• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buying a kibler colonial. 54 or 58?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to a description of the American riflemen opposing him during the AWI, one British officer stated that, almost without exception, their weapons were bored "36 to the pound." By definition, this means they were 36 gauge,, or about .54 caliber.
Back then (36 to the pound) would have been 36 bore and that would be about a 50 caliber. 7000 grains = 1 pound divided by 36 = 194.4 ball weight. 29 bore (241 ball weight) is closer to the 54 caliber. Caliber and gauge are terms that appear to have come around at a later date.

Back then (36 to the pound) would have been 36 bore and that would be about a 50 caliber. 7000 grains = 1 pound divided by 36 = 194.4 ball weight. 29 bore (241 ball weight) is closer to the 54 caliber. Caliber and gauge are terms that appear to have come around at a later date.
Hmmm. I was always told "bore" and "gauge" were the same thing, on opposite sides of the pond... Either I looked at the wrong line of the chart I consulted, or I looked at the wrong chart! To get the right diameter for a PRB to work in a .54 cal, I would probably go with a .531" (31 bore) ball. If, indeed, the .50 cal would be the more historically-correct option, that makes coming up with a rifle similar to what my ancestors in Morgan's Rifles and the Overmountain Men at King's Mountain and at Cowpens carried MUCH easier! Not to mention, I already have a .50 cal Hawken so I wouldn't have to expand my array of accoutrements as much..

Thank you for a MOST useful "Heads up!"

I think bore was used for the rifle description and gauge was used for the smooth bores. When the dust settles, a ball of 36 bore and ball of 36 gauge would be the same size. Also the terms were used so loosely that for all practical purposes they mean the same thing.

Saturday, I found out the .58 shoots very well at 72 yards 😉
DF0AE392-FD05-473A-A1AB-A4A0E3AE0B27.jpeg
9CDFC93E-6CEF-4CD0-B7F8-430448EAC4F0.jpeg

If I can ever get kiblers to respond to my emails I would be tempted to get a 58 one day. Yeah I already have a couple of 50s and a 54 but there is just something about 58s I love.
I agree with the other replies, call on the phone. I called once and left a message and Jim called me back the next day. Very nice man with very nice business practices.

.58 make for lighter gun would be my choice

So, it takes a little more lead are you cheap? why buy a custom gun?

Don't need the power for targets don't load it fully ghesh 25-50 grains kills paper every time so long as it groups OK.

I've been shooting .54s for about 40 years - in Hawken rifles -and loved them. But I recently acquired a Kibler Colonial in .58, (thank you Bob!) and it just points.... better. I think you'll be very happy with your decision!!

Latest posts

Back