• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BUYING A REPLICA FROM UK? THIS NEEDS READING RIGHT NOW!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A stateside friend and frequent poster here got in touch with me today about a deal he is trying to make with a seller in the UK for a REPLICA live-firing black powder handgun. I stress the word 'replica', as this is NOT any kind of antique or even a de-activated firearm.

To his astonishment - and mine, I admit - he told me that the seller had quoted him a cost of £700 to ship it to him. Yes, read it again - £700. That is $987.00 - at the moment.

My response was to tell him to hold off doing anything right now - whinemeal, I would call up THE biggest dealer of such firearms in the UK, sure that they would be able to give me a response and maybe have good laff over it.

The news, as they say, was not good. The very pleasant lady I spoke to had this to say -

'I'm not surprised, as it's a Section 1 firearm. We are only sending genuine antiques out of the country right now, and even that is at huge expense, and we are are having a hard time getting powders IN, let alone getting anything OUT to the rest of the world.'

My buddy then asked if would be cheaper to send it in 'kit form' bit by bit.

Nope.

Here in UK a live-firing rifled-barrel replica is classed the same as any other Section 1 firearm, and EVERY single pressure-bearing component of a Section 1 firearm is classed as an operationally necessary item - barrel, cylinder and frame. Sending it in three pieces would be impossibly expensive as the documentation is the same for such a component as it is for a complete firearm.

I'm posting this here in an effort to educate you all on the current problems of getting anything except a genuine antique out of UK right now.

There are a few other people here who live in UK - perhaps they have had a different experience, but to hear the 'word' from the biggest UK dealer at 'first ear' is a sobering reminder.

Last edited:
Yes, our friend above is dead right, get caught and you will go to prison for 3 years plus. .......... but it's only £700 to ship a $45,000 .00 rifle It's not our side it's the USA paper work that's the problem, it's a lot of work.....best to export a big job lot.......I bid for a USA gentleman at Holts gun auction and by the time you send a £6500 rifle it's like £10,000 We managed to get a friend, actualy a firearms office, to take an 1870 air cane, in his baggage as a present, If it wasent for him being uk police it would have been confiscated But why buy from uk we make nothing here unless you want an £80,000 gun.. Holts auctions uk have a shipping company , but expensive, you see if we send 23 guns to the USA it's still £700
I have bought off USA. eBay, but anything gunny, the Feds go nuts, paranoid even...ha ha ...you have so much gear for building guns in the USA , forget about good old England.........it's a privilege to even own a shotgun in uk.....guns are heavily police regulated except S58 guns obsolete and made before 1928 Muzzle loading rifle pistol S1 Police certificate for use on club ranges only

France that's different any BP gun you can buy and shoot like buying sweets, no permit no police......but they have this thing called " permit to carry" I can buy one take it home or direct to a hunt or club, But I need this permit to carry to have them in my motorhome.......we are buggered every way us poor plebs, If you are rich with land you can get anything no big deal . 5 years on and I am no wiser at getting a " permit to carry". I take a compound bow now. Ha ha

Stay safe life is tough for us uk plebs , it was a green and pleasant land, it was safe till the Chinease Black Death arrived now the Asians have brought it in we are on a third wave, lockdown again........I cannot hunt in France now , they have banned all uk tourists because of the Indian varient 😳😳😳😳😳

Do not worry boys it will not be long until we are all in the same boat unless things can be held off a bit here in the what was the land of the free. Where's Brit he needs too chime in on this atrocity.

Back