Bore looks good in the photos. We'll see how well I can get it back to proper condition for The King's Army!!

So you never know. One of the nice things about the military muskets from Japan or Italy is that even if the barrel is roached, the parts tend to be pretty good, so as long as you don't pay more for the parts sans barrel than they are worth, you're good, OR be sure you have an "inspection" period if you buy online....

LD

True enough. Alot of these guns are hardly used. It's not like they've been "shot out" or overused. Its just that the previous owner probably shot it until the ammo ran low. Then just put it away without very much cleaning if any. I'm guessing that the enthusiasm ran out when the balls and caps ran out. A starter kit was usually part of the package. Then it became work.

Had one guy sell me a near new magnificent Pedersoli Bess "officers" for shipping cost cause his wife said it made him stink! LOL

These rusted guns ought to be a great source of parts. If you could convince the owner of the used gun rack that he really doesn't have collecters item on his hands. This is where one needs to run a clean patch down the bore and come up a little rusty.. Then maybe you can convince the seller to let you have it a greatly reduced price.

If you could convince the owner of the used gun rack that he really doesn't have collector's item on his hands

Then there's the fellow who thinks knocking $100 off the suggested retail price is a "deal", and either hasn't looked up what price used versions are selling at, let alone what they are priced at when new and on sale, OR is refusing to acknowledge that the market price for that used rifle or smooth bore isn't nearly what they think it should be. :confused:

I've had sellers of "Bess" muskets give very rude replies..., once when the feller restocked used Jap Bess parts, but forgot to leave the front few inches of the barrel bare for the bayonet.:confused: Ran the stock with the nose cap right up to the muzzle (dunderhead). Another got down right insulting when I asked why the rear sling swivel was attached to the stock about 8" below the trigger guard instead of through the front of the trigger guard as normally seen. Gave me some sort of BS resume of the "expert" that told him to do it that way....so I sent him a link on Amazon to get DeWitt Bailey's book on the Bess. o_O A third as mentioned wanted $1100.00 for a used Bess..., and I very politely directed him to a site where they were then on sale (new and under warranty) for $1000..., and asked why I'd buy his used musket when I could get a brand new one for less....his reply you'd a thought I said his daughter was homely or something akin to that....

LD

Back