• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buying A Used MuzzleLoader.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We all pretty much agree, American made is the "desirable" product on the used gun rack. Other than a 50 cal. Whats a hot item? Are guns which are no longer being produced a good deal for parts possibly. Or is there an opposite effect. A certain gun is avoided because parts are hard to come by?

It wouldn't have been the same if T/C had called their rifle a Dimmick. Also there are some Hawken rifles made in 45 caliber and smaller with brass hardware that was used on Dimmick and other makers' rifles that is similar to the T/C "Hawken" hardware.

Back when I owned a succession of TC guns I never thought about altering one to make it fit better, I took a file to the last two that passed through my shop. Having built a few plank builds I had an idea of what I wanted to do.

I removed a lot of wood and got a much sleeker rifle, here is my cheekpiece reduction.

hawken cheek piece 001.JPG

Last edited:
Well TC parts and CVA parts are drying up...,
On the other hand CVA used rifles tend to go for a lot less than the TC rifles..., though stick to caplock in CVA unless you want to tinker a lot with the CVA flinter (imho). You can, luckily, replace the flintlock on either by getting an after market lock by L&R..., which must be fitted. {(iirc) you can replace the caplock lock too.}

Uncommon and sought-after, and no longer in production....TC Seneca and Cherokee rifles...especially if you get two barrels; one for deer and one for small game. They were small and light so were/are a lot of fun to carry in the field. The TC New Englander is also sought, IF you get a rifle barrel and the 12 gauge barrel together. (imho) ;) The CVA "mountain rifle" caplock in .58 also seems to be well liked..., I think for the caliber :D

The others are still made...Investarms makes several variations, so does Pedersoli, and Traditions is importing a half-stocked rifle too (they may even be a source for parts for old CVA rifles...not sure if theirs is from the same manufacturer as the old CVA...they look very similar....).

LD

That last picture, the one with the rusty "Pyrodex'' bore. Would any of you buy it if the price was low or walk away?

Price is right, I would buy it, I have parts on the shelf from frozen locks to rusted out barrels. My wife calls it tinkering, I just like the different parts it takes to assemble a working firearm. Amazing what electrolysis and PB Blaster will do. Most of the time the oxidation is not as bad as it looks.

No, it just seems that folks are always getting riled up with T/C using the name Hawken, they had to call their rifle something.

I like the rifles just fine and have quite a few of them in the safe. The stocks fit me physically well which a bunch of folks complain about.
I love them. Got a bunch.

Earlier it was mentioned that parts for certain makes of BP guns was drying up. I was not aware that TC was not in production. Or is just with certain models ? Could anyone care to explain a little more on this subject? I've never owned a TC and dont really know too much on the history of this particular gun maker.

After TC was purchased by Smith & Wesson, they stopped making traditional sidelocks and honoring their lifetime warranty.
Then the New Hampshire TC plant was closed down and the rest of their production was moved to Springfield, Massachusetts.

TC also had a custom shop in Rochester, New Hampshire that was closed down named Fox Ridge Outfitters.

Have you ever noticed the similarity between TC's coil lock internals and the Lyman coil lock internals and the rest of the features of their gun hardware and designs?
I don't think that there was enough demand to keep them both in the sidelock business.

Last edited:
Is this the same company that made the Contender years ago? Then didnt they sell "in lines" for a while?

Yes, TC is the same Thompson Center company name now doing business and making products as a subsidiary of Smith & Wesson.
They're still in business except under new ownership.
They went in a new direction and now make a clone of the Ruger 10/22 as well as modern black powder guns and related products for "us".

Last edited:
There's no connection other than Lyman was a TC competitor essentially selling Italian made TC type clones at a much lower price than TC could because they were imported.
The Lyman guns became very popular because of their accuracy, price, quality wood, twist options etc...which all caused TC to lose their market share of traditional guns.
However TC always provided great customer service and fixed everyone's old TC guns for free.
Also many people didn't like the TC QLA muzzle feature for shooting patched round balls.
That was a bad decision that Investarms didn't copy.
But mostly because of the Lyman guns being so much more affordable and of very similar quality, S&W ended TC's production of traditional guns.
Folks were ordering the Lyman guns from their Walmart's gun catalog at almost half the price of a new TC.

Last edited:
QLA is a trademark for TC's recessed muzzle which stands for "Quick Loading Accurizer".

The end of the muzzle has no rifling and is slightly enlarged for easier and straighter loading...mostly for the benefit of loading & shooting conicals.

I think that many folks shy away from the QLA guns if they like shooting patched round balls.
Depending on production dates, some TC models were made both with it and without it.
A person often needs to ask if a TC gun has it or not since folks don't usually mention in their ads whether the gun has it or not.
Or if you see a gun on a rack, you need to check if it's a QLA model or not.
Some people don't know about it at all, or don't mind if it does have the QLA.
But I think that many more folks don't like it and don't want it, especially those who have had one before.
I think that having QLA can affect the value.
It can be removed, but it's a chore.

Once again thank you. The spreading and sharing information are functions of this forum and I'm sure I was not the only one informed on TCs.

Back